Quantcast

Thread: Thoughts on the Columbus Circle 16bit mini handheld megadrive?

Default Thoughts on the Columbus Circle 16bit mini handheld megadrive?

I just found out about this handheld megadrive. So far its a Japan only release.

More info here: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ble_mega_drive

There have been a lot of things like this over the years, but this one looks appealing to me for a couple reasons: it will take real cartridges, the case looks cool and vaguely remniscent of the early 90s genesis aesthetic instead of trying to look like a PSP, the sound isn't all out of tune like it is on the atgames stuff, and apparently the d-pad and buttons don't suck. I think its also a "genesis on a chip" rather than some kind of android emulation device.

I'm interested in more opinions on it from anyone who has one. I've heard it is not region free, and therefore US games that won't work on a JPN megadrive also won't work on this. I've seen on ebay that someone sells region modded versions of it, but I'd be interested to know if anyone can explain what the mod should be as I could probably handle any soldering myself.

I'd also like to know what color combinations this comes in. I've seen the black and purple, blue and white, and only on ebay, I saw one that was completely white. The manufacturer's website and amazon don't seem to showcase the white one, so was curious to see if there were other color combos.

Oh yeah, and does Paprium work on it

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

It looks cheaply made to me, but I haven't been happy with the carts CC released recently either.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Nameless One

I've been on the hunt for something like this for awhile. This looks to fit the bill but with it being region locked and the sound being incorrect, I'm just going to wait it out for something else. There was some talk on Retro-bit making a newer Nomad but I haven't heard anything about that for like over a year.

If you find something or go with this option I'm curious to know the details on how it turns out.

Thanks

That D-Pad looks awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That D-Pad looks awful.
    I agree, if the hardware is decent though it might be possible to swap in a better d-pad.

I've honestly been wondering recently if it makes sense to take a cheap Genesis mini and hack together something instead for on the go gaming. At least the emulation is solid there.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Looks like a knock-off of the Blaze Mega Drive "Ultimate Portable" (which funny enough, have a bad rep).

Outrunner

For portable MD/MCD/32X, the Anbernic RG-350M is hard to beat.

The "plus" (blue) version includes an external power adapter, the black & red version is battery only, I think.

I don't own one but read that it can play Paprium fine, so compatibility must be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    If you find something or go with this option I'm curious to know the details on how it turns out.

Thanks

I just bought one of these (the earlier black model) so I will put it through its paces when it arrives and report back (should be a couple weeks).

The "plus" (blue) version includes an external power adapter, the black & red version is battery only, I think.
    Yes, I've heard this as well. In fact I think I read that the black case has the words AC printed on it in an area that looks like it would contain a jack, but there is no jack on the black one

Ok it arrived today and I spent time playing with my US genesis cart collection (about 10 games). These impressions are for the black one that they released a year or two ago. There's a blue one out now that might be an improved design - it has an AC jack while this one does not. I have never tried any of the similar portable genesis stuff by atgames or blaze.

Initial thoughts are, this thing is smaller than I expected! It kinda feels like the first gen gameboy advance in terms of the dimensions and how small the dpad is and how small the buttons are. I can easily press down X,Y,A,B simultaneously with my thumb. That being said, its not too small to enjoy and the controls are easy to use. I don't feel like I'm fat fingering things.

The center of the dpad can press down like on an xbox 360 controller. Some people like this and some people don't. It didn't seem to hinder me while playing games like sonic or marble madness.

The system is region locked as expected. All of my games but Sonic 3 and Comix Zone work.
    Working games include: Sonic 1 and 2, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3 locked on to Sonic and Knuckles, Marble Madness, Ristar, Road Blasters, and Out of This World.

The cartridge cutout easily accommodates the dimensions of genesis cartridges. It's easy to put them in, but the cart slot has more "grab" to it than my genesis 2 or nomad, and you have to make an effort to pull the cart out.

I think a review said the plastic felt cheap. The plastic case is smooth, not textured, and the plastic feels like it is thinner and probably weaker than something like a nomad or game gear. That said, I'm not worried about it getting broken through standard use.

The LCD screen is good quality. No complaints. Nice resolution, clear picture, didn't notice any ghosting or low framerates or anything. Since the system is GBA sized, the screen is also quite small, its just a tad larger than 2 x 1.75 inches.

The sound is a mixed bag. The tempo and pitch sound accurate to me, however there is noticeable distortion, primarily on loud bass and lower-mid range frequencies. For example, in Ristar, when you spin around on a lever to exit the level, that bassy warbling sound effect is a prime example of something that distorts/clips on playback. The synth that starts about 28 seconds into Sonic 3's music for Ice Cap zone was also distorting. At first I thought this was simply due to the small speaker in the system, however I plugged my good quality headphones into the headphone jack and had the same distortion. Lowering the volume didn't change the distortion, so its probably an issue with the amp on the genesis on a chip hardware rather than the internal speaker or my headphones. I found a YT video about modding genesis on a chip hardware to get clearer sound, just a hunch but it might be applicable to the hardware that's in this system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vJWW9WaQ

All in all, it meets my expectations except for the audio distortion. It looks cool, the games seem to play well with the controls and look good on the screen, and the system is a heck of a lot more portable than the nomad or game gear. I really like the fact that it has a cart slot. I wouldn't pay $100 for one of these, but its a fun toy that I'll actually use, and since it takes conventional batteries, I see myself using it over my nomad.

Thread Information