Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sega’s Financial Troubles: An Analysis of Export Revenue 1991-1998

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It's not about late 94, the issues for SEGA started before that. Just look at Sonic 3 by the time of Sonic 3 sales were down and users weren't buying the games in the number they once did. I wouldn't like to think of some of the unsold stock SEGA had.
    I remember at the CES show SEGA saying Greendog was going to be bigger than Sonic and no doubt SEGA were expecting big sales from SOR III, Sonic & Knuckles, Ristar, Adv Of Batman

But by late 1993 and early 1994 many were just getting bored of the same type of game time and time again and going to the Arcades and seeing the wonders of 3D and coming home and playing the same right scrolling 2D style game
    Sonic 3 coming out in February 94 was a disaster for it sales wise. It would have competed against Aladdin for the number one selling game of Christmas 93' if it had been released in time. Sonic 3 barely outsold Sonic Spinball because it missed out on the holiday spike.

There is no doubt the market got oversaturated and sales took a dip for 16-bit during the late 93-94.
    Last edited by cowboyscowboys; 04-21-2021 at 03:26 AM.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

I read that Sega spent 30 million alone on Sonic 3 advertisement. Sega was very lose with its cash, its PR spend was huge maybe too big and not enough done over cashflow. I remember that SEGA Europe's Primetime Sega Mega-CD 1993 launch ad was the longest and most expensive in UK history at that time and that was just for the Mega CD. SEGA PR budget for 1993 was £65 million pounds that is an insane figure. SEGA UK didn't just sponsor the British F1 GP but the Willaims F1 team itself and anything to do with F1 never comes cheap

I say the Mega Drive was very like the PS of its time. Huge support and almost every game genre covered and appealed also to the more mature gamer and so while Nintendo could always boast huge sales for a single title, SEGA Mega Drive owners to me bought more quantity of Mega Drive titles. Maybe that would explain how despite a massive userbase, so few MD games ever sold more than a million copies.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I read that Sega spent 30 million alone on Sonic 3 advertisement. Sega was very lose with its cash, its PR spend was huge maybe too big and not enough done over cashflow. I remember that SEGA Europe's Primetime Sega Mega-CD 1993 launch ad was the longest and most expensive in UK history at that time and that was just for the Mega CD. SEGA PR budget for 1993 was £65 million pounds that is an insane figure. SEGA UK didn't just sponsor the British F1 GP but the Willaims F1 team itself and anything to do with F1 never comes cheap

I say the Mega Drive was very like the PS of its time. Huge support and almost every game genre covered and appealed also to the more mature gamer and so while Nintendo could always boast huge sales for a single title, SEGA Mega Drive owners to me bought more quantity of Mega Drive titles. Maybe that would explain how despite a massive userbase, so few MD games ever sold more than a million copies.
    I would agree with that. It's hard to compare sales numbers because for the most part they aren't all that reliable. Case and point the Sonic 1 sold 15 million copies vs Sonic 2 selling 6 million copies. Anyone who understands the market or buys/sells/collects knows that numbers is grossly innaccurate. Sonic 2 came out at the peak of the 16-bit era. Sold extremely well for people that already owned a Genesis and then was the main pack-in for almost 2 years (93-94). Sonic 2 simply put is the most common Sega Genesis game and comfortably so.

Also when people quote Nintendo sales numbers they include Japanese sales which isn't at all representitive of the Western market. The Japanese didn't have video game rentals so their "attach rate" was far higher then in the West. Then the obvious 18.5 million consoles sold vs 3 million speaks for its self.

So strictly speaking Western or U.S. sales numbers you would see the Super Nintendo like Sega not have lots of huge sellers. Like you said though Nintendo owners have always bought the big 1st party titles in drove. With the Genesis and Playstation you saw people buying a wider variety of games. I owned an N64 as a kid and literlly me and my friends all had the same 10-15 "must have" games. I would imagine being a 3rd party for Nintendo wouldn't be all that great because people just wait on the next big 1st party title. When I went over to a PS1 owners houses they would generally have far more variety in their collection.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

The PS1 owner's collection would also be mostly pirated. Talking about -97 timeframe, everyone I knew who owned a PS1 had had it modchipped.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    I would agree with that. It's hard to compare sales numbers because for the most part they aren't all that reliable. Case and point the Sonic 1 sold 15 million copies vs Sonic 2 selling 6 million copies. Anyone who understands the market or buys/sells/collects knows that numbers is grossly innaccurate. Sonic 2 came out at the peak of the 16-bit era. Sold extremely well for people that already owned a Genesis and then was the main pack-in for almost 2 years (93-94). Sonic 2 simply put is the most common Sega Genesis game and comfortably so.

Also when people quote Nintendo sales numbers they include Japanese sales which isn't at all representitive of the Western market. The Japanese didn't have video game rentals so their "attach rate" was far higher then in the West. Then the obvious 18.5 million consoles sold vs 3 million speaks for its self.

So strictly speaking Western or U.S. sales numbers you would see the Super Nintendo like Sega not have lots of huge sellers. Like you said though Nintendo owners have always bought the big 1st party titles in drove. With the Genesis and Playstation you saw people buying a wider variety of games. I owned an N64 as a kid and literlly me and my friends all had the same 10-15 "must have" games. I would imagine being a 3rd party for Nintendo wouldn't be all that great because people just wait on the next big 1st party title. When I went over to a PS1 owners houses they would generally have far more variety in their collection.
    Getting any accurate sales figures on Sega's Mega Drive or Master System games is hard work. It's like SEGA wasn't just lose with its cash but also its sales data and didn't really care as long as they were growing and making money. Nintendo has always had a loyal userbase that just buys their games in massive numbers, despite massive gulfs in userbase select N64 games sold in massive numbers compared to PS and you also saw that on the Wii U with Mario Kart 8 outselling many 360/PS3 titles.

I think the Mega Drive user just bought a broader range of games and a higher number of them, not buying one title in huge numbers like Nintendo could show very much like with the PS The Mega Drive had a title in almost any genre or sport (bar Darts) you could think of and like you say they was always a large timeline before each new big NCL game. Where SEGA were pumping out Sonic games every year
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information