Quantcast

Thread: Hands-On: Panzer Dragoon Remake

Saturn Hands-On: Panzer Dragoon Remake

Fans were surprised to learn that the original Panzer Dragoon would receive a remake in 2020. It started out with some hiccups, but updates smoothed out many of the issues and added new features. The result was a great reimagining of a Saturn classic. Read our full hands-on for all the details.

Good review by Joseph C., but from his tone I wasn't expecting the 4/5 at the end. Seemed more of a critique of a bygone genre than much about the game. Though I guess I wouldn't call Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox a cheap game either ($50 shipped as of the writing of this post) with no re-release in sight. The original Panzer Dragoon for Windows on the other hand is found fairly cheaply online, though also as of the writing of this post US copies seem to have dried up. It can be easily run in WINE on Linux or on Windows for anyone interested who doesn't want to pay $75 for the Saturn version, plus it is slightly better graphically than its Saturn counterpart. But note as the writer of this piece has, Panzer Dragoon is included in Orta.

The remake at $25 costs a little more than a copy for Windows. This is a wishlist game for me, as with the way Steam sales go these days it won't be too long before a Summer sale marks this down 75% to the $7.50 range. If it is a true to form remake of the original as Joseph C. says in his review, I'd peg its worth right about there.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thanks for the feedback. I should have clarified that I meant the digital version of Panzer Dragoon Orta which is a fair comparison since the remake is mostly available digitally unless you snagged the limited physical release. It is still impressive that a physical disc can be put in an Xbox Series X and it will be read though! From my perspective, I didn't need to say much about the game because it is more or less the same as the excellent original with a visual overhaul.

I didn't even realize Panzer Dragoon Orta was available digitally! A must buy for $10 for anyone with an Xbox of any generation for sure.

And like clockwork this game is now on sale for 75% off on Steam! $6.24 until May 24th.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    And like clockwork this game is now on sale for 75% off on Steam! $6.24 until May 24th.
    It's likewise on sale for about $6 on the PlayStation Store for PS4 if interested. I just downloaded it but havent played it yet. It didn't appeal to me originally but now I'm finally ready to give it a play through - mostly because my Saturn stopped working.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I played through all the levels and beat the PS4 version just now. I am actually quite satisfied with this effort. It was a fun play through, the visuals and frame rate are very good. I used the OG soundtrack, inverted Y axis, and classic reticle. I did get killed a couple times and continued. The final boss was easier than I expected. Photo mode looked very nice the few times I toyed with it.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Just picked up the Switch version today. It was $40 at Best Buy.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information