Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Sony Announces Closure of PS Store for PS3, Vita, and PSP...then reverses course!

  1. #1
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Sony Announces Closure of PS Store for PS3, Vita, and PSP...then reverses course!

    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04...ue-operations/

    The PS3 and Vita stores live to see another day after consumer backlash, but the PSP store still slated to close on July 2nd. I picked up a PSP for kicks on eBay that I am waiting to come in so I can stuff it with some cheap digital games before they close the store on July 2nd. As a newcomer to the system, some games for the system caught my eye as potentially worthwhile purchases before the shop goes down and as UMD purchases later:

    Power Stone Collection
    Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
    Tekken 2
    Metal Slug XX
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
    Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins
    Castlevania Chronicles (Is this on PSP?)
    Lunar: Silver Star Story
    Crazy Taxi Wars

    UMDs:
    Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
    After Burner Black Falcon
    Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron

    What are your favorite games for the PSP?
    Last edited by Baloo; 04-19-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  2. #2
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,301
    Rep Power
    137

    Default

    The Phantasy Star Portable Series is definitely worth getting if you like the series. Also the Anniversary Editions of Final Fantasy 1, 2, and Star Ocean 1 and 2 are worth picking up.

  3. #3
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,537
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    UMDs:

    Gradius Collection
    Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins
    Final Fantasy IV - The Complete Collection
    Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Silent Hill Origins

    Newís a good time to collect for the PSP, though finding games in the wild was much easier about 3 to 4 years ago. The prices might start going up soon.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  4. #4
    8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    677
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Parodius Portable
    Twinbee Portable
    Salamander Portable
    Gokumakaimura Kai, the revamped, and fetch quest-less Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, aka Revision 2
    Final Fantasy IV Complete
    Mega Man Powered Up

    These are some of the UMD's I own.

  5. #5
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Thanks for the recommendations all! Looks like a lot of these are on the PSP store. I picked up a used PSP 3000 with a 1GB Memory Card on ebay for $53. However, seller didn't describe it properly, described it as "Working w/ Stick Drift" which is not what was actually the case. This PSP was missing screws and actually needs a new ribbon cable. Need to now do all of these things, with parts on the way:

    • buy an OEM charger - $11.50
    • Replace the battery pack - $8.47
    • Pick up a microSD card and SD to Memory Card Pro Duo converter - $13.19
    • Replace the D-pad Ribbon - $13.19
    • Buy Playstation Card money to test shop functionality - $20 (Not being able to just add the exact amount of funds is pretty lame).
    • Buy a UMD game to test drive - $32 (Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast)
    • Pick up a Mini-USB cable to transfer files - $8.47
    • Buy a set of PSP 3000 Screws since this PSP is missing screws - $7.05


    So in what I thought was me getting a deal was actually not too good of a deal because the system wasn't in as working shape as I thought it was. But looking forward to playing some good PS1 and PSP games at an affordable price. I already picked up Power Stone Collection for $10, and looking forward to having Outrun 2006 and Star Wars Renegade Squadron for UMD on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  6. #6
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,537
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    It sounds like you got ripped off.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  7. #7
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It sounds like you got ripped off.
    You're not getting a PSP right now for less than $75 shipped working, and that is probably with no charger. If I can get at least $10 refunded partially by the seller, that would cover the cost of the part itself, so I'm not as worried about that. Sadly it seems that closing the PSP shop has spiked the PSP market. Thankfully I can fix this one and it is the best 3000 model with the best screen and it is not beat up.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  8. #8
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You're not getting a PSP right now for less than $75 shipped working, and that is probably with no charger. If I can get at least $10 refunded partially by the seller, that would cover the cost of the part itself, so I'm not as worried about that. Sadly it seems that closing the PSP shop has spiked the PSP market. Thankfully I can fix this one and it is the best 3000 model with the best screen and it is not beat up.
    It happens - I've bought portable consoles that needed similar fixes, the good news is that once you get done it will be better than 99% of those on eBay.

  9. #9
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,537
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You're not getting a PSP right now for less than $75 shipped working, and that is probably with no charger. If I can get at least $10 refunded partially by the seller, that would cover the cost of the part itself, so I'm not as worried about that. Sadly it seems that closing the PSP shop has spiked the PSP market. Thankfully I can fix this one and it is the best 3000 model with the best screen and it is not beat up.
    I don't know about you, but my time is worth something. If I had to pay an extra $35 to get a complete PSP, so I don't have to pay any repair costs and pay for shipping of all of those part, I'll pay it. It's going to cost you more than it would to just pay someone $135 for a PSP that has a charger, a memory card and a good battery.

    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/el...309375497.html


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/11242664856...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-26-2021 at 11:48 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  10. #10
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Gamevet: Not to be argumentative, but the one you linked to on eBay is a Japanese model with the X and O buttons swapped, and comes with a 3rd party charger, and only a 4GB memory card. What I have paid for individually is better parts than the ones even included with that lot. Shows how much these systems are going for. As to Axel's point, basically once this gets repaired I'll have one that is in better shape and will hold its value better than many of the clearly beat-up ones on eBay. I also like the challenge of repairing some of these electronics, I bought a Nintendo DS original model for $20 and installed a top screen replacement for $10, just something fun to do, and some new skills to pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  11. #11
    Master of Shinobi Gentlegamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,291
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations all! Looks like a lot of these are on the PSP store. I picked up a used PSP 3000 with a 1GB Memory Card on ebay for $53. However, seller didn't describe it properly, described it as "Working w/ Stick Drift" which is not what was actually the case. This PSP was missing screws and actually needs a new ribbon cable. Need to now do all of these things, with parts on the way:

    • buy an OEM charger - $11.50
    • Replace the battery pack - $8.47
    • Pick up a microSD card and SD to Memory Card Pro Duo converter - $13.19
    • Replace the D-pad Ribbon - $13.19
    • Buy Playstation Card money to test shop functionality - $20 (Not being able to just add the exact amount of funds is pretty lame).
    • Buy a UMD game to test drive - $32 (Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast)
    • Pick up a Mini-USB cable to transfer files - $8.47
    • Buy a set of PSP 3000 Screws since this PSP is missing screws - $7.05


    So in what I thought was me getting a deal was actually not too good of a deal because the system wasn't in as working shape as I thought it was. But looking forward to playing some good PS1 and PSP games at an affordable price. I already picked up Power Stone Collection for $10, and looking forward to having Outrun 2006 and Star Wars Renegade Squadron for UMD on the way.
    Install custom firmware and play all the PSP games for free.

  12. #12
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,537
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Iím certainly not trying to be argumentive, Baloo. I just hate to see you throwing good money at what might be a lost cause.

    If youíre in it just for the challenge, then might I suggest getting the power supply 1st, just to see if itíll power up and run a UMD.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-27-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  13. #13
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Piracy is not my bag, to be honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Iím certainly not trying to be argumentive, Baloo. I just hate to see you throwing good money at what might be a lost cause.

    If youíre in it just for the challenge, then might I suggest getting the power supply 1st, just to see if itíll power up and run a UMD.
    Heh, sorry I should correct myself. I didn't buy all of those things prior to getting the PSP, I got the PSP in and tested it and saw what was wrong, THEN ordered the products. Only thing I bought beforehand was the charger. Buttons work fine, no scratches on the screen, charges fine, wireless works fine, system is fairly clean, analog stick works. Only problems that I have run into so far are that it needs new screws and a ribbon cable replacement for the D-pad. Once the UMD comes in to test and I make sure that works, everything else should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  14. #14
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,537
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Piracy is not my bag, to be honest.



    Heh, sorry I should correct myself. I didn't buy all of those things prior to getting the PSP, I got the PSP in and tested it and saw what was wrong, THEN ordered the products. Only thing I bought beforehand was the charger. Buttons work fine, no scratches on the screen, charges fine, wireless works fine, system is fairly clean, analog stick works. Only problems that I have run into so far are that it needs new screws and a ribbon cable replacement for the D-pad. Once the UMD comes in to test and I make sure that works, everything else should be good to go.
    I can give you a free copy of God of War: Chains of Olympus. I bought a complete version, after purchasing this one with the janky Gamestop cover. It has the manual and the disc is clean. I can also make a photo copy of my good cover, to put in the case.


    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  15. #15
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I can give you a free copy of God of War: Chains of Olympus. I bought a complete version, after purchasing this one with the janky Gamestop cover. It has the manual and the disc is clean. I can also make a photo copy of my good cover, to put in the case.


    Thanks for the offer gamevet! I'm not a huge fan of the God of War series myself though. I just got Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast UMD in and it works great! Glad to have that game, its one of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •