Quantcast

Thread: Easter Eggs / Secret Codes in Treasure's McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (?)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Genesis Easter Eggs / Secret Codes in Treasure's McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (?)

Treasure founder Masato Maegawa has made reference to two possible easter eggs in McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure that I've been unable to find.

Anybody know how to search for these?

The first: Maegawa said in the most recent issue of Retro Gamer "if you enter a secret password the password entry screen itself turns into a polygonal display."

The second: Maegawa said in a 2017 talk, "I got annoyed so I made it if you push something like B-A-C-A-Start on the Sega logo screen, it explodes." This was in reference to his frustration at McDonald's last-minute demands. I've been unable to get this to work on any version of the game, and it's not clear if the code itself is correct (he says it's something like that, meaning it could be different; he was speaking from memory). There's also the possibility it didn't actually make it into the final version of the game, or it was just a thought he had.

It's also not clear which version(s) of the game these might apply to. Of course, there's a possibility neither one made it into the final game (the second one especially seems questionable).

Any help is appreciated!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Digging through the Japanese Beta that got dumped a few years would be th best bet at finding out if there is any truth to that.

It's pretty much near final, except the item icons use actual McDonalds products like fries and burgers instead of the gems/flowers from the international and final Japanese releases (I take it that was the last min change that annoyed Maegawa?).

Sudden_Desu dug into the ROMs and checked out both of these, but he couldn't find any traces of either. He documented it in the replies to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/MegaDriveShock/s...00844436279296

So if these were in the game at any point, they didn't make the final cut.

And yes, the beta with the hamburgers is how Treasure originally intended the game to be, but McDonald's didn't want the hamburgers or the restaurant to stay in the game. They demanded they be removed, even though the game was basically finished, which of course annoyed Maegawa.

The password secret has been discovered!

Credit goes to Twitter user Unlisted Cheats (website here).

Here are the steps to unlocking it: https://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/smd_cheats.php#510

And Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/new_cheats_news/...31430173138953

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Nice, glad to see at least one of those cheats was confirmed and found. That Easter Egg is pretty trippy, I must say.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

It's really cool to find secrets/Easter eggs for these old titles. Even better when it's a game like Treasure Land. This game is criminally underappreciated.

I've posted an update on the KickStarter page for Legends of 16-Bit Game Development about this Easter egg, including some translated content from Kazuhiko Ishida, who created the 3D engine:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3176802

Very Cool.

Thread Information