Quantcast

Thread: Sega Sports Pad..... The games are bad

Wildside Expert

Default Sega Sports Pad..... The games are bad

Over the last few months I have been picking up Master System/Mark III peripherals (sports pad, paddle controller, light gun, 3D glasses and FM mini) so I can have access to the full library. I have now got them all and finally wanted to get into the games.

First up the Sports Pad / Trackball after a bit of the clean and WD40 the pad works great, but wow are the 3 games absolutely terrible !

I didnít have much hope for Sports Pad Football or Great Ice Hockey as I donít enjoy American sports games at all, mainly due to unfamiliarity and understanding of the subject matter. But I thought I would get some enjoyment out of Sports Pad Soccer, but itís beyond terrible. The CPU shoots it will score because my goalie never seems to be anywhere near it, conversely I canít seem to score as the CPU goalie always positions himself well. Any attempt at possession football is a waste of time. I canít see how the Trackball is helping at all as the movement is slow and I constantly seemed to get outpaced. Just appalling !

My only consolation is that the trackball seems to play nicely with Marble Madness even though itís not a sports pad game.

Wildside Expert

Yeah Iím bumping my own thread, but I am hoping this peripheral has more potential.

Ok the 3 compatible sports games are generally poor, but Marble Madness is fun with the sports pad - anyone have any suggestions of other Master System (or Mega Drive ?) games that would be fun using this controller ?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    anyone have any suggestions of other Master System (or Mega Drive ?) games that would be fun using this controller ?
    I enjoyed playing Sonic the Hedgehog on Master System with the sports pad. I never thought to try it with the Mega Drive versions - it would probably work there too. You have to sort of tap-tap-tap the trakball in the dirrection you want to go, since it's basically a left or right directional game it isn't hard to get the hang of. Most people would probably think it's a goofy way to play but I thought it was a fun challenge.

Wildside Expert

Playing something like Sonic never crossed my mind, might give it a whirl !
    Tried Lemmings, it seemed to ok more like using a mouse, but not sure if it will provide the speed and dexterity for later levels.

Thread Information