Quantcast

Thread: I just got the Sega Saturn "Black Screen of Doom"

Default I just got the Sega Saturn "Black Screen of Doom"

I recently bought a very clean ...not dog urine yellow... white Japanese Model 2. It worked fine until I replaced the dead CMOS battery. Now it can barely get to the boot up screen. It plays my games when it wants to. If it does boot up a game, chances of the game freezing mid-way is inevitable. Any experts here can tell me what is wrong with my Saturn before I send it out for repairs? Fried motherboard? Bad capacitors? Wrong voltage?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Not a lot to go by. What does it do with the battery removed?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Not a lot to go by. What does it do with the battery removed?
    Same shit. Black screen. Open disc lid and I see the Sega Saturn logo just stay there for all eternity. Doesnt even go to the CD menu.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I’d try reseating the power and video cords. If that doesn’t clear it up, you most likely have something like a loose solder joint or a failing capacitor.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information