Quantcast

Thread: mame games on Genesis?

Default mame games on Genesis?

Do you think it would be possible to play mame games on Genesis like it is possible to play Sega CD games with modified-upgraded cartridges? So maybe some modified cartridges that can play mame games on Genesis could be made?

Now I realize it wouldn't because it is a different system. Too bad I can't delete this.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I'd say one of the big problems is the limited colour palette the same as Genesis has, so when you look at the arcade conversions they're all reworked. I mean in a way it did you could run pong Pac-Man Space Invaders, and Mega-Tech System was a dedicated arcade system, the cartridges so similar to the SEGA Mega Drive can be reworked and modified to work on a standard SEGA Mega Drive. So you can play arcade games on the SEGA Mega Drive just a very limited compatible few

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to play mame games on Genesis like it is possible to play Sega CD games with modified-upgraded cartridges? So maybe some modified cartridges that can play mame games on Genesis could be made?

Now I realize it wouldn't because it is a different system. Too bad I can't delete this.
    Well the Mega Everdrive Pro can play some NES games so I guess it’s possible using FPGA. The real question you’d have to ask yourself is why? A Raspberry Pi can play MAME ROMs better than any Megadrive could, and it costs $35.

Master of Shinobi

MAME on an FPGA is not very interesting. Maybe you could emulate some very old arcade games though. There's a Gameboy emulator for 32X that can run Tetris at acceptable speeds but it took a ton of optimization to get to that point: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/shuboy.htm

So maybe if you set the target even lower, like a late 1970s arcade game, that could be doable on the 32X.

Thread Information