Quantcast

Thread: I tried to track down and dump X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Genesis.

Default I tried to track down and dump X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Genesis.

Okay folks, this is a long one and a bit different than my usual fare, but I'm copy and pasting it here because I believe you all might be interested in this

So the other day I asked for help o Twitter on how to dump a Mega Drive game and many people helped me. I asked because, I recently contacted Russian Videogame Comrade , a Russian Retro Gaming Youtuber with one purpose in mind: Tracking down and dumping X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Genesis.

For those those who don't know, there currently exists a Super Nintendo bootleg of X-men vs. Street Fighter which I've already reviewed on my channel and it's also believed that there also exists a Sega Genesis version out there that is currently undumped. It's believed that a Sega version exists because of [a couple of youtube videos from a russian channel](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9TQY2amVFw) that show raw gameplay footage of the sega version running on real hardware.

So I contacted Russian Video Comrade, as a native Russian, he could provide insight and maybe even track down a copy with help from other people from the Russian retro gaming scene. I want to make it clear that in all of this, he did all the legwork, I merely came up with the idea.

Turns out that when these videos were dumped, they made waves in the Russian retro gaming scene and people have been trying to track down a copy for a while. The person who made the videos has a youtube page and when fellow russians tried to contact him to share the PCB, take photos of the cart and dump the rom. He only linked to the videos that are already on Youtube and sent a few blurry pictures of the PCB that were unusable before eventually ceasing all contact.

Because of this, the current belief in the Russian retro gaming scene is that this is an elaborate hoax. We can't say with 100% certainty, but all of this leads us to believe that X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Genesis does NOT exist.

I also want to make it clear that this was a well made hoax. For one thing, the videos use sound effects and music from other bootlegs. Recycling music and sound effects is something bootleg developers do very often. Additonally, to me at least, the sega version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter seemed to be using the same engine as Top Fighter 2000, a bootleg game I already reviewed.

So, while it is sad that it seems that the game does not exist, we do have at least some closure.

Once again, I want to thank Russian Videogame Comrade for his hard work and please, go subscribe to this YT channel

[https://www.youtube.com/c/RussianVid...V6fDoAZmIUb3I)
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Stika you should really learn to keep the faith Good God I sound like Fonzie! so just purely to cut~down on typing because yes I'm lazy I'm just going to fill in for now some information that you didn't know ~ unfortunately a lot of people here require Proof photos that I'm not gonna provide that "I'm not here to carry Lazy People! only to point out the route"

"For those those who don't know, there currently exists a Super Nintendo bootleg of X-men vs. Street Fighter which I've already reviewed on my channel and it's also believed that there also exists a Sega Genesis version out there that is currently undumped. It's believed that a Sega version exists because of [a couple of youtube videos from a russian channel](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9TQY2amVFw) that show raw gameplay footage of the sega version running on real hardware"

sadly yes it's currently UNdumped due to its copy protection Thats Right on the 3 Chips not French Fries but the third chip acts like a lookout spreading a small ROM Size onto two chips in the same way that Super Street Fighter II Does, But is quite unnecessary for this title because it's such a small Game Rom 8m compared to the 40 of Super Street Fighter II! this is done for a very good reason as it was stop the majority of 1990's copiers from being out to read the ROM making duplicates! remember this game saw a small release in Taiwan in 2000 and the game copiers around at this time were not very complicated. FYI Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis could learn from putting a bit of copy protection in their games so the wish wasn't flooded instantly with cheap knock-offs!

"Turns out that when these videos were dumped, they made waves in the Russian retro gaming scene and people have been trying to track down a copy for a while... not going to Happen ***** not a Russian MADE Bootleg game ***** The person who made the videos has a youtube page and when fellow russians not Vietnamese Russians lol tried to contact him to share the PCB, take photos of the cart and dump the rom. He only linked to the videos that are already on Youtube ***** EBAY SALES PAGE VIDEO'S ***** and sent a few blurry pictures of the PCB that were unusable before eventually ceasing all contact" ****** going by my memory the Big Point made in the auction at the time was that it was undumped therefore was worth a high Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would bet whoever PURE speculation bought one of the two games had no clue on how to dump the ROM or to put it more elegantly said f*** you to the Gaming Community! I wonder if he's on Sega 16?? He should be

"Because of this, the current belief in the Russian retro gaming scene is that this is an elaborate hoax. We can't say with 100% certainty, but all of this leads us to believe that X-men vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Genesis does NOT exist"

trying to find this game again in Russia would be like trying to find a PIN in a haystack! it's not a native Russian bootleg! it would be like Fonzie trying to a Stick to a release deadline it just doesn't happen!

sadly many Russians believe if it's not Bootlegged than it doesn't exist! to be honest it's not the first time I've heard "why would such a cheap xmen game have such complicated copy protection? when games like Pier solar recently been cracked? was Pier solar really a 64m game? or just intentionally uncompressed Data.

"I also want to make it clear that this was a well made hoax. For one thing, the videos use sound effects and music from other bootlegs. Recycling music and sound effects is something bootleg developers do very often. Additonally, to me at least, the sega version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter seemed to be using the same engine as Top Fighter 2000, a bootleg game I already reviewed So, while it is sad that it seems that the game does not exist, we do have at least some closure."

NO you're not getting off that easy Stika Nope its Real, Right starting at the Beginning its history there's a couple parts missing from your post the first owner a Russian~Vietnamese actually had two copies of this Game one appeared exclusively on ebay.com in 20 Sept 2016 the shipping was not set to Worldwide only the US the asking price was $300 the shity quality Youtube videos were a link from that auction and a reminder of its date. I was instantly tempted to buy this but at the time feared with the recent discovery of wish the game would surely the bootlegged and sold in masses for Just $5 at some point Later. How wrong did I turn out to be. anyway one on auction sold (in hindsight anyone could have bought this game with the relief that Paypal would refund them had it been a hoax wish id done the same)

I messaged the seller and he explained he had a second copy he'd be happy to sell to me for just 100 Bucks! But did tell me it was faulty the issue being it would happily Run the demo fight but when you try to exit the character select screen the game with crash to a blank screen! (that was actually the point of the youtube video) I suspect this fault and did back at the time to be the fact that he was running it on a Cloned Console you crazy Russians! it was at this point he provided me with various pictures of that game ROM board which through posting them on the Assembler all those years ago now found a way to a Russian bootleg website! Mine! anyway I said I wanted it and I thought the deal was done it was at this point he told me he was I was entering a bidding war between another person who had been messaging through eBay at the same time now he wanted 200 Bucks this plus the customs import duty to the UK I said leave it I wasn't too impressed with a kind of seller he was.

a year passed and still being very interested in this Game started searching!
    moving onto 2019 and this game popped up again on another auction site Boxed mint one for the collection!!! only problem it was an auction site in Argentina! (Note let me know if anyone's ever actually managed to buy anything thing from that site I'd be interested to know)

So 1st problem Argentina and the UK not best buddies the 2nd problem here is the auction site worked cash-in-hand collection in person! will I message to the seller anyway to ask him about the game and if there's any way he consider shipping it to me my surprise he did, he explained that he would accept a bank transfer or payment and this is where the story ends for now!
    Last edited by Nano Babe; 05-22-2021 at 04:54 AM.

for now just casually going to dump this here

although I do find it amazing that Where were the Big Sega Collectors in Taiwan with the exception of the eBay listing no one's ever posted any detailed information on it??! was it really just a crap game that was overlooked?

there are two versions (Batches) released of the X-Men vs Street Fighter for the sega Megadrive limited release in Taiwan which FYI where you most likely find a copy for sale!

which is where Street Fighter team might have been able to pick up if it wasn't for that pesky Capcom licence piracy thing lol

the differences between the original Batch and the reprint is Asian text replacing English

and the final fun fact it was definitely made by the same people responsible for top fighter 2000! for the same reason see above ^ and the original 1st release packaging advertised it
    Last edited by Nano Babe; 05-22-2021 at 04:36 AM.

Hey there,

Thank you for the information! To be fair, I was mostly going off on what the Russian Retro Community was saying because we have nothing else to go on.

I HOPE that I'm wrong and that game is indeed real, I mean, I actually enjoyed Top Fighter 2000 and would love to play the X-men vs. Street Fighter.

I also contacted the same seller on ebay who made an ebay listing in 2018 of this game and I'm hoping he replies to me (he's from Russia).

Still, for now, all I can do is wait

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Hey there,

Thank you for the information! To be fair, I was mostly going off on what the Russian Retro Community was saying because we have nothing else to go on.

I HOPE that I'm wrong and that game is indeed real, I mean, I actually enjoyed Top Fighter 2000 and would love to play the X-men vs. Street Fighter.

I also contacted the same seller on ebay who made an ebay listing in 2018 of this game and I'm hoping he replies to me (he's from Russia).

Still, for now, all I can do is wait
    Damn again? listing in 2018 ? $300 US auction Russian Seller ? has to be the same guy But if so ebay sale was 2016? Did he do another auction.
    Last edited by Nano Babe; 05-22-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nano Babe View Post
    Damn again? listing in 2018 ? $300 US auction Russian Seller ? has to be the same guy But if so ebay sale was 2016? Did he do another auction.
    That's a good question. I sent a private message to the seller, but he hasn't replied yet.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Interesting, I'll spread the word, you never know

A hoax is a bit of a stretch, though, that video is pretty real so the game should exist (or at least it existed)

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_
    Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

I agree it seems like a genesis version could exist. The video of the supposed genesis version looks and sounds different to the SNES one, the music seems completely different, the characters seem to move in a smoother manner than the snes game, so I don't think it is just someone running the snes rom on the tv and pretending to play it on the genesis.

For either version, I wonder how the pirates got the character sprites? If this game was released around 1998, like is being said for the SNES version, then PS1, Saturn and MAME emulation of the games didn't exist yet. Even for the street fighter characters, snes emulation was in its infancy and I kinda doubt the emulators of this time could run the SNES's version of Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Outrunner

I have no doubt this is real. All of the unlicensed MD fighters (except VF vs Tekken) use the same assets and game engine. If this is a hoax, it's the most elaborate one ever to have so many obscure details exactly as they should be.

It's important to keep in mind how obscure unlicensed games are. When I dumped Soul Blade vs Samurai Shodown for SNES & MD a few years ago, there was zero mention of the SNES version even existing. No screenshots, no vague memories, nobody even recognized it existed. Same when SNES KoF '98 was discovered and quite a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by dark View Post
    For either version, I wonder how the pirates got the character sprites? If this game was released around 1998, like is being said for the SNES version, then PS1, Saturn and MAME emulation of the games didn't exist yet.
    Assets were ripped from various console and arcade emulators, they did exist at the time.

Azathoth I think I remember buying samurai spirits 2 off you thu the assembler? I've never seen this awful game BUT rare on a cartridge again

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by dark View Post
    I agree it seems like a genesis version could exist. The video of the supposed genesis version looks and sounds different to the SNES one, the music seems completely different, the characters seem to move in a smoother manner than the snes game, so I don't think it is just someone running the snes rom on the tv and pretending to play it on the genesis.

For either version, I wonder how the pirates got the character sprites? If this game was released around 1998, like is being said for the SNES version, then PS1, Saturn and MAME emulation of the games didn't exist yet. Even for the street fighter characters, snes emulation was in its infancy and I kinda doubt the emulators of this time could run the SNES's version of Street Fighter Alpha 2.
    You could emulate PS1 games through PSEmu at the time and even if this title was not emulated yet, it was relatively straightforward to copy the disc image if you had a CD burner (regular CD-ROM drives usually had trouble reading the discs). I don't think those are CPS2 sprites but even that would have been possible because the graphics ROMs were always unencrypted, in fact the early CPS2 emulators only needed an XOR table for the program ROMs to get the games working.

Thread Information