Quantcast

Thread: SteamPal - Valve's new PC based Switch Clone

Outrunner

Default SteamPal - Valve's new PC based Switch Clone

Valve Reportedly Making a Switch Style Mini-PC Codenamed "SteamPal"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/va...ni-pc-steampal

Quote: "Valve is allegedly jumping back into hardware, working on a handheld PC similar to the Nintendo Switch, according to a new report from Ars Technica.
    The publication spoke to "multiple sources familiar with the matter," who have confirmed that "the device has been in development for some time." This news follows the discovery of new hardware-related code that the latest version of Steam earlier today and pointed to a device codenamed “SteamPal.”
    According to Pavel Djundik, the SteamDB operator who found the code, SteamPal is a derivative of the much less juicy term “Neptune,” which started showing up in Steam code in September and was assumed to be a type of controller.

But according to Ars Technica’s sources, the “SteamPal” is instead a Switch style all-in-one device with both a touchscreen and a built-in gamepad. Unfortunately, those controllers aren't reported to detach like on the Switch."

Might be interesting to people with large Steam collections, probably going to be too expensive to worry Nintendo...lol

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Morphus was Switch in 2013. Alienware showed a Switch clone a year to two ago. This thing won't move any needles much like Steam Machines. Nvidia Sheild was a thing for a while now. Valve dumps and abandons hardware rather fast so meh.

Switch Pro will be announced in about 2 weeks. So that will bury this news.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

Does Steam even run on anything other than x86? If not that is going to be one power hungry portable, I will be very surprised if they can match the form factor and battery life of a Switch. Assuming it even gets released of course, Valve announced something just like this about five years ago and nothing ever materialized.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I’m pretty sure it can run on ARM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Morphus was Switch in 2013. Alienware showed a Switch clone a year to two ago. This thing won't move any needles much like Steam Machines. Nvidia Sheild was a thing for a while now. Valve dumps and abandons hardware rather fast so meh.

Switch Pro will be announced in about 2 weeks. So that will bury this news.
    The way the market is now I doubt any of us will get a Pro system for a long long long long long time.
    05/05/15

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The way the market is now I doubt any of us will get a Pro system for a long long long long long time.
    From what I have read they planned in advance for this and are using a process without competition to manufacture unlike PS5/XSX and high end Graphics cards. I have my doubts but it may not be as difficult.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’m pretty sure it can run on ARM.
    If it can I've never seen it.

Thread Information