Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticed a couple of issues in PS1 DOOM that nobody talks about.

Default Noticed a couple of issues in PS1 DOOM that nobody talks about.

So everyone says this is the best console port of DOOM. And how good it looks with its colored sections or how fast it runs.

But nobody seems to talk about how stretched it is. Here are some examples using a 4:3 aspect ratio:

Look how wide this door is. Below is the same door on the PC and Jaguar version (i'm using Jaguar because most console ports are based on it)

Here is the first level in DOOM 2. Look how wide the entrance is on the PS1.

And this is the PC version.

This also makes every level and corridor much wider than normal.

Another issue i noticed is the low frame rate of the doors and elevators. Or any other thing that moves vertically. It's very noticeable because the game runs smoothly at around 30fps and these elements move at 10fps max. Maybe lower.

Anyone else noticed these issues? It's still the best console version because it runs so fast but it looks weird to me with it's stretched, ultra wide levels and colored sections.

Edit: Re-uploaded the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Soulis; 06-02-2021 at 01:18 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I wonder what screen resolution itís running at. Perhaps the top and bottom are cropped. Itís been a long time since Iíve played or owned the game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

You would be much better off uploading the pictures to a site like postimage or imgbb, and then copying the direct link and posting it in the picture frame icon (with the tree), or just using the html image code: [img] post image link here [/img]. The site uploader does not work well at all, the pics are way too compressed and some browsers do not even recognize them.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    You would be much better off uploading the pictures to a site like postimage or imgbb, and then copying the direct link and posting it in the picture frame icon (with the tree), or just using the html image code: [img] post image link here [/img]. The site uploader does not work well at all, the pics are way too compressed and some browsers do not even recognize them.
    Thanks, i reuploaded them. Much better now.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Well, it's a console port. It's not going to be a perfect conversion, particularly in the 90s. But I'd say it's far superior to its contemporary ports on the Saturn and 3do. It's fast and fun. There are a few little issues here and there, but it still holds up to this day. I suppose over a decade later they ported it to the 360 and PS3, so those are probably much closer to the original PC game as they're on superior hardware. But damn, for a decade the PS1 version was as good as it got on a console. It really does the game justice. Not sure why you want to nitpick it over a few graphical aspect ratio changes and some FPS dips in very specific places. The overall game runs much faster and smoother than any other console port did at the time. Very nitpicky, Soulis. But I will say, if this is all you can come up with to criticize the PS1 port, that speaks to how good it really is.

Edit: Not that this has anything to do with your OP necessarily, but another thing that I really like about the PS1 port is the soundtrack. While Doom PC has one of the most iconic soundtracks of all time, and the metal really gets you pumped to go around blasting aliens, the PS1 soundtrack is practically the opposite. It's a brooding, ambient score that really creates a mood and atmosphere. It almost feels like a different game. Perhaps that's why I still come back to the PS1 version from time to time even though I can play Doom on a million other systems nowadays.
    Last edited by profholt82; 06-02-2021 at 04:04 PM.

PSX Doom runs in a 256px wide resolution. I believe PC, Jaguar, Saturn, and 3DO are in a 320px wide mode. Not sure about 32X.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Doomguy is fatter.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Well, it's a console port. It's not going to be a perfect conversion, particularly in the 90s. But I'd say it's far superior to its contemporary ports on the Saturn and 3do. It's fast and fun. There are a few little issues here and there, but it still holds up to this day. I suppose over a decade later they ported it to the 360 and PS3, so those are probably much closer to the original PC game as they're on superior hardware. But damn, for a decade the PS1 version was as good as it got on a console. It really does the game justice. Not sure why you want to nitpick it over a few graphical aspect ratio changes and some FPS dips in very specific places. The overall game runs much faster and smoother than any other console port did at the time. Very nitpicky, Soulis. But I will say, if this is all you can come up with to criticize the PS1 port, that speaks to how good it really is.

Edit: Not that this has anything to do with your OP necessarily, but another thing that I really like about the PS1 port is the soundtrack. While Doom PC has one of the most iconic soundtracks of all time, and the metal really gets you pumped to go around blasting aliens, the PS1 soundtrack is practically the opposite. It's a brooding, ambient score that really creates a mood and atmosphere. It almost feels like a different game. Perhaps that's why I still come back to the PS1 version from time to time even though I can play Doom on a million other systems nowadays.
    Played it on a pro-logic surround setup. I nearly shat myself when I heard a grunt behind me. The game sounds great.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    PSX Doom runs in a 256px wide resolution. I believe PC, Jaguar, Saturn, and 3DO are in a 320px wide mode. Not sure about 32X.
    32X outputs 320px but with the border the window is only 256px. Then since it's running in low detail mode the horizontal pixels are doubled, so it's really only 128x144.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    32X outputs 320px but with the border the window is only 256px. Then since it's running in low detail mode the horizontal pixels are doubled, so it's really only 128x144.
    Sure but it's still running in a 320px wide mode like the PC Version. So the viewable area that's displayed should still match the PC version running in a similar sized window. PSX is the only one I know of running in a 256px wide mode then. So even if it's full screen the full 320px image that's being rendered can't be displayed so it gets cut off. It seems that's what the devs went for instead of squishing everything horizontally to match the PC versions viewable area.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Played it on a pro-logic surround setup. I nearly shat myself when I heard a grunt behind me. The game sounds great.
    The audio for Doom on the original PlayStation is great.

@Lenyos: You're just jealous his penis is bigger then yours!
    05/05/15

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The audio for Doom on the original PlayStation is great.

@Lenyos: You're just jealous his penis is bigger then yours!
    Doomguys dick is bigger than everyones.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

He has a BFD!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Sure but it's still running in a 320px wide mode like the PC Version. So the viewable area that's displayed should still match the PC version running in a similar sized window. PSX is the only one I know of running in a 256px wide mode then. So even if it's full screen the full 320px image that's being rendered can't be displayed so it gets cut off. It seems that's what the devs went for instead of squishing everything horizontally to match the PC versions viewable area.
    Correct, 32X Doom is quite similar to a PC with an ISA VGA card.

The stretched aspect of the levels has never bothered me. I actually like it that way in the port. Makes the combat a bit easier.

Thread Information