Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Yuji Naka?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I was interested to read in Retro Gamer a couple of years back with both Job Burton and Kat's Sato confirmed and backed up what SEGA Europe Andy Mee said (way back in the day to mean Machines SEGA) Sonic X was cancelled because the game wasn't very good and didn't reach a decent standard. That shouldn't excuse Naka-san mind, the engine/debug belongs to SEGA and not to Naka-san and it's up to SEGA, how any of its engine made in House in SEGA, was to be used between the teams

Not that it would make any difference mind, the game was in a mess from start to finish. The same game designed to run on 3 different systems (4 if you included the Mega Drive) using 2 different engines and the team split for the same game? and with nearly 2 years of work didn't even have what anyone could call a completed level with full enemy placements. To think that using the NiGHTS engine and debug unit was going to fix all those issues in less than 6 months is fantasy, never mind I've never seen a so called 'elite' team needed to go running to another developer to use their engine and set up because their own tech doesn't cut it back at those times.
    Well you're right, maybe that should have been up to management and not Naka. Sonic was probably one of the hardest characters to put into 3D, because it's not a Sonic game without speed and the early engines and hardware just couldn't keep up. It was easier to build a game around an overweight plumber or anthropomorphic bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I got the impression that his ego far outweighs his ability. Sonic games are well known for being buggy, and always had collision bugs even back in the Genesis days. Sonic 3 had it so bad the manual explicitly called it out that if you get stuck in the wall, it's a diabolical trap by Robotnik that you can only escape by reseting the console.
    LOL! At least they had the best excuse for a bug
    I can't remember that happening to me in S3, I've gotten stuck in Knuckles Chaotix though where the rubber band physics will sometimes send you through a solid object.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    The latest reports have it that Yuji Naka is no longer with Square Enix. It's unclear if he was fired or resigned but it's safe to say it ties in with Balan Wonderworld failing. So once again he is off to whatever is next.

Yuji Naka has a spotty record and since leaving SEGA it seems he can't quite get his footing back. To be fair the same can be said about many once big names of the 90s/2000s. Even Yu Suzuki. Has Naka lost it? Did he ever truly have it?

Thoughts?

Meh sounds like he's considering retirement from his latest twitter posts.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lop-may-retire

Quote: "On his departure from Square Enix, Naka said: "I can't talk about the reason now, but I hope I can talk about it when the time comes. As for future activities, I'm 55 years old, so I may retire."

I consider most of his later stuff overrated anyway. He was a great programmer, but as others have said he wasn't solely responsible for how great Sonic 1,2,3 and Knuckles were.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    eh, point taken - carol yas/hirokazu yasuhara likely deserve more credit, and it's fair to say no one person creates a game - but i do think it's fair to point out that we'd not have those masterpieces the way we got them without his vision. also? looking forward to the collection coming up, because 3/S&K are the series' peak and i never get why they're not often recognized as such.
    FTFY, "Carol Yas" is Hirokazu Yasuhara, just as Yuji Naka is "YU2" and Naoto Ohshima is "BigIsland" and Rieko Kodama is "Phenix Rie". they were credited on the games using other names, I believe it was a tactic Sega used to prevent staff from being poached by other rival companies

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post

The same game designed to run on 3 different systems (4 if you included the Mega Drive) using 2 different engines and the team split for the same game? and with nearly 2 years of work didn't even have what anyone could call a completed level with full enemy placements.
    Actually it was 5 systems if you include the Megadrive/Genesis

32X/Mars
    Saturn
    Megadrive/Genesis
    Nvidia NV2/ Saturn V08
    PC

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Naka hasnt had a truly great game since Sonic 3 and Knuckles in my opinion. What did people expect? His Petty infighting with Sega over the NiGHTS engine is one of many moves that potentially derailed the entire company. Nights and Burning Rangers, though I played the heck out of both games, are not all that great, though they are creative. I hate the Sonic Adventure series.

Yu Suzuki I think is more of a visionary because he stuck with what made his games unique and fun, as much as I find Shenmue boring. Outrun translated extremely well to 3D. Sonic needed two fan creators to bring the series back to glory. I think STI and Roger Hector deserve as much credit as Yuji Naka for making Sonic a global brand.
    Yeah you can give Mark Cerny/STI a lot of credit certainly during Sonic 2 and Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I got the impression that his ego far outweighs his ability. Sonic games are well known for being buggy, and always had collision bugs even back in the Genesis days. Sonic 3 had it so bad the manual explicitly called it out that if you get stuck in the wall, it's a diabolical trap by Robotnik that you can only escape by reseting the console.
    LOL I totally agree
    Last edited by stu; 06-08-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Well you're right, maybe that should have been up to management and not Naka. Sonic was probably one of the hardest characters to put into 3D, because it's not a Sonic game without speed and the early engines and hardware just couldn't keep up. It was easier to build a game around an overweight plumber or anthropomorphic bobcat.
    I think some of the old staff at SEGA needed to remember they were just employees of the company. A game engine made In House at SEGA belongs to SEGA not the team who made it and its up for SEGA's top brass on how thet engine is to be used or shared; I feel the same about some of these overpaid and overrated football players at Clubs, it's not for them to say what their Club should do or how it is to be run. Must say mind, I found the STI own game engine to be better looking than the NiGHTS engine, but I take it was about the debug and level editor that was giving issues for STI

Yeah, the speed of Sonic and needing to be able to hold big levels or stream them in for Sonic to speed through, must have been giving the teams nightmares for both Project Sonic and Sonic X on the Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post

Actually it was 5 systems if you include the Megadrive/Genesis

32X/Mars
    Saturn
    Megadrive/Genesis
    Nvidia NV2/ Saturn V08
    PC
    A total shambles from start to finish, never mind having 2 different engines and the same team split into two while working on what was meant to be the same game for the same platform
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-10-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

In his last statement, Naka sounds like he is retiring.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    In his last statement, Naka sounds like he is retiring.
    Erm yeah. That is what I said and was in the link I posted 2 days ago.
    Last edited by stu; 06-10-2021 at 06:17 PM.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I tend to skip past text walls sorry.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information