Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS/TARGET EARTH (NCS MASAYA/DREAMWORKS, 1990)

♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥ Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar

Default ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS/TARGET EARTH (NCS MASAYA/DREAMWORKS, 1990)

any other fans of this seminal Anime-style Mecha action platformer/run-and-gun-hybrid out there?

for my part, i was introduced around 1991 when my mom picked me up a copy of the U.S. "TARGET EARTH" localization for cheap.
    the game managed to click with me instantly, and was one of my earliest introductions-by-proxy to the Mecha Anime genre, and, eventually, to the world of Anime in general.

i played this game so often throughout my teenhood, that i eventually became expert at it, and that skill remains second-nature to this very day.

back in the late-2000's, i finally got around to picking up a proper Japanese MD LEYNOS copy, -which became my standard-
    and around 2017 i also picked up a Japanese copy (fully playable on a U.S. PS4) of the DRACUE SOFTWARE SONY PS4 LEYNOS Remake,
    which, -in my opinion- is EXTREMELY TIGHT, to the degree that an old hat to the original game, such as myself, can jump right in with it, and instantly feel right at home...

Last edited by Tasuke; 06-08-2021 at 09:50 AM.
    Konomi Yuzuhara

Surprised you decided to come back after almost 2 years. Well I guess I'm glad you're here just keep in mind I'm still here checking things out Tasuke.
    05/05/15

Never played anything in this game series, but might pick up Target Earth. Is there any difference between it and the Japanese version? Also, cool mech figure by the way.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I had Target Earth. Played and beat it a bunch of times. I shouldn't have traded it in.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Surprised you decided to come back after almost 2 years. Well I guess I'm glad you're here just keep in mind I'm still here checking things out Tasuke.
    What's the backstory on Tasuke?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Never played anything in this game series, but might pick up Target Earth. Is there any difference between it and the Japanese version? Also, cool mech figure by the way.
    it's got a large part of text instruction on missions and what to do at Pacific Time the Japanese version is not dual Eng/Jap text which means unless you understand Japanese you won't get too far target Earth would be the way to go. i can't help but wonder how many is the battery save's still function in these games

ASL/TE do not have save systems, battery-backed or otherwise.

there is a simple cheat at the OPTIONS menu to increase CONTINUEs to 9, -as well as an invincibility cheat-
    there are, however, no memory save systems whatsoever in either LEYNOS/TE or it's NINTENDO SNES Prequel VALKEN/CYBERNATOR.

also, i suppose i've finished the game so many times in my life that it all comes second nature to me,
    so i kind of long forgot what it might be like for those who don't have the mission objectives
    (which seem rather straightforward to me in any case) drilled into their psyche.

in that case, i suppose that an inability to read the JP dialogue would indeed pose a significant hurdle there...

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Snowman View Post
    What's the backstory on Tasuke?
    some disagreements in regards to some of my more aggressively OTAKU-centric proclivities. i've mellowed out some, since...
    Last edited by Tasuke; 06-09-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Konomi Yuzuhara

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Metal64's Avatar

these robots kind remind me of gundam

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
    also, i suppose i've finished the game so many times in my life that it all comes second nature to me,
    so i kind of long forgot what it might be like for those who don't have the mission objectives
    (which seem rather straightforward to me in any case) drilled into their psyche.

in that case, i suppose that an inability to read the JP dialogue would indeed pose a significant hurdle there...

some disagreements in regards to some of my more aggressively OTAKU-centric proclivities. i've mellowed out some, since...
    I was able to also beat TE, multiple times, after memorizing the game play tactics.

So, I was recently given an infraction for poking the bear 🐻...........I mean Baloo, a Mod. It was about a disagreement on merging Paprium threads and some opinionated thoughts, which was all quite trivial in the grand scheme of things.

I'm curious as to the specifics of why BonusKun is keeping a watchful eye on you? 👭👀
    Last edited by Iced Snowman; 06-10-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal64 View Post
    these robots kind remind me of gundam

one of them actually is GUNDAM-related; the RGM-89 JEGAN Earth Federation infantry M.S. (MOBILE SUIT)
    that debuted in 1988's "CHAR's COUNTERATTACK" and also features prominently in 2010's "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UNICORN"

Last edited by Tasuke; 06-10-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Konomi Yuzuhara

I just finished the re-make and it was fantastic. I said it years ago here when it was first announced: if any game needs a remake badly then its Assault Suit Leynos/Target Earth. It's got a great foundation and one of the best OST's on the console, but the graphics were plain even in 1990, the control left a lot to be desired and the difficulty was merciless.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Damn, those figures are beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Snowman View Post
    I was able to also beat TE, multiple times, after memorizing the game play tactics.

So, I was recently given an infraction for poking the bear 🐻...........I mean Baloo, a Mod. It was about a disagreement on merging Paprium threads and some opinionated thoughts, which was all quite trivial in the grand scheme of things.

I'm curious as to the specifics of why BonusKun is keeping a watchful eye on you? 👭👀
    Why so sensitive? You really seem to enjoy stirring the pot with your questions attempting to invoke drama in threads. You've been registered here as long as I've been, don't play dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hero of Algol

Welcome back, Tasuke.

In my book you've always been far less offensive than a lot of the feeble-minded 100% off topic trolls we have/used to have here (which are, ironically enough, the core group which pushed for your ban).

You should be fine as long as you keep it about figures related to games (especially the MD-related stuff, which I find super cool to see) and high-grade old school electronics.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The sound track to the MD game is way underrated IMO. I love it. The difficulty is a bit rough, but if you want to "tour" it, there is an invincibility mode/trick. It's totally one of my fav MD games.

Thread Information