Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How much was Sega CD's success limited by the fact that it was a $300 add on?

I highly doubt that most people in the USA used floppies on their C64 to a tape cassette. I never knew anyone with an Apple II or even saw it in the shops, but at a guess, I would imagine the Pal version would be using Floppies and you act like the Atari ST or Amiga never came out, I believe they sold much better in Europe than the USA, so Europe was hardly against floppies, that's again to overlook over 8 Bit microcomputers also had Floppy and Rom Add-Ons

And you can use data how it suites too. It took the Tape cassette in the late '80s to outsell vinyl did it not? and I would simply put to you that many were playing music on cassette in the '80s, no matter what data showed, but not doubt you'll say you the USA was all Vinyl and you had a vinyl player in your car too. I thought it was the mid-1990's when CD players outsold Cassette tape decks.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

It was a combination of factors, but the price was definitely one of them (yes, I was quite poor). At the end of the day, to me it just looked like a giant CD player that came with several games I already owned (now on CD format) and offered the potential of playing grainy Marky Mark and Kris Kross music videos on my Genesis (which I never asked for). The launch was not thought out well.

I didn't try to buy a Sega CD until 1997, when I purchased one from a pawn shop to play Final Fight. I think I may have paid $60 for the console at the most. By that time the party was over for both the Sega CD and the Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Lizard View Post
    It was a combination of factors, but the price was definitely one of them (yes, I was quite poor). At the end of the day, to me it just looked like a giant CD player that came with several games I already owned (now on CD format) and offered the potential of playing grainy Marky Mark and Kris Kross music videos on my Genesis (which I never asked for). The launch was not thought out well.
    I'll stick the boot into SOA all day long for the Saturn, but when it came to the Mega CD they did the best job. They created great hype and did the best job of selling the system and their launch line up was a hell of lot better than the what I got with the Japanese launch, it was Sol Feace and that was it for any good software at all. SOA were also the 1st to show off and use the Mega CD to its finest with Batman Returns a game that used every part of the Mega CD hardware to its full potential

BTW, love the Avatar
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-01-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I don't think there is a realistic price for that era. I'd rather they didn't release it at all. If it was $80 maybe been ok but no way to make profit off of that.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I don't think there is a realistic price for that era. I'd rather they didn't release it at all. If it was $80 maybe been ok but no way to make profit off of that.
    $80 USD for a data CD drive, let alone with a computer and CD player attached, in 1991 would be absolutely unreal.

The SCD was a good idea and execution, it just ended up being underutilized. Kind of a Saturn opposite, the software let down the hardware, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    $80 USD for a data CD drive, let alone with a computer and CD player attached, in 1991 would be absolutely unreal.

The SCD was a good idea and execution, it just ended up being underutilized. Kind of a Saturn opposite, the software let down the hardware, not the other way around.
    Was the his right price for the PC Eng CD?

It just shows that CD tech in the 90's was a huge barrier to price and given SEGA packed the Mega-CD with more RAM, the price was going to be an issue. That said from what I remember SOA was able to sell all stock on the SEGA CD launch in USA and did a really good job with hype at the start. It was just sad to see them fall for the FMV fad in such a big way, worse than that was SOJ who basically did nothing major on the system bar the odd BIG game. When SEGA Japan should have been early in with ports of scaling coin-ups and with improved versions of Strider, Ghouls N Ghosts, Moonwalker, Streets Of Rage 1/2 and with the planned PS IV game

The main issue of the Mega CD was there was just not enough good games coming out on a regular enough basis and SOJ need to take most of the blame for that. It's pretty sad and pathetic that a tiny gang in the Uk (Core) pushed and showed off the Mega-CD, way better than the might of SEGA Japan, utterly pathetic really
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Yeah, I saw them on sale for $350 in a Hills department store, and immediately knew that I would never have one.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Yeah, I saw them on sale for $350 in a Hills department store, and immediately knew that I would never have one.
    I remember I had to have a Saturday job, working in Currys to help save up for a import Mega CD. It was over 300 alone for the system. So had to work and also my Auntie and gran chipped in too. All that hard work for the worst system launch line up in history (Japanese) Still I could play Pantera and Sepultura in the bedroom 😆
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Was the his right price for the PC Eng CD?

It just shows that CD tech in the 90's was a huge barrier to price and given SEGA packed the Mega-CD with more RAM, the price was going to be an issue. That said from what I remember SOA was able to sell all stock on the SEGA CD launch in USA and did a really good job with hype at the start. It was just sad to see them fall for the FMV fad in such a big way, worse than that was SOJ who basically did nothing major on the system bar the odd BIG game. When SEGA Japan should have been early in with ports of scaling coin-ups and with improved versions of Strider, Ghouls N Ghosts, Moonwalker, Streets Of Rage 1/2 and with the planned PS IV game

The main issue of the Mega CD was there was just not enough good games coming out on a regular enough basis and SOJ need to take most of the blame for that. It's pretty sad and pathetic that a tiny gang in the Uk (Core) pushed and showed off the Mega-CD, way better than the might of SEGA Japan, utterly pathetic really
    The PC Engine CD-ROM and Turbo-CD are very different things in very different markets.

Your flyer doesn't reflect the cost of the Sega-CD because it would not exist until 3 years later. It shows that CD tech in the 80's was a huge barrier to price

Around the time of the SNES launch a TG-16 + Turbo-CD + free games was $250. The SNES launched at $200.

The all-in-one TurboDuo launched the same time as the Sega-CD and at the same price.

It came with 6 great games and $250 in coupons. There were 25 CD games available to buy at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The PC Engine CD-ROM and Turbo-CD are very different things in very different markets.

Your flyer doesn't reflect the cost of the Sega-CD because it would not exist until 3 years later. It shows that CD tech in the 80's was a huge barrier to price

Around the time of the SNES launch a TG-16 + Turbo-CD + free games was $250. The SNES launched at $200.

The all-in-one TurboDuo launched the same time as the Sega-CD and at the same price.

It came with 6 great games and $250 in coupons. There were 25 CD games available to buy at the time.
    How much was the SEGA CD in the USA at launch? I imported the Mega-CD from Japan and that cost most than the Saturn did in Japan and even by the time the Mega-CD came in the UK in 93, it was 270, which is almost like 500 in today's money, just for an Add-On. Not that was its main issue, since like in the USA, the Pal launch went well and die hard's will also find a way to get money for a launch system.

More of an issue for me for the wait for good games and well the number of games being released on the system each month, compared the MD or SNES, it wasn't good enough and then when you saw almost every Snes game using Mode 7 and hardly any Mega CD game using the ASIC chip, it was really disappointing and SOJ support on the system was crap really.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    How much was the SEGA CD in the USA at launch? I imported the Mega-CD from Japan
    How did you play European games then?

In 1992, the Sega CD was $299 USD, which was still very low considering the Sony/JVC data CD drive inside loaded with additional RAM (included to specifically one-up NEC), two of the most expensive technologies you could get in the early '90s, especially the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    How did you play European games then?

In 1992, the Sega CD was $299 USD, which was still very low considering the Sony/JVC data CD drive inside loaded with additional RAM (included to specifically one-up NEC), two of the most expensive technologies you could get in the early '90s, especially the RAM.
    I've said this before, but I imported a Japanese Mega CD and basically lost all faith or interesting the unit, the games were not good, hardly any use of the system peed me off and After Burner 3 killed me. That all changed when SOA started to hype up the SEGA CD and then in run up the launch of MEGA CD in Europe, Mean Machines gave away a free video showing off the Mega CD and it blew my mind seeing a early version of BatmanReturns running on the system and bought a Pal Mega CD on launch in Woolworths.

2 months after launch Datel brought out the CDX and I could use any combination of Mega Drive or Mega CD. I then fell totally in love with the system and went nuts and also bought a Wondermega and the Karaoke unit too.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-05-2022 at 08:24 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information