Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much was Sega CD's success limited by the fact that it was a $300 add on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Plenty of PC owners did just that and also had to buy a new sound card too. Soundblaster said once that they owned their business to the success of Wing Commander speech add-on. I don't get why you're so harsh on the Mega CD, while overlooking the PC CD-ROM and PC ENG CD Rom did was just add a CD Drive with no hardware upgrade like the ASIC chip or extra processor's.
    The CD release of Wing Commander 1 came out in 1994, with Wing Commander II, shortly before the launch of the PlayStation in Japan. Wing Commander III came out at the end of the year and included FMV cutscenes and FMV character conversations that you could do by clicking responses. Wing Commander was nearly a 4 year old game by then. PC gamers could afford to buy a CD ROM drive and sound card, because they'd already invested more than $1,000 just for the PC alone.

I'm not being harsh on the Sega CD. I'm pointing out that just putting out games with CD sound wasn't enough to make people want to by the device. Hate it, or not, FMV is what managed to sell the Sega CD in North America. Showing off what appeared to be basically cart games with CD sound wasn't going to make anyone want to drop $300 on the hardware. The CD32 also didn't show enough games that made it apparent why someone needed a CD ROM to play games. So yes, the advanced scaling abilities, along with FMV were the selling points of the Sega CD, while added music and voices were not.

Indy, plus Sam & Max, did little more on the PC CD Rom that add a bit more animation and tons of speech and better quality music, no different from most Mega-CD games over their MD counterparts. The speech alone to Indy made the PC CD Rom version. I so wished it had come to the Mega CD
    Sam & Max didn't make it to Mac until 1995 and it would have been likely that 1995 would have also been the date to get it out on Sega CD, which would have been way to late.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Off the top of my head only 18% of the Sega-CD library is "fmv" games.
    Exactly it's a bit of an urban myth that the Mega CD was all FMV. There was far more FMV games on the PC CD Rom and the CD-i also pushed FMV games very hard and was a much better FMV system than the Mega CD

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The CD release of Wing Commander 1 came out in 1994, with Wing Commander II, shortly before the launch of the PlayStation in Japan. Wing Commander III came out at the end of the year and included FMV cutscenes and FMV character conversations that you could do by clicking responses. Wing Commander was nearly a 4 year old game by then. PC gamers could afford to buy a CD ROM drive and sound card, because they'd already invested more than $1,000 just for the PC alone.
    Wing Commander II came out on the PC CD Rom and also had full speech in 92 PC Gamers bought quite a few Soundblaster cards to get the speech. Soundblaster was widely printed on the game cover too.
    You look over how 7th Guest Star Wars: Rebel Assault pushed PC ROM CD Roms sales through the roof in 1993 and many people credit those games for making PC owners buy a CD ROM

Like I said I don't get why you take issue with the Mega CD but seem to have no issue with the PC CD ROM or PC Eng CD Rom. Other than better music, speech and more storage, what did the PC Eng CD Rom bring to the table that couldn't be done on the base PC Engine?
    Pretty much the same could be said for the PC CD Rom too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Exactly it's a bit of an urban myth that the Mega CD was all FMV. There was far more FMV games on the PC CD Rom and the CD-i also pushed FMV games very hard and was a much better FMV system than the Mega CD
    Agree 100%. Sega CD got a lot of hate in the mid-2000s from the Angry Nintendo Nerd who seemed to propagate this mindset among many people.

I got my first SegaCD secondhand and was totally sold by the hype from magazines at the time, it was very much worth it as my first CD player as well. I was mainly a rental kid and got a lot out of the system that way. Early on I remember the system being sold out, and I just wish they had more titles within the initial launch to keep the hype going.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information