Quantcast

Thread: Rambo: First Blood Part II

Master System Rambo: First Blood Part II

Rambo II was the Master System's first big-name, two-player run-'n-gun, and it was a pretty fun romp while it lasted. Varied environments and lots of enemies helped make up for the game's relatively slow pace, and the soundtrack is highly underrated. This is one underrated gem that Master System owners should give a try. Read our full review for all the details.

I really enjoyed this game when I was an insipid teenage twat. I'm no longer a teenager, but I'm still an insipid twat and still love this game!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Solid review of a solid game, goldenband. I can't comment on the specifics because it's been years since I last played it, but I had some fun with it over the years. It's one of the more memorable licensed games from that era. I didn't even realize that there was a level code to continue after dying, so thanks for the tip.

What I always liked about the game is that it's a 2 player co-op run 'n' gun, and that's a rarity on the system. Heck, that's a console rarity in that era period. Too many good run 'n' guns are 1 player only, and these types of games lend themselves so well to playing with a buddy.

I guess I never really thought of it as a direct rival of Ikari Warriors. I suppose it makes some sense considering how popular that game was at the time, but run 'n' guns in general were pretty dang prolific back than overall, so I don't know that I would have focused so much on that comparison in the review. I think of them both as just contemporary run 'n' guns in an already crowded market.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Thanks, profholt82. Maybe I hit the Ikari angle hard, but playing Rambo and seeing how many tics it adopts from SNK's game, it really felt like "Ikari done right on a console".

But of course it doesn't have player-controllable tanks (for example), and the end-of-level sequence is more Commando-esque than anything -- though Rambo's slow play is what really reminds me of Ikari.

It's funny that we don't talk more about Front Line, which really established the template for a lot of these games. (And is also slow as hell.)

Good review, goldenband.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

You know how it goes. Get up to use the toilet at 3am and end up reading a review of Rambo on the Master System 😅

An excellent and we'll researched review at that.

Thread Information