Quantcast

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's culture of negativity and jaded gamer BS

Default Today's culture of negativity and jaded gamer BS

I can't remember if I've ranted about this here before, or not.

Pretty much one of my biggest peeves about the Internet these days is all the negativity in the gaming sphere online, and all the jaded SOBs out there who just love to bash on games in general. There's so much negativity it just gets sickening. It's one of the reasons that I'm almost afraid to watch YT videos on games these days, but I know if there's commentary, they're going to start in with their negative nitpick, or bash the game bullshit. I'm beyond tired of hearing shit like that from so-called "gamers". If you don't like a game, then don't fucking play it, and shut up about it. It get pissed hearing that drivel when all I want is to see about a game that I'm interested in, and that I WANT to be something I can enjoy.... but all I'm greeted with is the negative BS, and some douche-nossle who has it out for the game, cracking lame jokes with forced laughing and riveting commentary like "Oh my god bro, never play this game!!!". It's so tiring. You're not the AVGN. Even the AVGN isn't the AVGN. That's come and gone. Even James Rolfe himself has said that his negativity sells, more than his positive takes ever have. People want the misery.

That's one of the reasons why I loved CGR. Mark was so positive, and so charitable with games. He saw the fun in games that most people would never take a second look at. Because they are fun, and they can be enjoyable IF you allow yourself to think outside of the hive-mind of the gaming communities and so-called journalists online who like to act as gatekeepers to what's supposedly perfect and flawless, and what sucks because X,Y and Z reasons. Marked enjoyed all sorts of games, hidden gems, games which were critically panned, games that were so bad they were good, games with flaws, games that were just mindless fun. I feel like Mark sees gaming in a similar way that I do, where the intent of what a game is trying to do, is almost more important than how well it does that, and if you can overlook the shortcomings, then you're gonna have fun with it. I'm not in search the "perfect" game, with it's ever changing goal posts. I'm not tired of the old formula. I don't need new gimmicks.

I don't care if a game has flaws. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. I don't care that it's not perfect, don't care that it's not doing something innovative, I don't care about the nitpicks. I'm not jaded. I don't need to be told what games I "should never bother playing", that's up to me. I take no joy in trying to tear something down that I didn't enjoy. But like the spoiled little brats that a lot of modern day gamers grew up from being, they absolutely do. It's so damn annoying. You don't have to like every game, but you don't have to be a dumb ass about it, either. Move along. Go find your perfect 10/10 game and rave about it.

Unfortunately this negativity has a massive amount of influence on the normie population as well. A game comes out and if it's panned, then studious shut down. No one buys the game because *gasp* - some jaded asshole online nitpicked it apart and said it was a waste of money. Better not try it for yourself. So then we loose the potential for more future games because all the resources and talent behind the failed game are now gone forever.... Back in the day before I ever really delved into the online world of game journalism and community commentary, I had no idea people were so damn miserable about video games. It was a shocking, and depressing realization to make. I've always liked pretty much everything that I wanted to play, to some degree. But damn, people are so freaking miserable out there and they bring that misery into the things which were created to escape from misery, itself. I'm just not on board with it. Games are meant to be enjoyed. Let people enjoy them.

Not sure where else to go with this rant. What are your thoughts?

Master of Shinobi

Would have rep'd but it says I need to spread some around before giving it to you again.

Yeah, this is spot on. There's not only a lot of negativity, but just a bunch of guys with no sense of humor, way too serious all the time. I thought gaming was supposed to be about having fun. It's why I barely post on forums or Reddit anymore.

Deep down, most of the guys who are endlessly complaining are jealous they will never be able to make a game on their own, not even a simple tech demo, or do anything of consequence for that matter. It's just like Teddy Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena" speech, the critic can say whatever they want but at the end of the day it makes no difference, all that matters is the person who's willing to put their own blood, sweat, tears and money into making a game or new hardware. Right now I see this happening with the Intellivision Amico. Every Internet expert thinks it's going to suck, and maybe it will, but I'd like to see them contribute 1/100th of what Tommy Tallarico has done in the gaming industry.

And yeah, AVGN is a prime example of this. He spent years pointing out the flaws in everyone else's work, then when he made his own movie it was no better than the shitty movies and games that he reviews. I give him all the credit in the world for at least getting it done, but I thought the experience might have humbled him. Nope, if anything he got even more arrogant after that. It's too bad because his series was truly hilarious for the first couple of years.

Social Media is the devil. I am also sick of people jumping on a 'said' bandwagon and just saying and posting what they think people want to read and hear rather than what they actually believe.
    It's far easier to rip into the likes of EA rather than actually say this or that EA game is actually good and I see that also done with Sonic games, Cod games and some RE games mainly from people who haven't actually bought or played the games in question

I also trie of people saying this or that game have aged. That is stating the bloody obvious all games age its almost pointless knocking the likes of Tomb Raider controls or camera system given than was the best CORE could do and was made in the age of digital controls, same goes for Resident Evil so-called 'tank' controls

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    , but I'd like to see them contribute 1/100th of what Tommy Tallarico has done in the gaming industry.
    I quite agree. I remember Tommy pushing hard for gaming to take sound seriously in the early 90's and how it upset him how sound at time was usually done right at the end of the game development and how they always were had to work with what was left of leftover of the Cart Rom. Its thanks to people like Tommy where sound design is now central to game development
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I agree, for the most part, but there are times where Iím glad Iíd heard the negativity. It saved me from spending my money on Neal Druckmanís TLOU2. It was a total shit on the face of the fans of the 1st game. And itís making men look like a bunch of idiots, certainly wasnít going to go well with the majority of male gamers that liked the 1st game. The Last of Us ended with the 1st game, in my mind.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08-01-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Would have rep'd but it says I need to spread some around before giving it to you again.

Yeah, this is spot on. There's not only a lot of negativity, but just a bunch of guys with no sense of humor, way too serious all the time. I thought gaming was supposed to be about having fun. It's why I barely post on forums or Reddit anymore.

Deep down, most of the guys who are endlessly complaining are jealous they will never be able to make a game on their own, not even a simple tech demo, or do anything of consequence for that matter. It's just like Teddy Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena" speech, the critic can say whatever they want but at the end of the day it makes no difference, all that matters is the person who's willing to put their own blood, sweat, tears and money into making a game or new hardware. Right now I see this happening with the Intellivision Amico. Every Internet expert thinks it's going to suck, and maybe it will, but I'd like to see them contribute 1/100th of what Tommy Tallarico has done in the gaming industry.

And yeah, AVGN is a prime example of this. He spent years pointing out the flaws in everyone else's work, then when he made his own movie it was no better than the shitty movies and games that he reviews. I give him all the credit in the world for at least getting it done, but I thought the experience might have humbled him. Nope, if anything he got even more arrogant after that. It's too bad because his series was truly hilarious for the first couple of years.
    AVGN no longer writes his own material. James is an employee and given a script written for him by a committee now. AVGN stopped being AVGN about the time GT died.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I agree, for the most part, but there are times where Iím glad Iíd heard the negativity. It saved me from spending my money on Neal Druckmanís TLOU2. It was a total shit on the face of the fans of the 1st game. And itís making men look like a bunch of idiots, certainly wasnít going to go well with the majority of male gamers that liked the 1st game. The Last of ended with the 1st game, in my mind.
    I don't mind when it's justified like say for Sonic 06 and a poor game of that nature. It's bothers me when it's clearly people jumping on a bandwagon the hate put on Last Of Us 2 was a joke . It's not just games either, its happens more and more with films too. I see people know ripping into James Cameron and already calling Avtar 2 and 3 a waste of time and how they'll be crap.

It's so utterly depressing more so on YouTube
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I don't mind when it's justified like say for Sonic 06 and a poor game of that nature. It's bothers me when it's clearly people jumping on a bandwagon the hate put on Last Of Us 2 was a joke . It's not just games either, its happens more and more with films too. I see people know ripping into James Cameron and already calling Avtar 2 and 3 a waste of time and how they'll be crap.

It's so utterly depressing more so on YouTube
    I believe the backlash was from fans to negate the idiot media outlets that gave the game such a high score. Even the story is just plain stupid.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

@WarmSignal
    I'd say it's a culture of attention seeking rather than just negativity.
    But, yes, probably the shortest and easiest path to get attention it's just be very loud and vocal about whatever nitpick you have in your mind.

At some point, CGR also derailed into just attention seeking videos and IMHO that's one of the major factors which got that channel destroyed (aside from all the YT drama).

There are many trends in gaming topics: the "hidden gems", the "failed consoles", the "why x company did y 30 years ago", etc.
    At the end of the day, it's all bullshit.
    Gimme more money to my patreon program so I can build my channel and my collection and say whatever the fuck you want inside my "community".

There are other "gaming" channels which focus on drama, whatever kind of drama they can find related to a game; that's another path for attention.
    In general, the vast majority of YT and twitch channels only exist for the sake of attention seeking rather than true passion for anything.

Last, but not least, there's also the fact that a lot of these channels which portray themselves as genuine passionate places for gamers are also willing and pushing for getting freebies from publishers, developers and hardware-related companies.
    A lot of the hyped positivity is false too; while a lot of the negativity is also fueled by the lack of $$$ and/or freebies from such companies.
    Without some kind of financial push, many of those channels won't even talk about non-AAA games.

And there's the other side of the coin too: try to talk to any honest owner of a channel with 50k+ subscribers; they'll tell you about several stories of publishers and developers trying to force their hand in one way or another.
    If you don't follow certain guidelines, you get sidelined real quick and then you'll have to compete with other channels which are being boosted by such companies/people.

Internet has become such a nasty cesspool, you can't really expect any authenticity from it. Everything is monetized in one way or another, and, many, many times, the monetization comes with a lot of behind-the-scenes bs.

The idea that any "relevant" YT or twitch channel is nowadays any less biased and corrupted than the old magazines is, sadly, naive IMHO.
    Last edited by Barone; 08-01-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post

And there's the other side of the coin too: try to talk to any honest owner of a channel with 50k+ subscribers; they'll tell you about several stories of publishers and developers trying to force their hand in one way or another.
    If you don't follow certain guidelines, you get sidelined real quick and then you'll have to compete with other channels which are being boosted by such companies/people.
    This very thing happened to a PC hardware review channel from Australia, not once, but twice. The 1st time this happened, the PC hardware community came in force to back them, when their Nvidia rep threatened to withhold hardware from them, for not adhering to what they were told to review.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I believe the backlash was from fans to negate the idiot media outlets that gave the game such a high score. Even the story is just plain stupid.
    I remember calling one person put and the response I got was how they didn't need to play The Last Of Us II they just watched it on YouTube. The hate put on that game was silly over some sexual content. I see some hating on Resident Evil 8 despite the fact they've never played it and with them needing to look to youtube streamers usually one with a huge OTT expressive look on their face to their video link: something which the likes of Review Tech USA does all the time. Games need to be played and then you can justifiably call them out but even then on Youtube its all about what a streamer thinks an audience will like, so you get more likes and subscribes

Long gone are the good old days of Gamefan and Mean Machines where it was almost like the staff couldn't believe they were getting paid to play games and systems. How the staff looked forward to any new piece of hardware with enthusiasm even if it was coming from Atari
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Long gone are the good old days of Gamefan and Mean Machines where it was almost like the staff couldn't believe they were getting paid to play games and systems. How the staff looked forward to any new piece of hardware with enthusiasm even if it was coming from Atari
    I enjoyed Gamefan bitd while being fully aware of what it was, but they were doing the kinds of things discussed in this thread.They "accidentally" wrote a hate piece on a game and then accidentally printed it, pretty much killing their chances of ever going mainstream. After that they bent over backwards to please publishers, all the while still pushing their console biased slants and myths.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training fr0zenbuttox's Avatar

The people who have attachment to gaming media outlets (Giant Bomb) are the ones forsaking their hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I enjoyed Gamefan bitd while being fully aware of what it was, but they were doing the kinds of things discussed in this thread.They "accidentally" wrote a hate piece on a game and then accidentally printed it, pretty much killing their chances of ever going mainstream. After that they bent over backwards to please publishers, all the while still pushing their console biased slants and myths.
    It wasnít a hate piece. They were doing a layout for a Madden review and someone put in some repeating words about those Japs must must be smokiní some serious shit to come up with a game like Ace Combat. That was repeated several times to fill the space, as a joke, and it accidentally made it to print.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

We all know that the worst offenders are all those asshats on sega-16.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    We all know that the worst offenders are all those asshats on sega-16.
    It's Toms fault.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information