Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The “Perfect” Sega Genesis Database

We've hit our first milestone. The Letter A for NTSC-U is now 100% complete. (Manuals for every game!)

The letter B is now implemented! We're only missing 3 manuals and working on finding them now, but if you have them (Blaster Master, Bubsy II & Beast Wrestler) please let me know!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Looks sweet. I would say if possible to add box art spines that would be great. Also as far as platformer vs action platformer it's tough because most games fall into both. Generally I classify games as platformer only if you can jump on top of enemies to kill them. There will never be a consensus though so for something like this action probably works as a catch all.

I do think run and gun can be a pretty solidified sub group. Maybe I am wrong and they wouldn't be enough consensus on those games either.
    I agree with this. In fact I would say if you're including manuals also include full insert scans.

This is a very ambitious project but I wish you luck. I also think including region availability would be important to include, even if you didn't have all the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I agree with this. In fact I would say if you're including manuals also include full insert scans.

This is a very ambitious project but I wish you luck. I also think including region availability would be important to include, even if you didn't have all the data.
    Things were set up early to to support other regions, but until a system is developed that will allow others to contribute it won't be deployed. Right now our goal is NTSC-U, but technically we can do this. It's more due to the scope of a 1 man team manually verifying and adding each game. Scans we get are a big help, but are often raw and need to be cropped and converted to PDF. That plus the dev, design and database population and data-scraping. It takes a bit too much effort to start supporting it.

If someone wants to take charge of adding spines to game, I'm open to the idea, so reach out if you do.

Also, the Letter C was just deployed, so feel free to check it out everyone!

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Glad to see this going so swiftly!
    It has been said before but it would be dreamy to have it browsable by Japanese boxarts/releases some day.
    Will definitely make an effort to provide whatever manual I can on the other thread when I got time sometime soon.

»» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

On NGC? No, DREAMCAST! ;D WCPO Agent GameX's Avatar

Love it! Keep up the great work, looking great man !!
    Collection:

NES [11/XX/90] N64 [12/25/03] GB [2003 or 2004] GBA SP [2004 or 2005] NGC [12/25/04] Wii [12/25/07] DS Lite [10/21/10] SNES [05/31/20]

GenMobile [05/XX/10 - 04/17/11] DC [07/23/10] GEN1-HDG [10/25/10] Saturn Model 2 [04/24/11] Game Gear [07/21/17] SMS [08/07/17] GEN2 [08/09/17] SCD2 [08/09/17] 32x [08/24/17] GEN3 [06/06/20] GEN-Mini [06/10/20] Nomad [08/22/21]

PS3 Slim 320GB + PSMove [12/25/10] PS2 Slim [02/09/11] PS [04/24/11]

Xbox [04/24/11]

Nameless One

That's an impressive work.
    But as one of the guys behind guardiana, I'm surprised reading some critics here... that were never made to us.
    And I also struggle to understand why anyone would want to create just one more website from scratch instead of contacting us to help and improve the site.
    I mean, we are a collaborative database making absolutely no money from it (not even to pay for the servers) so I really can't see the reasons...
    Guardiana, the Megadrive Musem.
    Come and join us at http://www.guardiana.net !

Quote Originally Posted by Goati View Post
    Glad to see this going so swiftly!
    It has been said before but it would be dreamy to have it browsable by Japanese boxarts/releases some day.
    Will definitely make an effort to provide whatever manual I can on the other thread when I got time sometime soon.
    I couldn’t agree more here. I have a placeholder for “Browse NTCU-U by NTSC-J / PAL Boxart” and I hope I can deploy it soon. We’re changing our web stack to support this so it might be a bit, but I 100% plan to add this.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberguile View Post
    But as one of the guys behind guardiana, I'm surprised reading some critics here... that were never made to us.
    And I also struggle to understand why anyone would want to create just one more website from scratch instead of contacting us to help and improve the site.
    I mean, we are a collaborative database making absolutely no money from it (not even to pay for the servers) so I really can't see the reasons...
    Cool website - If you’re curious I’d suggest reading out about section to get a better understanding why I’d make a new database from scratch and that should answer everything! But a couple points:

1) We’re a call to action to complete the NTSC-U manual collection. Seems like your website doesn’t support manuals. Within our first month we’ve gotten around 40 previously unarchived manuals which is pretty amazing.

2) We’re not just a Sega Database. While that’s all we are at the moment, our consoles will expand beyond that

3) I work on document translations for NTSC-J games, there’s zero home for this type of media (Which is what this website started out as)

4) We’re moving slowly because I want to focus on accuracy. No games will be added to my database unless it’s been manually verified first.

5) We support robust filtering. That means sorting games by Genre, Publisher, Multiplayer Options etc... This really doesn’t exist on any other database apart from MobyGames, but it only allows you to view games in a text based format. Not great for finding new games to play imo.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 08-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberguile View Post
    [...]
    Heyo! Sorry, that came off wrong, let me clarify a bit:
    the list I provided on page 1 is my google spreadsheet which keeps track of my personal twitch project. Well, it's a livestream thing, so it's public and all and not really personal... but that's besides the point, what I'm trying to say is that it was never meant to be a comprehensive thing or a substitute, just an assisting document to a stream format.
    It was indeed lifted from Guardiana, which is a detail I wouldn't even know if I hadn't been told by the kind viewer who compiled it for me ages ago.

On a side note, when I started learning programming professionally I also kept a software project to aid me with stuff like that; I had a half goal in mind of eventually integrating in it pretty much what HappehLemons is doing here and I couldn't be more glad about it!
    I hope it goes superwell and becomes the go-to resource for specs, boxarts and lore. It would be exciting to contribute it in a later stage in the form of a wiki (I'm getting way ahead of things here but I'd have a million paragraphs in sheer lore to write up).

Very nice to read that the Japanese artworks are already in the back of the head (and software).
    Could add rom size in megabits and megabytes, sound engine used (pulling from gdri..)
    Ah well best of luck with this noble effort.

»» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Thread Information