Quantcast

Thread: Any appreciation for Puggsy?

Default Any appreciation for Puggsy?

I almost never see this game talked about. For me, this is one of the standout titles on the genesis! Top notch music and graphics, lots of variety in level backgrounds and enemies. Great use of color. Tons of secrets and secret levels... There are also a ton of "demo-scene"-like graphic effects in the game, which reinforces the idea that it was put together by a very skilled programmer (well, it was Traveller's Tales... and the programmer went on to do a bunch of other impressive stuff on genesis and saturn, like Toy Story and Sonic R...) I also enjoy the psuedo physics based gameplay and multiple items you can pick up and manipulate. The sonic games and Ristar are top notch, but for other platformers, I'd readily pick Puggsy over other non-sega stuff like High Seas Havoc or Socket.

Nameless One

Puggsy is an awesome title that has a lot of potential and charm to it to the point I consider it my #1 3rd party Genesis/Mega Drive title of all time, the Total Object Interaction (TOI) physics engine is what stole the show for me, it was so dynamic and groundbreaking for the puzzle platformer genre at the time that had Puggsy caught on like it should have it would have redefined puzzle platformers forever, then again if you follow both GameHut and the Coding Secrets channels my fanboyism for this game comes as no surprise (probably much to Jon's dismay since it seems Puggsy is a touchy subject for him to talk about)

The biggest reason I've been so persistent with asking Jon for Puggsy coding secrets episodes pretty much from day 1 (and we finally got one after 4 years of persistence and passion and even though it wasn't as interesting as (TOI) or fullscreen scaling would have been it was still something interesting and something I didn't even know or see coming and if the responses to that video are any indication it seems more people are starting to stop and take notice and interest in this gem) because I know people will become interested if they see exactly what Puggsy brought to the table and what it had to offer when it came out and to try and help correct a major injustice this game faced when it came out (Genesis/Mega Drive players really missed out on something truly special with Puggsy).

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

It's possible that it's not more popular due to the fact that this is what needs to be done to get anywhere on an emulator/Everdrive:
    http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?PH....msg199#msg199

That and some probably just give up when they fail to realize how to grab a ledge and pull Puggsy up.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I actually just bought this in PAL format and have only had time to fire it up in Kega via a Retrode and noticed that when run in an NTSC mode there is vertical shimmer. I then tried an NTSC ROM (since deleted) for comparison and found the same thing. The assests also look stretched vertically.

I imagine this title was made with black PAL bars in mind and the intention that it could be played on an NTSC console as is so as to avoid chopping off the top and bottom? I think this because if it was made with the intention to play only in PAL territory then all the vertical resolution would have been filled with graphics?

I might get an NTSC copy to do more testing...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Ha. A very simple copy protection technique, and still working because the rom is unpopular. The coders of Puggsy must be laughing in their beard somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    That and some probably just give up when they fail to realize how to grab a ledge and pull Puggsy up.
    Lol you might have a point. I was playing Puggsy in front of a friend once and when he saw me do a particularly gnarly manuever to get over a high ledge (sorta climbing the wall by moving my item up and down strategically) he was incredulous that the game seemingly required you to play it this way.

Another Puggsy memory I want to mention is that the first time I played the game through, I did not know that you could jump on enemies to kill them (you have to press the down arrow to do this, otherwise you get hurt/die when you jump on an enemy). I can definitely say that playing through the game without jumping on enemies to kill them is very do-able albeit adds a significant unnecessary challenge.

I loved it for its technical ability to show off the Mega Drive hardware and also to a point the Mega CD. But found the game dull to play
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    It's possible that it's not more popular due to the fact that this is what needs to be done to get anywhere on an emulator/Everdrive:
    http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?PH....msg199#msg199

Does the Mega Everdrive Pro have the same issue? If there is no flag for SRAM in a ROM header or something then it would have to be recognized with a ROM database so the Everdrive OS can disable SRAM automatically. I assume it can disable SRAM. I seem to recall seeing the manual option.

Another happy owner of an original, physical Puggsy copy. I still like it a lot, to be fair. Looks and sounds beautiful, has a huge gameplay variety and despite being very hard sometimes it manages to be a chill game experience overall.

Thread Information