Quantcast

Thread: Tintin in Tibet

Sonic Tintin in Tibet

Tintin has been a classic comic hero for over a century, so it was only natural for him to get his own video game. It's based on the 1960 book and features visuals were straight out of the comic. Lamentably, the gameplay and difficulty make this one adventure better left to the printed page. Read our full review for more details.

Most, if not all the Infogrames games based on Franco-Belgian comics are much better in their 8 bit versions developed by Bit Managers rather than the 16 bit versions created by Infogrames themselves. Especially when comparing the average musics of the 16 bit versions with the awesome 8 bit versions musics written by Alberto José González.

The Spirou soundtrack for both the Game Boy and the Game Gear is especially terrific.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

Unfortunately it seems like this is a disappointing game and worth missing. I bought Tintin in Tibet a few years ago as I figured a Tintin game would be a surefire win, I just hadn't gotten round to playing it. It's also a strange choice to use one of 20 or so books to base the game on rather than developing a plot specifically for it. To me the trouble with trying to replicate the plot of a story (something written without a video game in mind) has the potential to introduce additional constraints and challenges.

Nonetheless, I'll still play it someday soon but my enthusiasm for it has dampened somewhat.

I own the Mega Drive version too, but like I said, if you really want to play Tintin in Tibet, it's best to do it with either the Game Boy, the Game Gear or the Game Boy Color version. These versions are still somewhat hard but not as infuriatingly frustrating as the 16 bit versions, and fortunately, the crazy tight timer is completely gone in the 8 bit versions too. Overall and despite the 8 bit limitations, you'll enjoy a better balanced game and believe it or not, a catchy and much better soundtrack.

The later Game Boy Color version is even rebalanced to be a little easier and has a much more frequent password placement. In contrast, passwords are still scarce and too distant in the early 8 bit versions, in the same vein as they are in the 16 bit versions.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Especially when comparing the average musics of the 16 bit versions with the awesome 8 bit versions musics written by Alberto José González.
    These are amazing! Thanks for posting them! Maybe it's just me who's in the dark, but is he not better known due to the quality of the games and/or hardware he composed on? I say that looking over his Wikipedia page and not seeing anything noteworthy listed.

Unfortunate that the game is so difficult. Tintin's a pretty big property, and a lot of the posted screenshots reminds me of the many Disney titles on the Genesis, but it doesn't even sound worth blowing through with a Game Genie.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    These are amazing! Thanks for posting them! Maybe it's just me who's in the dark, but is he not better known due to the quality of the games and/or hardware he composed on? I say that looking over his Wikipedia page and not seeing anything noteworthy listed.
    Probably because of the games themselves and the fact that they were geared towards certain European markets. Except for a couple of exceptions, they were mostly released only in Europe. I also have the feeling they were underestimated by many people, probably because of having played the inferior 16 bit versions and assuming the 8 bit versions are as mediocre as them. This is only the case with little exceptions like the second Smurfs game, in that particular case the 8 bit versions were created by the same developer of the 16 bit versions (Virtual Studio) and it shows. But mostly it was Bit Managers that handled most of the 8 bit versions of the Infogrames Franco-Belgian comic games and this is where they usually surpass the 16 bit versions created in France.

Aside from working extensively with Infogrames, Bit Managers was also notorious for creating the Game Boy and Game Boy Color versions of the Turok titles. While in this case we find completely different games that can't really be compared to the Nintendo 64 and PC counterparts, these are another and maybe more widely known example of the great music of Alberto José González.

I've only played the 8 and 16 bit versions of Smurfs 1 and 2. Smurfs 1 16 bit is a favorite of mine, and in my opinion the only playable one of the 16 bit games. I'll always prefer its 16 bit version. Smurfs 2 is definitely better on Master System, I can't speak for Tintin and Spirou.

It seemed that after the Smurfs games, the games became increasingly harder to play. Spirou's first couple of levels can be played just fine, but it will get harder to down-right unfair, fast.

With Tintin, while very pretty to look it, it's far worse than that. Not fun to play. Not even with Game Genie codes AND save slots. Definitely avoid it, not good for your blood pressure.

I've only played a few minutes of Tintin in Tibet, and it was pretty unmemorable. I will have to give it another shot. It sure looks nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    It sure looks nice though.
    No argument there

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    I've only played the 8 and 16 bit versions of Smurfs 1 and 2. Smurfs 1 16 bit is a favorite of mine, and in my opinion the only playable one of the 16 bit games. I'll always prefer its 16 bit version. Smurfs 2 is definitely better on Master System.
    Spot on. Smurfs on the Genesis (well, Mega Drive) is lovely and atmospheric and a pleasure to play, and I quite like the Master System game too. Nice music.

Smurfs 2 on the Master System is roughly as good as the first game, and I particularly like the music in this one as well.

But Smurfs 2 on the Mega Drive? That one is a miserable, labyrinthine, sadistic slog. Plus it crashes at 60Hz, and does so in an insidious way (it bombs out randomly at some point during the third level), which doesn't exactly help matters.

As for Tintin, I played it for a little bit, and then backed away slowly. It seemed like the kind of game that likes to leave you totally bewildered as to what to do.

Thread Information