Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bio-Ship Paladin

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Oh well of course, Thunder Force IV is (arguably) the best shmup on the Genesis, and was excellent in basically every aspect. Comparing a game to that makes sense, but a game (as much as I love it) as unremarkable as Zero Wing, it seemed kind of out in left field. I doubt from reading the review that its his favorite shmup, I think it may be by the same person that tried to tell me Bio-Ship Paladin was better than Zero Wing on these boards a while back. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and Im not saying he's wrong, well yea i am nevermind.

Hey, man I haven't posted in a while, university sign ups and tours can be a bitch. Yeah Zero Wing isn't my favourite game of all time but I couldn't think of anything else to really compare it to :P they seemed kind of similar bar the whole evolving ship thing. I enjoyed BioShip though, don't think i'd buy it however.
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

BioShip Paladin fades in comparsion with Zero Wing... I don't like Paladin...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101
    Thunder Force IV is (arguably) the best shmup on the Genesis, and was excellent in basically every aspect...
    I agree - although the slowdown is slightly annoying (but it makes it easier to dodge enemy bullets.) The music is great though, which is why my wife and I used it during our wedding ceremony. It was kind of weird making out to the music of Chemical Plant Zone on our honeymoon, though.
    Last edited by xbrinkx; 12-06-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by AxelStone
    Yeah Zero Wing isn't my favourite game of all time but I couldn't think of anything else to really compare it to :P they seemed kind of similar bar the whole evolving ship thing.
    It's weird that we're discussing more of Zero Wing than of the actual game from the thread.

Since everybody is writing about comparisons, I have to say that I disagree that Zero Wing's ship "evolves". This a concept that's closer to Darwin 4081, but that's a completely different game.

Personally, I think Paladin is closer in looks to Steel Empire. As for its speed - the main root of controversies and instant-haters - I consider it to be highly unique.

I hate the fact that your ship becomes a space cow when you die and respawn. The "Gradius Syndrome" of ships being painfully slow makes me want to throw the controller at the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by xbrinkx
    I agree - although the slowdown is slightly annoying (but it makes it easier to dodge enemy bullets.) The music is great though, which is why my wife and I used it during our wedding ceremony.
    Which track?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

It's weird that we're discussing more of Zero Wing than of the actual game from the thread.
    Very true. Look what you did, Andrew!

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

The music is great though, which is why my wife and I used it during our wedding ceremony.
    Wow. That is probably the most beautiful thing I have ever read in my life, and I read eddie murphys autobiography. I applaud you two for that.

The music is great though, which is why my wife and I used it during our wedding ceremony. It was kind of weird making out to the music of Chemical Plant Zone on our honeymoon, though.
    Oh my... This is wonderful!

I always imagined the soundtrack to my life with game tunes... But never got that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    Very true. Look what you did, Andrew!
    I've created a Frankenwing Paladin
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

Just a minor correction to the review: this game has actually 9 stages, not 10.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I've tried MANY times to give this game a chance in liking it but holy shit this just an awful shmup. The music sounds too simple, there really isn't anything special graphically about this game. The gameplay is nothing to brag about and apart from XDR X-Dazedly-Ray. This is 2nd most GENERIC shmup on the Mega Drive's library.

-Slow scrolling
    -Ugly ass ship you play as
    -lame power ups that make your ship fatter and easier to be hit

And to hell with it's asking price. Who would ever pay over $100 for this POS other than completing their colleciton.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Decided to fully beat this game using save states because due to the unfair difficulty and lack of fun this turd has to offer, I did not give it a serious sit down on it.

A total of 9 or 10 levels....I forgot due to lack of interest.

The only unique thing game has to offer is that not only is it 2-players but you have this aim ability that let's you shoot anywhere on screen but that's about it.
    There's no way to visually tell when your shooting the enemies or areas on the battle ships. The only way to know is to hear the sound change from your fire that changes to the sounds of thumps. Sometimes there's too many enemies on screen that creates incredible slow down on the game. As I also said before, your power ups, actually there really aren't power ups in the game. The 'L' ball refills your life and makes your ship bigger, which is pretty fucking stupid as you are now a much easier target to hit. The 'S' ball makes your ship faster and you well need this thing as your ship moves in a very slow manner without it and in a game where there's a shit ton of enemies coming from everywhere, you well need it. Oh, there's also these round, rock looking things that are like turrets when you obtain them but it only takes one hit from an enemy to destroy. Considering their fire power is also very weak, I would avoid them. You could use them as shields but your aiming attack that creates a round, flashing circle can eliminate enemy fire. They weren't very helpful from my experience.

The game simply has the formula of having the same enemies appearing in almost every level, scrolling very slowly through out the levels and all the bosses of each stage are the same shit. They have turrets around them, you have to destroy them all and the boss starts exploding while slowly falling down. They are honestly not different from each other apart from their sizes and how they shoot you.

The ending isn't anything special, in fact I'll show it so you don't have to sit through this as I did. it is just a simple screen of the ship and text saying, "The Paladin's battle is over"....ok, very informative. After that, you see pictures of the bosses you defeated with theirs names below and after that the credits roll.

So yes, I can honestly confirm that this is one of the worst shmups on the Genesis as it offers nothing new except that aiming ability but that's it.

5/10
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 11-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I'm not sure if I agree with your argument that Bio-Ship Paladin is the worst shmup on the Genesis. What can be said is that it is different. It is basically the anti-thesis of what one would expect in a typical shmup game. It's slow paced, strategy oriented gameplay is not for everyone. I'm sure most shmup fans would find the game frustrating but not impossible. In order to enjoy this game you really need to get out of the mindset of approaching the game like your typical arcade shooter and instead learn to chart your way through each stage in a very tactical fashion.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information