Quantcast

Thread: Port of Castlevania: SotN to Sega Megadrive/Genesis

Outrunner

Default Port of Castlevania: SotN to Sega Megadrive/Genesis

Just seen this on YouTube. Still very early days but looking promising:

Nameless One

Neat.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I was thinking about a port of this game for Genesis and whether it was possible and i reckon a decent cut down version would be doable especially after seeing Demons Of Asteborg. Circle of the Moon on GBA would make a decent port to Genesis is done right and by a talented team.

Ive personally always wanted to see Rondo of Blood port for the Genesis, now that would be great.

EDIT: Just watched the vid and it looks amazing how close it is to the original.
    Last edited by Edek; 09-05-2021 at 05:23 PM.

I think this sort of research/indi-development is totally great, but I think that too much investment is a waste. Nothing can be done with the game, if it's ever completed, due to licensing rights, and I'm all for people getting paid for awesome things they make. I think this sort of learning/dev/sharing should all be in service of creating your own game, and making this retro game dev hobby into an actual job/source of income. Not for the sake of making money, mind you, but just so that their effort and time investment has some sort of ability to either create a new source of income, or at the very least, result in enough income to offset the investment. So many of these projects never get completed or released, and that's because there really is no end goal outside of learning and sharing. This is absolutely a good thing, in itself, but the reality is, all this can be used to just make your own game, which, in this market, if it's even half decent, will sell.

That being said, this is all great progress, and I appreciate the dev sharing their progress. I hope we can play it at some point, but more over, I hope this turns into the dev making their own awesome game, that we can buy and play.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I saw this the other day. Concept-demos and games are two very different things, especially when demos don't take into account any limitations(rom size, actual data structures, etc).

But what I find a little suspicious, is that they say "As part of my journey to learn how to code". This demo already shows someone that has some intermediate or advance knowledge of implementing things in code and on the system. That first area with fake sprites as a BG layer, hscroll, etc is not a beginner or novice thing for someone just starting out. They also have working slope collision detection, which is also not a beginner thing haha. I don't know if it's just a miss-translation or such, but the person definitely isn't a beginner programmer or "leaning how to code". I guess I'm just cynical and suspicious because I've seen quite a monetization of videos lately just for the sake of monetization but in the guise of something else. Anyway that aside, definitely like these kinds of videos and we need more of them.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I saw this the other day. Concept-demos and games are two very different things, especially when demos don't take into account any limitations(rom size, actual data structures, etc).

But what I find a little suspicious, is that they say "As part of my journey to learn how to code". This demo already shows someone that has some intermediate or advance knowledge of implementing things in code and on the system. That first area with fake sprites as a BG layer, hscroll, etc is not a beginner or novice thing for someone just starting out. They also have working slope collision detection, which is also not a beginner thing haha. I don't know if it's just a miss-translation or such, but the person definitely isn't a beginner programmer or "leaning how to code". I guess I'm just cynical and suspicious because I've seen quite a monetization of videos lately just for the sake of monetization but in the guise of something else. Anyway that aside, definitely like these kinds of videos and we need more of them.
    That's exactly the same reaction I had, no way in hell is this someone's first attempt at coding. In another video posted this month they also claim to be "completely inexperienced with pixel art". Yeah, right.

Either way it's a very impressive tech demo.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Probably Konami wouldn't even notice. They're too busy sinking coins into those pachinkos. The two people that actually work at Konami, I mean.

That's a decent demo, but I don't expect it will ever be a complete game. I think the knowledge and skills are there, he might be better off using those skills to make an original game that uses similar ideas to SOTN.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    That's a decent demo, but I don't expect it will ever be a complete game.
    That was said of Darius MD and now it sells bundled with the Mini and therefore licensed by Sega (the only new game since 2002, along with M2's new port of Tetris)

I agree that if they just want to improve their coding skills, they should aim for a new game, or ports of contemporary generation games
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Looks pretty dope. I wish people had this same passion for the 32X and SCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

I t looks amazing and I hope it is real.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    ^. This project for 32x would be sooo much more interesting and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    ^. This project for 32x would be sooo much more interesting and exciting.
    In 1994, development began on a Castlevania game for the Sega 32X, retroactively known under the title Castlevania: The Bloodletting. A playable prototype was created, but Konami decided to refocus its efforts on the PlayStation, and the game was cancelled as a result. Changes were made to these initial ideas, and the project became Symphony of the Night.[23]

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Yeah definitely. It's a shame that the 32x Castlevania never saw the light of day. I would have definitely enjoyed playing it.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Thread Information