Quantcast

Thread: Nintendo Switch ports to avoid, or not to avoid

Default Nintendo Switch ports to avoid, or not to avoid

So it actually took me quite a while to ever leave the realm of denial when it came to the fact that the Switch like all Nintendo consoles, isn't up to snuff with some modern games. I would stubbornly buy the Switch version, because dammit I wanted the game on the Switch. I've finally admitted to myself, that sometimes you're simply screwing yourself over to buy the Switch port of some games, as oppose to buying it on another platform. There are games which you'd think the Switch could competently handle, but it turns out the port either looks or plays like ass. Then there are games you'd think the Switch would struggle with, but the game plays like a dream on the platform.

So the discussion here is what Switch ports would you be doing yourself a disservice to buy? Also, which ports surprisingly came out well on the platform, so that'd you'd recommend them just as easily as any other version? With the Switch it seems like you can never really tell. Apparently Sonic Colors remaster was a train-wreck on Switch, while Subnuatica is a really good port? Makes tons of sense, right? Then there are random releases like Ghostrunner. It came out looking like hot trash, then they patched it so that it's decent now.

Any recommendations, or warnings to avoid? Specifically regarding the third party multi-plats.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Games running on UE4 often look muddy. There are some exceptions of course. Like God Eat 3 which looks and runs fine. Just be aware.

I'd avoid big AAA stuff in general with few exceptions like DQ as while they may run fine for the hardware. Better options out there unless you want them portable. Just it's not uncommon for these UE4 ports whether it be inexperience or time constraints or budget can often look messy on Switch. I don't blame hardware as Octopath, DQ, Bravely Default look amazing.

I think this game is awful period but if you are just curious and decide to buy it on the cheap. Contra Rogue Corps is a blurry mess on any console but on Switch is pure vaseline on the screen.

Ark is known to be horrible like 160P bad. Same with Apex. Awful ports.

Capcom collections like Mega Man, DMC or Resident Evil. Only half of it is on the cart the other half you have to download. I'd avoid games that say a download is required. (Monster Hunter Stories 2 is a printing error and does not require one, however)
    Same with Wolfenstien II. We are seeing less of this now in general but be wary of them.

YS IX looks and runs like crap.

The switch is good with most 360 era ports. You find a lot of hidden gems or old Shmups, Arcade games ported over and run great. The issues I run into more are either not the most technically minded small Japanese games working with UE4 or AAA ports trying to cram them in the system. Devs making you download half a game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I've heard that Sonic Mania runs pretty well on the Switch. And the Turrican collection isn't exactly demanding on hardware, so having it on the go isn't bad.

I don't know why anyone would want DOOM Eternal or The Witcher 3 on the Switch. They had to seriously cut everything down to get it running on that hardware.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Darius Cozmic Revelation's version of Darius burst EX + runs lower rez than the PS4 version, so only worthwhile if you need it on the go.

R-Type Final 2 apparently does not compare well to the PS4 and PC versions. I believe Bloodstained is in the same boat even after being patched.

I have heard from talk on Shmups forum that the Switch ports of Raiden V and Caladrius Blaze do not look good compared to PS4 as well.

Tbh Raiden 4 X Mikado Remix looks pretty muddy and low rez as well, even compared to the 360 original, so yeah.

From here on in I'm generally favouring the PS4 versions of multiplats unless I really want a portable version, or its exclusive.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 09-12-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Darius Cozmic Revelation's version of Darius burst EX + runs lower rez than the PS4 version, so only worthwhile if you need it on the go.

R-Type Final 2 apparently does not compare well to the PS4 and PC versions. I believe Bloodstained is in the same boat even after being patched.

I have heard from talk on Shmups forum that the Switch ports of Raiden V and Caladrius Blaze do not look good compared to PS4 as well.

Tbh Raiden 4 X Mikado Remix looks pretty muddy and low rez as well, even compared to the 360 original, so yeah.

From here on in I'm generally favouring the PS4 versions of multiplats unless I really want a portable version, or its exclusive.

I have had almost all of these and they look and run fine esp the shmups. I have a 4K TV and they look and run just fine. Bloodstained is ok and Rtype FInal is a lower resolution but it's not a mess.

Apparently the Switch version Kitaria Fables runs like a god damn slideshow. It looks like it could be a GameCube title, and the Switch performance just labors and chugs to run it. This is what's so frustrating about this platform, it doesn't make sense why these games run so bad.

People have said Sonic Colors Ultimate runs like garbage on Switch but it seems fine to me.

Sonic Colors got a patch so you're probably playing it with that since when it 1st released there were some graphic issues.

Also don't forget to update your Switch guys and we finally have bluetooth device support for the system.
    05/05/15

Yup. I did and then listened to the Thunderforce AC OST on it. Worth it.

Thread Information