Quantcast

Thread: Castlevania SOTN with real translucency effects

Default Castlevania SOTN with real translucency effects

I don't know why but until today before I published it on my Twitter it seemed to me that people don't know about this project.

Hacker Paul_Met who has worked on some great Saturn translation projects this week released the coolest Hack I've seen for this console from SEGA.

It restores many of the transparency effects in the game, making everything more beautiful and very close to the original work. Of course, you still notice a few issues here and there, and the console limitation of sprite transparencies doesn't override the others, but it still looks much better than the orignal.

It even removed the infamous black stripes and still supports the 4MB ram cartridge and activates several other features that make this the best version of the game for Saturn.

I made a short video testing (without the ram cartridge).

Main features:

Restoration of translucency of many objects;
    English translation of some elements;
    Direct access to the global map;
    Finalization of the global map;
    Restoration of the original proportions of some sprites;
    Removing horizontal black bars of the screen;
    Skipping videos and dialogues;
    Access to Richterís alternate costume;
    Reduced loading time;
    Support for 4MB expansion card;
    Bug fixes;

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6184/

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Well, it's not necessarily perfect. We've been discussing it over at SegaXtreme. Basically you can't just turn on VDP1 50/50 blending and expect it to work correctly everywhere. There's quite a few instances of things just looking off or broken due to the nuances of the effect. It happens a lot when the effect is applied to palleted sprites as the effect causes unpredictable results.

It's definitely a nice stepping stone, but I think the definitive version will be the English Patch by KnightOfDragon when he implements all the improvements he wants to do, using some of the things in this patch as a starting point. For example in his translation patch he already eliminated the load times for the Pause Menu without needing the 4MB RAM cart at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Well, it's not necessarily perfect. We've been discussing it over at SegaXtreme. Basically you can't just turn on VDP1 50/50 blending and expect it to work correctly everywhere. There's quite a few instances of things just looking off or broken due to the nuances of the effect. It happens a lot when the effect is applied to palleted sprites as the effect causes unpredictable results.

It's definitely a nice stepping stone, but I think the definitive version will be the English Patch by KnightOfDragon when he implements all the improvements he wants to do, using some of the things in this patch as a starting point. For example in his translation patch he already eliminated the load times for the Pause Menu without needing the 4MB RAM cart at all.
    Yeah, perfect none of them is...

Like I said we have some problems about VDP1 transparency effects but in my opinion is much better in this way, the limitations are from VDP itself, it not overlaps with other sprites and etc.. but the end result was amazing in my opinion and makes the overall look much better.

OFC the translation patch of Knight dragon is outstanding.. in a perfect world they join forces to make 1 big project together, but lest see.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Yeah, perfect none of them is...

Like I said we have some problems about VDP1 transparency effects but in my opinion is much better in this way, the limitations are from VDP itself, it not overlaps with other sprites and etc.. but the end result was amazing in my opinion and makes the overall look much better.

OFC the translation patch of Knight dragon is outstanding.. in a perfect world they join forces to make 1 big project together, but lest see.
    Well, the bigger issue I'd say is the issue with palleted sprites. You end up with corrupt colors that just look broken. So that definitely needs to be more fine tuned. There's also the case where it can introduce more performance issues.

Master of Shinobi

From what I've seen this hack enables some effects but screws up some others... the candles (which use vdp2 blending iirc) are screwed up now, the spinning background behind Death in the cutscene has the wrong priority, stuff like that. I also find it strange that they changed some graphics just for the sake of changing some graphics.

Looks more like a proof of concept to me.
    But I'm glad that the game is actively hacked now.

Wildside Expert

Paul Met has updated the patch to version 1.4 and it seems to add more fixes.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Does this patch fix the baked-in pre-scaled (integer) PS1 converted assets, removing those artifacts?

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Does this patch fix the baked-in pre-scaled (integer) PS1 converted assets, removing those artifacts?
    No, most of them are left alone as it would require completely reworking the game to work with the correct size assets. Some of the sprites for background and HUD elements have been replaced with their PS1 versions but that's it. Enemies, player sprites, background tiles, etc. are all left alone.

Master of Shinobi

"Fixing" that would screw up the aspect ratio of the game. The Saturn does not support that mode, so it would have to run in 320x224 with black bars on the sides.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    "Fixing" that would screw up the aspect ratio of the game. The Saturn does not support that mode, so it would have to run in 320x224 with black bars on the sides.
    I'm completely aware of that, and would prefer it over what they did.

Master of Shinobi

I'm completely aware of that, and would prefer it over what they did.
    I think at that rate it would be easier to port over the Saturn versions additions to the Playstation version.

Thread Information