Quantcast

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sega Ikebukuro GiGO arcade is closing

  1. #1
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    192

    Sad Sega Ikebukuro GiGO arcade is closing


  2. #2
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,981
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    05/05/15

  3. #3
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,703
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Was it just a matter of time thing, or did the Covid restrictions cause the closure?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  4. #4
    WCPO Agent Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    941
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Well that's unfortunate, but I can't say I'm surprised. Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.

    The comments on that video are a cringefest. "Oh no, arcades are closing, it's so sad." Well if it isn't profitable then it won't remain in operation, and your nostalgia isn't paying their bills. I'm not sure what people were expecting. You can't stay at home playing MAME, only to then wonder where all the arcades went. Just be happy that those places existed in the first place, and move on with your life.

  5. #5
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    9,703
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    If you watch the video, you can clearly see that the games they were offering, mostly could not be played at home. They were using touch interfaces and other means to create a unique style of gameplay. This looks more like the effects of lockdowns from Covid taking their toll on yet another business. Iíve seen entire businesses go to online only, because they were forced to shut down their B&M operations during the lockdowns.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  6. #6
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,382
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Well that's unfortunate, but I can't say I'm surprised. Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.

    The comments on that video are a cringefest. "Oh no, arcades are closing, it's so sad." Well if it isn't profitable then it won't remain in operation, and your nostalgia isn't paying their bills. I'm not sure what people were expecting. You can't stay at home playing MAME, only to then wonder where all the arcades went. Just be happy that those places existed in the first place, and move on with your life.
    None of that really applies to Japanese arcades, which evolved long ago to not be appealing to most foreigners. Most of the current arcade games are not really accessible to casual play. You have to buy an IC card to even play most of them. There are a lot of super-complex trading card-based strategy games and rhythm games (both of which you can see in the video), and the #1 seller is still the UFO catchers (crane games).

    Sega recently sold its arcade management business, though, and I think this is just a side-effect of that.

  7. #7
    WCPO Agent Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    941
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    None of that really applies to Japanese arcades, which evolved long ago to not be appealing to most foreigners. Most of the current arcade games are not really accessible to casual play.

    I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't understand your point. I mentioned that filthy foreigners never spend money in Japanese arcades, but you seem to think my point is invalid despite the fact that you've basically corroborated it.

  8. #8
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,325
    Rep Power
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't understand your point. I mentioned that filthy foreigners never spend money in Japanese arcades, but you seem to think my point is invalid despite the fact that you've basically corroborated it.
    Please, tell us more about how the filthy gaijins have personally slighted you.

  9. #9
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,382
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't understand your point. I mentioned that filthy foreigners never spend money in Japanese arcades, but you seem to think my point is invalid despite the fact that you've basically corroborated it.
    Just pointing out that the arcade scene is still alive in Japan and has evolved beyond whatever people have nostalgia for. You seem to be under the impression that arcades are closing because they aren't profitable. It's not clear that's the case here. Sega still operates hundreds of arcades in Japan, although they recently decided to get out of the operation business.

  10. #10
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Well, some of us gaijins do spend money in Japanese arcades... or at least we did, prior to Covid. It would not surprise me if that's one reason these places are shutting down, without tourism Japanese businesses have to be losing a ton of money these past two years.

  11. #11
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,578
    Rep Power
    71

    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •