Quantcast

Thread: Sega Ikebukuro GiGO arcade is closing

Hero of Algol

Sad Sega Ikebukuro GiGO arcade is closing

05/05/15

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Was it just a matter of time thing, or did the Covid restrictions cause the closure?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Well that's unfortunate, but I can't say I'm surprised. Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.

The comments on that video are a cringefest. "Oh no, arcades are closing, it's so sad." Well if it isn't profitable then it won't remain in operation, and your nostalgia isn't paying their bills. I'm not sure what people were expecting. You can't stay at home playing MAME, only to then wonder where all the arcades went. Just be happy that those places existed in the first place, and move on with your life.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

If you watch the video, you can clearly see that the games they were offering, mostly could not be played at home. They were using touch interfaces and other means to create a unique style of gameplay. This looks more like the effects of lockdowns from Covid taking their toll on yet another business. Iíve seen entire businesses go to online only, because they were forced to shut down their B&M operations during the lockdowns.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Well that's unfortunate, but I can't say I'm surprised. Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.

The comments on that video are a cringefest. "Oh no, arcades are closing, it's so sad." Well if it isn't profitable then it won't remain in operation, and your nostalgia isn't paying their bills. I'm not sure what people were expecting. You can't stay at home playing MAME, only to then wonder where all the arcades went. Just be happy that those places existed in the first place, and move on with your life.
    None of that really applies to Japanese arcades, which evolved long ago to not be appealing to most foreigners. Most of the current arcade games are not really accessible to casual play. You have to buy an IC card to even play most of them. There are a lot of super-complex trading card-based strategy games and rhythm games (both of which you can see in the video), and the #1 seller is still the UFO catchers (crane games).

Sega recently sold its arcade management business, though, and I think this is just a side-effect of that.

Japanese arcades can't just stay in business to satisfy the nostalgia of a few filthy foreigners who are never going to spend money there anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    None of that really applies to Japanese arcades, which evolved long ago to not be appealing to most foreigners. Most of the current arcade games are not really accessible to casual play.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't understand your point. I mentioned that filthy foreigners never spend money in Japanese arcades, but you seem to think my point is invalid despite the fact that you've basically corroborated it.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't understand your point. I mentioned that filthy foreigners never spend money in Japanese arcades, but you seem to think my point is invalid despite the fact that you've basically corroborated it.
    Please, tell us more about how the filthy gaijins have personally slighted you.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Just pointing out that the arcade scene is still alive in Japan and has evolved beyond whatever people have nostalgia for. You seem to be under the impression that arcades are closing because they aren't profitable. It's not clear that's the case here. Sega still operates hundreds of arcades in Japan, although they recently decided to get out of the operation business.

Master of Shinobi

Well, some of us gaijins do spend money in Japanese arcades... or at least we did, prior to Covid. It would not surprise me if that's one reason these places are shutting down, without tourism Japanese businesses have to be losing a ton of money these past two years.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information