Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecco CD Undercaves Track Question/Request

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Media Ecco CD Undercaves Track Question/Request

An odd one this: I ripped the game's soundtrack from my PAL copy of the game a few months back, and I've had someone highlight something that has stumped me - it appears track 6, Dark Water/The Undercaves is shorter than it should be.

On my copy it's 3:43. According to most Youtube video rips of the soundtrack (and Sega Retro), the track is meant to be 5:27. So the shorter track I have appears to jump in mid-way through. I found another soundtrack video and it matches my own, same length that I have. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzdShv9Rfv4

So IDK, what's happening here? Are loads of people incorrect or were there more than one pressings of the game with a short version of the track and one with the longer version? Or is this a region thing? Or are people getting their rips from an album release and getting it confused?

I need help here, so can someone/people please look at their copies (PAL or otherwise) and look and see how long the track is on their game and report back their findings for me? You'd be doing me a major solid. Cheers and thank you very much for reading.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I can definitely check my copy later on. It's interesting and variations certainly could be regional possibly, or it might be a longer album version, like you suggested, because there was at least one music album that was simply a collection of Ecco's CD tracks: "Songs of Time." So it would be easy to imagine that it might have a longer version, maybe.

Off the top of my head, I think the different regions of Ecco CD 1 and 2, are generally considered to have the same content, even the later JP version was essentially the same content too, but with JP language as the only real difference, AFAIK. (As the JP cart actually had a few more gameplay updates, more than the JP CD version.)

Oh plus: Ecco PC had the Sega CD soundtrack and it would also be a possible place for a longer song-variation.

It would be nice to figure out what variation there is, for that song.

Last edited by Ecco; 09-26-2021 at 11:51 AM.

I have the USA version, I can check that one no issues. I've always wondered was the Q sound kept in the Pal versions since I can't recall seeing any Q logos on the Pal versions
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

On my NTSC original it's 5:22
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Repped the both of you. Thank you.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Here's mine - it's from a BIN/CUE I ripped from my purchased NTSC1 Sega CD disc, mounted in a virtual drive and read by Sony Media Go. It shows the longer duration you specified.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much Cleeg. Yeah, it's starting to look like the European version is the one affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    On my NTSC original it's 5:22
    Ok yes, mine too. Track 6 is 5:22. Plus it seems that thereís an intentional pause of dead-time before the next track, for 3 seconds... So it must be why the original post mentioned 5:27, though that seems an extra 2 seconds there, so I donít know exactly why. Maybe ripping the disc added 2 secondsí gap, extra? Idk.

However it seems clear that itís 5:22, plus 3 secondsí gap, etc.

I donít know why other copies would have a smaller song though, as the shorter track 6 seems clear that itís just starting from a later point in the same track...

Maybe a regional difference that hasnít really been noticed before? It would probably be easy to see if someone just directly compared the different versions.

Iíd guess that the content is same but maybe just an extra song starting point... like maybe if you die, on the stage, you might restart with the later point of the song, maybe?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

So mine is 5m 38s... I'll dig out my actual disc when I can and see what's what with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Ok yes, mine too. Track 6 is 5:22. Plus it seems that thereís an intentional pause of dead-time before the next track, for 3 seconds... So it must be why the original post mentioned 5:27, though that seems an extra 2 seconds there, so I donít know exactly why. Maybe ripping the disc added 2 secondsí gap, extra? Idk.

However it seems clear that itís 5:22, plus 3 secondsí gap, etc.

I donít know why other copies would have a smaller song though, as the shorter track 6 seems clear that itís just starting from a later point in the same track...

Maybe a regional difference that hasnít really been noticed before? It would probably be easy to see if someone just directly compared the different versions.

Iíd guess that the content is same but maybe just an extra song starting point... like maybe if you die, on the stage, you might restart with the later point of the song, maybe?
    I'm just going off my NTSC original that I bought on launch day in the USA

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I just checked the Japanese Mega-CD version. Length there is 05:26
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    So mine is 5m 38s... I'll dig out my actual disc when I can and see what's what with that...
    See this is still curious for being slightly longer than the 5:22 track of the US version, apparently.

So... has it never happened that the different versions were simply all ripped & uploaded & compared to each other, ever before?

This seems like a simple thing which might have just never happened?

Itís amazing to think about Sonic music being analyzed to death for all these years lol; Ecco has always been a more quiet series, more in the background, whereas Sonic had the actual mass appeal for the world...
    Last edited by Ecco; 10-04-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I'm just going off my NTSC original that I bought on launch day in the USA

Cool, yeah I have the US version too. Nice photo, the rough wooden table makes the game and box look beautiful. I think Boris Vallejo really shines with the painting of the 1st Ecco game, and IIRC the Sega CD box shows the painting better than the Genesis box.

Tides of Time painting is good but imo the 1st painting is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Cool, yeah I have the US version too. Nice photo, the rough wooden table makes the game and box look beautiful. I think Boris Vallejo really shines with the painting of the 1st Ecco game, and IIRC the Sega CD box shows the painting better than the Genesis box.

Tides of Time painting is good but imo the 1st painting is the best.
    That's my laminate flooring . I was on Holiday in California in (July of 93 I think it was) not long after it launched in the USA and I picked it up and a load of other Sega CD games in that shopping place in San Francisco, the one with the spiral escalator
    I remember being so excited to play the game when I got home due to the buzz over Q Sound. I took ages to get my Hi-Fi speakers level and sitting point right like in the manual and then played the game and at the start didn't hear any difference but when you hear Lonesome Search music it was utterly amazing and my room with filled with sound from just 2 speakers . I just wished the game used the Mega CD's memory to save games and was made a little easier

Boris Vallejo artwork was always awesome, his Star Control cover art is one of my fav game covers off all time Ecco was nice too

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 10-05-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I always wondered about Q-sound, because I'd see it advertised with Ecco CD and Sonic CD. I don't think it's ever 100% clear, how "real" it is, or not... but I always figured that what really matters is the quality of the soundtrack itself, more than anything. (And it's top-quality for Sonic CD and the two Ecco CD games.)

So I still wonder about Q-sound a bit, lol. It obviously didn't really catch on, at least as a specific brand.

However, I can at least kinda tell what they were going for, at times. Like Ecco's songs will have occasional distant-sounding noises, like dolphin cries, or bird sounds, or wind chimes, etc. Which at least sound distant, so they give an impression of a geographic distance. (Not sure if it sounds "3D" or not, lol. But there is a convincing sense of distance, at least.)

I've actually been listening to the 1st Sega CD Ecco game, in my car, so it sounds wonderful, but it's 4 speakers surrounding me, instead of 2 speakers, which was really the original idea of Q-sound, that it would only use 2 speakers to fill the room with 3D sound...

And so with really only 2 speakers, I imagine that the overall sound quality... would mostly come down to the quality of the set-up, like if you were using the 2 speakers built-into your TV set, it might sound completely different from using a full size stereo with 2 speakers.

So I'm having trouble imagining someone actually getting any sense of 3D sound, by playing Ecco CD, through their CRT TV, and using only the built-in speakers on the bottom of their TV set... I haven't really specifically tested this, but it's just hard to imagine that the "3D" aspect could really work, on the most minimal set-up? I wonder...

Thread Information