Quantcast

Thread: Hands-On: Shenmue III

Opa-Opa Hands-On: Shenmue III

It took almost 20 years, but the third entry in Yu Suzuki's magnum opus finally arrived. Was it worth the wait? Did it answer all of our questions? The answer to both questions is mixed, and where Shenmue III improves upon its predecessors' faults, it conjures up some confounding new ones. Read our hands-on for more details.

Wildside Expert

I know the Shenmue games are slow paced anyway, but I found this glacial. Disappointing, being the third entry I would have thought the game would pick up some steam and pace.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

My biggest complaints are (1) the fighting was downgraded so much. Even the final battle crossing the bridge and fighting all those guys was not difficult. And the final bosses were handled via memorized QTE's!
    (2) The story was indeed glacial in its pacing for a Part 3. Yu should have resolved it.

Other lesser complaints were lack of classic SEGA games (or any games worth playing), and the eating / food purchase mechanism. Too much eating!

I still loved playing most of Shenmue III however. I liked Shenhua. When she finally gave the evil eye to the one jerk and taught him a lesson (not shown on-screen however), I loved that.

There must have been a tremendous amount of resources at Yu's disposal for the first 2 Dreamcast games, as they are an order of magnitude more complex than S3.

I played the 1st one for an hour didn't get anywhere, turned it off never again.

If you have the PS4 version, try playing it on a PS5. The framerate is increased considerably and it runs at 60fps most of the time.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I love Shenmue 1 forever and ever. Shenmue III is just garbage. It makes a colonoscopy seem fun by comparison. Why did they put in a dwindling health mechanic? Previous games didn't. It has such a slow start even by Shenmue standards. The game felt soulless.I never plan to finish it nor back a Shenmue 4 should that happen.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Shenmue III was similar to the first game in the sense that it's mostly about taking time and (initially) getting to know the people in Shenhua's community, and their relationships with each other. It's a bit voyeuristic in a way, but as you begin to piece together the backstories of the village residents, that's where you see that it's an experience of quiet depth rather than the story surging forward from one plot point to another. Ryo is in training, and if this was a movie, the entirety of this time would usually be glossed over with a montage. Within the scope of the series, we saw that Shenmue II was more oriented to action and plot advancement, and the same can be expected of IV. From my observations the players who rushed through it as fast as possible haven't like it as much as the players who take it slow and play about one or two in-game days per real day. Personally I played it one day per day, and I thought it was kind of amazing how detailed the game really is.

Thread Information