Quantcast

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: DOOM 32X Resurrection

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    As long as it didn't run as slow as the Jaguar version, which was a PowerPoint slideshow, I'd love to play it.
    'Cause most of the game runs on the Jaguar's 68000. The 32X can do much better than that.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Please, which system/emulator you're running it on?
    If you give a bit more info, I can try to reproduce it.
    >Emulator
    Mega Everdrive, firmware version 6, OS version 8. It spins the disc up upon loading the game, but doesn't allow selecting CD during play. The SCD plays the disc fine in its CD player, and the CD reads fine in Resurrection version 1.3something.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    >Emulator
    Mega Everdrive, firmware version 6, OS version 8. It spins the disc up upon loading the game, but doesn't allow selecting CD during play. The SCD plays the disc fine in its CD player, and the CD reads fine in Resurrection version 1.3something.
    Thanks a lot.
    I'll try to reproduce it and I'll keep you posted.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Appreciated. The lens has recently been cleaned, and I typically burn discs at low speed for older systems (SCD, 3DO).
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

In the long list of entries in "Gaming magazines just completely making shit up":

GamePlayers vol. 7 #10, Oct. 1994.

I'm pretty sure the only accurate point in that entire paragraph is that Virtua Fighter did indeed debut on the Saturn in November in Japan.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    In the long list of entries in "Gaming magazines just completely making shit up":

GamePlayers vol. 7 #10, Oct. 1994.

I'm pretty sure the only accurate point in that entire paragraph is that Virtua Fighter did indeed debut on the Saturn in November in Japan.
    LOL. Why do people make this stuff up. But in a way I guess there is an element of truth, 32X Doom usually did have bigger characters than the DOS version, since TVs are generally larger than computer monitors.

Master of Shinobi

It could also be that composite dithering makes the graphics look more detailed than they really are.
    Or, they just had one developer or someone say that they are going to make it look bigger, and then this was told to the journos and everyone copied from everyone saying that it will look bigger.
    Or that Wolfenstein 3d on 3do indeed used better resolution graphics, so they thought Doom would get the same treatment because logically it is also a newer version.
    It's also possible that the 32x version did run in a higher window and with better framerate than on the average PC of the time.

All sorts of conceivable reasons why they'd report that. They couldn't just log on to discord to the developers channel and ask them (and even that isn't 100% because the devs may intend something but then change their plan for other reasons).

The Virtua Fighter thing is more interesting, perhaps they canned it at some point but decided to do it anyway later on. We know it was a late title for the 32x (and a mighty impressive port at that), and that SOA apparently insisted on it.
    Could be that it wasn't even planned until later on, but the magazine thought it would be launched and went off based on that info.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

You're overthinking it. Magazines were notorious for making up all kinds of shit. I mean, Star Wars Arcade came out in arcades in 1993... there's no conceivable way they had a legitimate lead that the arcade version was running on a 32X.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    It's also possible that the 32x version did run in a higher window and with better framerate than on the average PC of the time.
    By late 1994, no, even a 486DX2 runs rings around a 32X and the Pentium was already out by this time. 32X Doom (original) is closer to a 386 with a VGA card. Which was still pretty impressive considering multimedia PCs were usually well over $1000.
    Last edited by axel; 05-13-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    >Emulator
    Version 2.0 is the first one I can actually play on real hardware (EPROM). I can't switch to CD audio either though, even though Sega CD is detected and disc starts spinning.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Default MegaSD cart is required for CDDA audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Past View Post
    Version 2.0 is the first one I can actually play on real hardware (EPROM). I can't switch to CD audio either though, even though Sega CD is detected and disc starts spinning.
    Prior versions do work from eprom. Not sure why your setup had a problem.
    CD audio only works with the MEGA SD cartridge and that's a real bummer.
    The limitation is bulleted near the bottom.
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by erexx View Post
    Prior versions do work from eprom. Not sure why your setup had a problem.
    CD audio only works with the MEGA SD cartridge and that's a real bummer.
    The limitation is bulleted near the bottom.
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/
    Hi!

I think it would be helpful if I clarified a few things:
    - Audio CD support (using the Sega CD's so-called "mode 1" feature) has been introduced by a previous version and was supposed to be working but a bug was introduced in v2.0 and broke this feature.
    It will be fixed in the next release. In fact, Vic has already fixed it in the master branch of the project.
    I own a MegaSD but I also own an old Everdrive MD v2.5 and Audio CD is working fine again with a Sega CD attached using the WIP builds I'm testing.

- The 32X+ feature, which allows you to use CDDA tracks without having a Sega CD and also without having to burn a CD is a MegaSD exclusive feature as TerraOnion recently extended the MD+ feature support for the 32X.

- The introduction of the 32X+ support didn't disable regular Audio CD support via Sega CD or something like that; the regular Audio CD feature is broken by a v2.0 bug that has already been fixed and everything should be fine in the next release.

- MegaSD is NOT required for CDDA support. Only for the 32X+ feature, which is a different thing.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and, please, stay tuned for the upcoming release.

New vídeo from SLX

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    If you meant Atari Jaguar's AvP, for sure. Doom is far more complex than that on many aspects.
    The transparent HUD and the coloring would be a pain though.
    Yeah, level design/engine wise, AVP is like Wolfenstein 3D with higher res textures/sprites and textured ceilings/floors. And even compared to that old game there are some regressions such as slower speed/frame rate and shorter draw distance.

For these reasons i never understood why this game was chosen as the "killer app". DOOM on the same console does more.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    By late 1994, no, even a 486DX2 runs rings around a 32X and the Pentium was already out by this time. 32X Doom (original) is closer to a 386 with a VGA card. Which was still pretty impressive considering multimedia PCs were usually well over $1000.
    Evidently though, the 32X seems to handle DOOM much better than a 386. Especially the resurrection mod.

But even the original, rushed port, would run DOOM at a better speed, even if you used low detail and the same sized window on the 386. I remember playing DOOM on a friend's 386 (though i have no idea which exact model that was) and in some parts the frame rate would drop below 5 fps even at low detail + a window as big as a stamp. It was unplayable. It was probably a slower SX but in some YouTube videos i see DOOM struggling hard even on a DX/40.
    Last edited by Soulis; 06-10-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    Evidently though, the 32X seems to handle DOOM much better than a 386. Especially the resurrection mod.

But even the original, rushed port, would run DOOM at a better speed, even if you used low detail and the same sized window on the 386. I remember playing DOOM on a friend's 386 (though i have no idea which exact model that was) and in some parts the frame rate would drop below 5 fps even at low detail + a window as big as a stamp. It was unplayable. It was probably a slower SX but in some YouTube videos i see DOOM struggling hard even on a DX/40.
    On those slower systems it really seems to depend on the video card. If you have an ISA card installed Doom is a literal slideshow. If you have an EISA card or better yet VLB (admittedly rare on a 386) the performance gets a lot better. I wish I still had my old 386DX/40 to test. I think it got about 20 fps in low detail mode. It probably was a bit worse than the original 32X game.
    Last edited by axel; 06-10-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Information