Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: DOOM 32X Resurrection

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    I'm quoting my own post to correct myself. 32X DOOM is actually smoother than 20fps on average. It stays at 30fps most of the time to be frank. And i don't think it drops below 20fps, except maybe some very intense scenarios in Ultra Violence?
    If you're referring to the 1994 release of Doom for the 32X, I believe you can only get those numbers with emulation.
    32X emulators are *really* inaccurate and tend to boost the performance of the games quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I just tested on my Model 2 Genesis with a Model 2 CD and it works fine as well. My 32X is actually one of the earlier ones with a buggy SH-2 so it's had quite a bit of trouble running this in the past. However since Vic tracked down the issue it hasn't had a problem since.
    Thanks a lot for testing and reporting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Assault9 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Barone. I don't see any of the opening animation as the screen is completely black from the time I turn the system on.

I'm pretty sure the model 2 Genesis is a VA4 revision. However, I swapped the 32X to my Model 1 HDG Genesis that's been modded for S-Video, Region Free and full cap replacement and it had the exact same issue as the model 2 which could mean my 32X might be the real culprit here. I just wish that 32X adaptor for the Mega SG had come out so I could test it out on that system to be sure. I'll have to look at those adapter cables from the UK or invest in a new 32X to see if that might clear up the issue.

Update - I just tested pausing the game and hitting the Mode button several times as you suggested and the debug information such as the FPS counter and other numbers did appear.
    Thanks a lot for all the tests and info.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-16-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

How does your s-video mod work?

For the 32X to work properly, you have to have your MD video plugged into the 32x so that the latter could mix the layers. If your MD doesn't output proper RGB or it's not plugged into the 32X, or 32X video output isn't hooked up to your TV, then you're not going to see one of the layers, which is precisely what's happening in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Well, it depends on what settings you're running. If you run full screen in high detail mode the 32X hovers around 15-20fps. Now if you're in full screen low detail mode it pretty much stays at 30fps with only a few dips it seems.
    Yeah, i'm talking about the official version that doesn't have full screen and high detail mode. But even if you use the same sized screen and low detail mode on a 386, it will still run much slower. Of course, we established that the PC version is a bit more complex so the 386 has more to do. But Resurrection also proves the 32X could do much more than what it does with the official DOOM release.

My point is that the 32X seems more powerful than a 386DX/40 PC. I mean, there are other games that prove that too, for instance i don't think there's a flat shaded 3D polygonal game on a 386 PC that can do as much as Virtua Racing Deluxe does and run as fast.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

How well does Descent run on a 386 machine? That game has texture mapped polygons.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by viciious View Post
    How does your s-video mod work?

For the 32X to work properly, you have to have your MD video plugged into the 32x so that the latter could mix the layers. If your MD doesn't output proper RGB or it's not plugged into the 32X, or 32X video output isn't hooked up to your TV, then you're not going to see one of the layers, which is precisely what's happening in your case.
    Both the Genesis model 2 and 32X were sent out about five or six years ago to be modded for S-Video so I don't recall the exact details of what was done. I did hook up the 32X to the Genesis model 1 and swapped out the S-Video cable for composite video and did get some video image. It was wavy, blurry and unplayable with plenty of color bleed like some bad LSD trip, but the Doom logo did appear briefly. After that I hooked up the 32X to a stock CDX with composite and had the same issue as the Genesis model 1, so it appears that the S-Video mod of the 32X is what is causing the issue. It works perfectly fine with the whole NTSC library of games, but something in there is interfering with the layering. I've ordered another 32X which should arrive over the weekend and will test that with both Genesis models and the CDX and see what happens.
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

なん イギリス で crossover system?

Quote Originally Posted by Assault9 View Post
    Both the Genesis model 2 and 32X were sent out about five or six years ago to be modded for S-Video so I don't recall the exact details of what was done. I did hook up the 32X to the Genesis model 1 and swapped out the S-Video cable for composite video and did get some video image. It was wavy, blurry and unplayable with plenty of color bleed like some bad LSD trip, but the Doom logo did appear briefly. After that I hooked up the 32X to a stock CDX with composite and had the same issue as the Genesis model 1, so it appears that the S-Video mod of the 32X is what is causing the issue. It works perfectly fine with the whole NTSC library of games, but something in there is interfering with the layering. I've ordered another 32X which should arrive over the weekend and will test that with both Genesis models and the CDX and see what happens.
    Surprised you even had any image from composite output from the 32x. In most cases you have to kill the composite output in order to get clear s-video output from the 32x. I had a client that wanted me to keep it intact and I wired in a switch to turn it on/off but just the wires connected up were enough to cause image blurring in the s-video output so in the end he opted to have me just disable it and install a plug where I had already drilled the hole for his toggle switch at that time. On my spare test 32x, I actually wired it for s-video output ONLY so it requires having to use either the SegaCD RCA outputs or the RCAs I added to my Genesis itself in order to get all audio to work. But for a quick and easy way to get s-video output from a Genesis, it works great in that regard.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    The same can be said about the textures. With 64x64 flats it doesn't really make sense to play it at an internal resolution higher than 640 x 480 (or actually 640 x 400) IMHO.
    The texture resolution, the texture complexity, the geometry complexity, the palette "resolution", the number of shading levels, and the Monitor/TV native resolution and their definition (which is a separate thing for CRTs) are supposed to go hand in hand.

Several of the original PC Doom textures look like a noisy mess when imported to the old console ports running at 160px wide (doubling pixels horizontally). At 160px wide, you simply don't have enough horizontal resolution to visually describe those textures properly.
    OTOH, 64x64 flats with heavy filtering and blown up to 4K also look like crap.
    Yes that's true. 64x64 is really optimized for 240p. Beyond that things get messy if you're close to the texture. Playing Doom source ports in high def is still kind of cool though. You can see much further ahead so I use different strategies on some of the bigger maps, especially in Doom II.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but on Linux Tech tips Doom Ressurection was cited as one of the best reasons for you use rom hack from the community.
    That was a cool video and I'm happy to see Doom Resurrection get promoted in there. I've done the same thing by dumping every game I own, now I play almost everything on my HTPC (the exceptions being DS and 3DS games that wouldn't transfer well to TV). I figure most of my carts and optical readers will fail within the next 10 to 15 years. Fortunately my collection is pretty small, only around 5 TB. Unlike the guys in video however I'm not at all optimistic that this is totally legal under current copyright law - which is why I don't post videos like theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    Yeah, i'm talking about the official version that doesn't have full screen and high detail mode. But even if you use the same sized screen and low detail mode on a 386, it will still run much slower. Of course, we established that the PC version is a bit more complex so the 386 has more to do. But Resurrection also proves the 32X could do much more than what it does with the official DOOM release.

My point is that the 32X seems more powerful than a 386DX/40 PC. I mean, there are other games that prove that too, for instance i don't think there's a flat shaded 3D polygonal game on a 386 PC that can do as much as Virtua Racing Deluxe does and run as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    How well does Descent run on a 386 machine? That game has texture mapped polygons.
    This thread makes me wish I'd held on to my 386 and 486 systems, as well as a box of video cards to test these scenarios. The SH-2s should be significantly faster at some tasks because it's a more efficient architecture, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone directly compare a 386 to an SH-2 in any benchmark. Would a game like Descent be able to take advantage of a 387 co-processor for floating point math? Without that I can't imagine it running well if at all.

Basically I'd like to see what level of PC performance is matched by Doom Resurrection and then look at what such a PC would cost in late 1994. I bet it would come out very favorable to the 32X.

Thread Information