Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 71

Thread: DOOM 32X Resurrection

  1. #16
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Id doesn't license Doom 1 content out I believe, and on top Jag Doom source is under a non-commercial license. So no chance of a legal cart release at least. If the Doom sources had been GPL, a cart release could have used one of the free total conversion mods.

    Re RoQ, it's basically tweaked Cinepak and so not very impressive or useful...

  2. #17
    16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,446
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Re RoQ, it's basically tweaked Cinepak and so not very impressive or useful...
    There are very few video codec github projects for the 32x with PWM sound that I can casually download and use on on my 32x. I'll take what I can get!


  3. #18
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Wow! This turned out really nice. I always felt the 32X was capable of more than we got from the official Sega port. Really nice job!

  4. #19
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,337
    Rep Power
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Re RoQ, it's basically tweaked Cinepak and so not very impressive or useful...
    Cinepak is a fine codec for the era. If you can balance the bitrate budget well with it you can actually get very nice results:




  5. #20
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,595
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Cinepak is a fine codec for the era. If you can balance the bitrate budget well with it you can actually get very nice results:




    I quite agree. I take it because Cinepak was entirely a software based solution that you had updates or maybe even custom updates or make custom changes due to a particular game , much like with Softdec on the DC. I remember the Sonic Team saying CRI made custom updates to the Sonic Adv FMV resolution for certain parts ...

    They was a massive increase in the quality of Cinpak FMV in many Saturn games a year or so after launch, almost every bit as impressive as PS FMV . I mean Silhouette Mirage Saturn FMV is of the highest quality.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  6. #21
    16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,446
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Vic now has a buy me a coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/vluchitz


    While I know Vic did Doom purely for fun. I think its worth chipping in to motivate him to do more work with the 32x. We really don't have that many devs willing to spend the amount of time and effort he has on the system.


  7. #22
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,337
    Rep Power
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I quite agree. I take it because Cinepak was entirely a software based solution that you had updates or maybe even custom updates or make custom changes due to a particular game , much like with Softdec on the DC. I remember the Sonic Team saying CRI made custom updates to the Sonic Adv FMV resolution for certain parts ...

    They was a massive increase in the quality of Cinpak FMV in many Saturn games a year or so after launch, almost every bit as impressive as PS FMV . I mean Silhouette Mirage Saturn FMV is of the highest quality.
    As I've said before the change in quality over time is more just developers learning how to encode things better. The tools that do the actual encoding are just Quicktime and Adobe Premiere. If you want Cinepak to look good, you need to balance the bitrate budget. The only really major thing that happened later was developers using compressed audio to free up more bitrate for the video. Silhouette Mirage is not one of those last I checked, it's just standard Cinepak with uncompressed PCM audio.

    There were no custom updates or custom variants to the codec to improve playback quality. All that really happened over time were bug fixes to certain edge cases in the playback code. The only really major improvement was in FILM 1.09 where they added ADX Compression support for audio.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 10-23-2021 at 02:17 PM.

  8. #23
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,164
    Rep Power
    193

    Default

    For anyone wondering, this is how it sounds using a real hardware setup with lots of bass:


    It actually sounds better than this since I captured it using my phone.

  9. #24
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,595
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    As I've said before the change in quality over time is more just developers learning how to encode things better. The tools that do the actual encoding are just Quicktime and Adobe Premiere. If you want Cinepak to look good, you need to balance the bitrate budget. The only really major thing that happened later was developers using compressed audio to free up more bitrate for the video. Silhouette Mirage is not one of those last I checked, it's just standard Cinepak with uncompressed PCM audio.

    There were no custom updates or custom variants to the codec to improve playback quality. All that really happened over time were bug fixes to certain edge cases in the playback code. The only really major improvement was in FILM 1.09 where they added ADX Compression support for audio.
    It's like with any work the more to do it the better you become at it. I would just assume because it was a software codec it would/could have been updated and improved just like with any software based middleware. I just wonder as well if a developer could have requested changes to the middleware for a certain game, like how the Sonic Team requested Sonic Adv FMV doubled the vertical resolution for a reason which escapes me.

    After a lame start, Saturn lovely high quality FMV going right up there with the PS FMV. I remember when I had the import Saturn of Biohazard /RE and put it and one of my mates said, I thought you were putting on the Saturn version, he was that impressed with the FMV (and that's true)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  10. #25
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    As someone who played the original 32X Doom way too much out of necessity, the difference in graphics and sound is incredible.

    I wonder how it compares to the Jag version.

  11. #26
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,292
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Wow, this makes the 32X look as good as a 486 PC. Always knew the 32X deserved better than what it got.

  12. #27
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,164
    Rep Power
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I wonder how it compares to the Jag version.
    Aside from the better color gradients (especially thanks to Jaguar's CRY 16-bit color mode, which fits a game like Doom very well), most/all the other aspects are far superior in this new 32X version for what I've tested.

    The biggest difference is in sound. Jaguar Doom's sfx are mono and there's no in-game music.
    Doom 32X Resurrection has stereo sfx (I also believe there's use of envelope so unlike the Jaguar one, not all enemies' grunts will sound as if they were by your side when in fact they're distant) and a superb rendition of the original compositions now, also in stereo.

    The framerate is significantly better on this 32X version as well. Far higher and more consistent in crowded scenes too.
    And I believe the controller is also more responsive all the time.

    In terms of controller options, this one supports LR strafe; Jaguar's Doom only supports simple strafe so no circle strafing is possible in that version.
    Doom 32X Resurrection also supports mouse, the Jaguar version doesn't (there's no official mouse for the Jaguar either).
    Doom 32X Resurrection also added a very useful "always run" option.

    Doom 32X Resurrection also restored the Spectre demon from the original game and renders it as it should be.
    Jaguar's Doom doesn't have this monster.

    Doom 32X Resurrection also supports game saves which are better than the Jaguar version.

    Since 2 years ago or so there were some developers/hackers of the Jaguar community working on a Doom Redux/Doom Slayer Edition. That version hasn't been released to the public yet but it adds sampled in-game music, an improved save system and LR strafe; there's a demonstration o such version here:
    https://youtu.be/4z_-US-GBNA?t=338

    And here the WIP stuff they have mostly in terms of restoring textures and monsters from the original game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wA2fj5HDE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3CnYefZgyU

    In the Jaguar homebrew scene it's common to have games with 48 Mbit, I think it doesn't require a mapper. So they are going to expand it up until that from the original 32 Mbit cart.
    For Doom 32X Resurrection to add more improvements/content it will have to resort to a mapper and back switching, but then we could be looking at a 64 Mbit (or bigger) version of the game.


    But, even considering the improved Jaguar Doom hack, the framerate makes a lot of difference and so does the superb music and sfx quality of Doom 32X Resurrection.
    I honestly think that it will be hard for that team to improve its engine enough to put it on the same level of Doom 32X Resurrection in terms of gameplay experience.

    It will be interesting to see what happens next since surely this release might have caught their attention and Vic hasn't finished all that he had dreamed either.

    By the way, here's a proper real hardware comparison between the original 32X version and the new one:
    Last edited by Barone; 10-24-2021 at 11:30 PM.

  13. #28
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    "you must spread..." aw fuck it. Anyway another "advantage" is that the 32X is more widespread than the Jaguar, both in real hardware and emulation terms.

    I prefer the original 32X title screen though, though it's nitpicking. Also I wish all the 32X games that do only use half the CPU power (one SH1 instead of both), that is, most of the catalog, had their respective hacks (maybe just changing that, which seems no small task anyway)
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  14. #29
    16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,446
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    "you must spread..." aw fuck it. Anyway another "advantage" is that the 32X is more widespread than the Jaguar, both in real hardware and emulation terms.

    I prefer the original 32X title screen though, though it's nitpicking. Also I wish all the 32X games that do only use half the CPU power (one SH1 instead of both), that is, most of the catalog, had their respective hacks (maybe just changing that, which seems no small task anyway)
    Using both processors is unfortunately not as easy to do as you'd think. There are issues with both CPU's accessing the same memory registers, etc and Vic had to come up with a solution to resolve this. I think most avoided using the second SH2 just to get their games out on time Had we seen a second gen of 32x games I'm pretty sure most would have used it.


  15. #30
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,164
    Rep Power
    193

    Default

    And pretty much all the 2D games with performance issues on the 32X wouldn't really be improved by using both SH2s.
    In most cases it's bus contention issues.

    Now, I have no idea if something like Metal Head is using both SH2s or not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •