Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: DOOM 32X Resurrection

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

In case you ever implement bank switching and go over the 4MB limit, would you care to leave the last 4MB build as a Legacy version?
    Formerly known as -RT

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    In case you ever implement bank switching and go over the 4MB limit, would you care to leave the last 4MB build as a Legacy version?
    I'd rather not commit to anything at this stage.. We'll see how it goes.

I'm sure nobody here could recommend some.middleware?

Hero of Algol

So, uh:
    Code:
    Changes in v1.4:

Added splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
    Fixed sounds effects being in mono on real hardware.
    Memory and CPU optimizations.
    Changed 240p PAL mode to use letter-boxing instead of vertical stretching.
    Pressing START button during the finale screen restarts the game now.
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Probably the best use of the 32X hardware, ever.

If anyone here wants to support his work:
    https://www.buymeacoffee.com/vluchitz/c/2103252

Wildside Expert

Very nice update! I am a fan of your work here, and it only seems to get better each release.

I love the multiplayer support. I was skeptical of the side-by-side orientation as opposed to top-bottom like is done in Doom Legacy (I think... been many years, so correct me if I'm wrong). However, it actually works decently well. The one thing I felt was problematic with it is when I'm shooting, the pistol is more noticeably "in the way" so to speak. I'm not sure what could be done about that, if you slim it down somehow, or lower it even further. Or maybe we just live with it and accept that the view is smaller and this is one of the side-effects of that.

That said, I still wouldn't mind support for the top-bottom orientation, assuming it can be done without making things hard to see on a 320x224 screen.

The Mode+Start thing I mentioned the last time hasn't been addressed yet, but I'm hoping in a future update that will be possible. (I don't want the fist if I have a chainsaw!) I didn't check any of the other things I posted before, but I assume they're the same.

The only other thing I'll mention is that I noticed I was removed from the credits. I assumed the 24 level expansion maps I converted using my converter from 2009/2010 over was the reason I was credited, which frankly is how virtually all these DOOM hacks were created, but rarely give credit. Is that no longer the case here? I understand this is a rebuild from source rather than a ROM hack, so I see how my work could possibly have played no tangible role here. But given the credit was there and now it's not, I'm not entirely sure I understand.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    The one thing I felt was problematic with it is when I'm shooting, the pistol is more noticeably "in the way" so to speak. I'm not sure what could be done about that, if you slim it down somehow, or lower it even further. Or maybe we just live with it and accept that the view is smaller and this is one of the side-effects of that.
    Well, I'm not speaking on Victor's behalf but I'll share my perspective on this.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think what could be done with the current assets (which can't really be duplicated since there's pretty much no ROM space left) is already there.
    The pre-release version of this build had the weapon graphics identical to the single player mode and then it was really "in the way". But then Victor found a way to extensively mitigate it and now it's pretty similar to what GBA Doom did to work around the limited res.
    I find it pretty playable now, even on Nightmare! difficulty.
    Victor also went the extra mile by allowing the vertical stretch so you make use of pretty much all the screen space you have available. As a side note, if you set the vertical stretch to the max and then set the screen to 16:9, the viewport will look close to normal in terms of aspect.

Still, it's a split screen mode, so it surely will be compromised.

There are two undeniable compromises here: smaller viewport for each player and lower resolution.

About the resolution there really isn't much else to be done but I'd add that for a more comfortable experience, the split-screen requires a bigger TV/Monitor. If you're using a 20-inch screen (not saying that this is your case, I'm just illustrating my point), then it's the screen that's not suitable for split-screen modes and there's not much that can be done about that other than switching to a bigger/better screen.

I'd also say that games such as GoldenEye 007 on the N64 (which wasn't just a $160 poor man's 5th gen add-on sitting on top of a 1988 4th gen console) had far more compromised split screen gameplay due to the full screen health bar, gigantic and slow non-translucent explosion effects, blurry video, iffy framerate and poor input response but people still loved it back then.
    Maybe we just were all more willing to accept such compromises in the past.
    Last edited by Barone; 11-16-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

For multiplayer, it's already using a niche device owned by few, what's lost by going Link Cable and having each player with their own TV + tower of power

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

The credit was removed as none of your work was actually used.. I originally gave you the credit since I originally was using your 24 level expansion patch to add the missing levels in private builds. Unbeknownst to me Wavy later re-exported all levels from GBADoom, thus elimiatting any traces of your your previous work, but the credit remained.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I'd also say that games such as GoldenEye 007 on the N64 (which wasn't just a $160 poor man's 5th gen add-on sitting on top of a 1988 4th gen console) had far more compromised split screen gameplay due to the full screen health bar, gigantic and slow non-translucent explosion effects, blurry video, iffy framerate and poor input response but people still loved it back then.
    Maybe we just were all more willing to accept such compromises in the past.
    Coincidentally I just came across this video the other day:

Goldeneye on original hardware was hovering around 15-20 fps in most areas. And that's in single player mode. So yes, the times have really changed.

But really, could you imagine having this new version of Doom replace the original 32X version at release? With co-op?! OK, I doubt it would have changed much in terms of the 32X's success, but it sure would have been impressive.

Would it be feasible to do four player multiplayer using the sega or EA multitaps for genesis? I guess the resolution per each player would be that much more crunched, but at the same time... that sort of feature would be really f*in nuts and no other system with similar capabilities would have anything close to that

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    But really, could you imagine having this new version of Doom replace the original 32X version at release? With co-op?! OK, I doubt it would have changed much in terms of the 32X's success, but it sure would have been impressive.
    I think it would have been a gamechanger if there had been 3-4 games of this quality at the 32X launch. This was an add-on that was immediately attacked as being a "band-aid" fix, or that it barely exceeded the capabilities of the SNES. A port of Doom with near PC quality and two player mode would have shown this was a true 5th generation upgrade at a low price point.

Thread Information