Quantcast

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DOOM 32X Resurrection

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    And pretty much all the 2D games with performance issues on the 32X wouldn't really be improved by using both SH2s.
    In most cases it's bus contention issues.

Now, I have no idea if something like Metal Head is using both SH2s or not.
    Now that is something I'd be interested to know! Vic discovered that the SH2s have divide units that run parallel to the rest of the CPU. Its handy to use as slower DSP for maths.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I honestly think the colour is better in the 32x version, the Jag version has always looked too dark compared to any other port, apparently this is to do with a bug in the jag hardware

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

And pretty much all the 2D games with performance issues on the 32X wouldn't really be improved by using both SH2s.
    Speaking of 2D, been following this work closely:
    http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/...php?f=4&t=3237
    AfterBurner does an interesting cheat. I never noticed that before.

Ob1 who also does 32x stuff did some bus contention tests. It would be interesting to see more information and tests on this.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Speaking of 2D, been following this work closely:
    http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/...php?f=4&t=3237
    AfterBurner does an interesting cheat. I never noticed that before.

Ob1 who also does 32x stuff did some bus contention tests. It would be interesting to see more information and tests on this.
    Thanks for linking that research and those test results. Very interesting indeed.
    I had noticed that the scaled sprites in AfterBurner Complete looked more grainy than normal but I thought that was due to RAM constraints or something. Rutubo Games surely knew their shit.

I don't know if they have analyzed the Pinocchio prototype yet, but I think that's the only 2D platformer on the system which handles all the sprites and the foreground with the 32X and runs at solid 60 fps. It also has a few raster effects implemented (water reflection and under water wobbling effect).

That's the same kind of setup (Foreground and Sprites->32X | Background layers, parallax, music, sfx and voice samples -> Mega Drive) that Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure used and failed miserably in terms of performance; and Pitfall doesn't implement any kind of raster effects on the foreground IIRC.
    In terms of animation framerate and total amount of animation frames, Pinocchio pushes more too. Pitfall sprites are a bit bigger/expand more from one frame to another (it was originally developed for the MD VDP while Pinocchio takes all the SNES sprite system constraints into account) and the levels are also more complex; but I think they're more or less in same ballpark, as it would be with The Lion King as well.

So Virgin certainly did something right that most developers at the time did wrong.
    By the way, all Pinocchio versions (SNES, GEN, 32X) were developed in parallel back in the first half of 1995 but then, for some reason, they delayed all of them to be released in 1996 and I think that's why the 32X version was never released despite the game being 98% complete or something.
    Last edited by Barone; 10-25-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Master of Shinobi

So Virgin certainly did something right that most developers at the time did wrong.
    Yeah, hiring David Perry VS not hiring David Perry.
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hero of Algol

Just to clarify: I wasn't referring to stuff like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game or Cosmic Carnage.
    I was referring to stuff like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure and those quick MD-to-32X ports, still accessing the ROM constantly and running part of the game code using the MD's 68000.
    Stuff that is not really pushing the boundaries of 2D graphics even by MD standards but run poorly on the 32X.
    Or just trash like Brutal Unleashed: Above the Claw.

I'm sure they could benefit from using a second SH2 in some capacity but that isn't the root cause of those issues to begin with IMHO.

Version 1.1 (and a little 1.1a update) is up. Make sure you check it out.

Changes in v1.1a:

Fixed chainsaw sounds.

Changes in v1.1:

Added E3M3 “Deep Into the Code” music track.
    Added support for dedicated strafe buttons (Y&Z or C&Z, Y for Use).
    Fixed double damage taken in lava and slime.
    Fixed powerups expiring at double rate.
    The ‘always run’ mode no longer toggles fast turning.
    Lost souls should now bounce off floors and ceilings (vanilla Doom bug).
    Draw map titles in menus.
    Navigation is menus should feel snappier now.
    Removed the framerate option from video settings.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Aside from the better color gradients (especially thanks to Jaguar's CRY 16-bit color mode, which fits a game like Doom very well), most/all the other aspects are far superior in this new 32X version for what I've tested.

Oh my. Why I can't never rep you when I rightfully want to.

By the way, here's a proper real hardware comparison between the original 32X version and the new one:
    This is great. Here's hoping someone eventually does a full dual longplay, even including the Jaguar levels expansion that was also done for the original 32X version.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Wildside Expert

I got to try this out for the first time. Of course it's very impressive in so many of the ways previously mentioned, I wanted to take the time to note a few issues and suggestions:

* Don't know if it's an emulator thing (using Kega), but the button response for menus is horrible. I can't even get the menu screen to pop up half the time when pressing Start.
    * Having to press A to advance through menus is very unintuitive. Most games do this with either the Start or C buttons. Maybe even the B button. But A is usually used to go *back*.
    * I notice that Mode+Start doesn't switch to weapon #1. Unless of course it's a keyboard mapping issue.
    * Is the Z elevation motion in doors and elevators supposed to stutter? I'm used to seeing it move more smoothly. Perhaps this is an optimization?
    * Why not offer an X/Z strafe option? I could see holding a Genesis controller in such a way that I could do that and still shoot.
    * It would be cool if the game could be patched with PWAD files.
    * Making a port of DOOM II would be pretty cool. Alternatively, support DOOM II level features would equally be nice (if you allow for custom levels).

I'm excited to see your continued progress on this. Great job to all!

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    * Don't know if it's an emulator thing (using Kega), but the button response for menus is horrible. I can't even get the menu screen to pop up half the time when pressing Start.
    I'm also having the same button response problems with Kega Fusion. At first I thought it was an issue with my controller, but if you are experiencing this too then it must be some sort of odd incompatibility.

It definitely doesn't happen in real hardware. The random problems that were happening also in real hardware with the area select menu seem to have vanished with the 1.1 update.

Hero of Algol

* Having to press A to advance through menus is very unintuitive. Most games do this with either the Start or C buttons. Maybe even the B button. But A is usually used to go *back*.
    I'll have to disagree here. At least partially.
    Start to activate/deactivate the menu is "default" for old FPS console games.
    A to Advance.
    B to go Back.
    That's not counter intuitive.
    C has been used both for Confirm or Cancel. So maybe adding that to confirm actions would make sense, yes. Then you'd use A or C to advance/confirm.

Is the Z elevation motion in doors and elevators supposed to stutter? I'm used to seeing it move more smoothly. Perhaps this is an optimization?
    Side effect of rendering optimizations I was told, present in some other versions as well.

* Making a port of DOOM II would be pretty cool. Alternatively, support DOOM II level features would equally be nice (if you allow for custom levels).
    I had asked a very similar question to Vic.
    Doom II maps are bigger in size (both map complexity and texture variation) so that would require a bigger cart than 32 Mbit, which implies the implementation of bank-switching.
    The hacks we've seen implementing Doom II maps and features are vastly incomplete due to those ROM limitations. Vic doesn't seem to want to do things that way nor does he seem to like the idea of breaking the game into several ROMs, one for each Episode.

And, actually, even the original Doom work is already limited by space constraints. We still don't have all the monsters, we still have cut down texture variability, we still lack one music track, etc.
    The logical next step seems to focus on implementing the bank-switch support so then the team working on it would be able to do a more complete Doom I port, then they could potentially move to a Doom II port and/or other things.
    At least, this is what I see and understand talking to Vic.

I'm having a blast with this port. Only thing I can say I would like is the option to map the LR strafing to the LR buttons on the 8bitdo controllers.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I'm having a blast with this port. Only thing I can say I would like is the option to map the LR strafing to the LR buttons on the 8bitdo controllers.
    That's what the ZC option does for you. Have you tried it already?

A little 1.1b update with more small fixes.

Changes in v1.1b:

Automap scaling isn’t reset on loading a save state anymore.
    Fixed an occasional Z_Free error in map selection menu.

Wildside Expert

Updated to v.1.2a

Changes in v1.2a:

Improved compatibility with SRAM saves on older Everdrive models.

Changes in v1.2:

Smooth 30FPS doors and platforms.
    The DOOM logo now scrolls during introduction sequence like it does in PSX version the game.
    Added XZ strafe mapping to options.
    Menu wasn’t visible in automap mode.
    Improved auditory cues in menus.
    Pressing MODE + START now switches to fist.
    Fixed gibbing animation in HUD.
    Strafing now follows the USE action mapping, instead of being hardcoded to “C”.
    Corrected monster animation speed on finale screen and added shot sounds.
    The “New game” menu now remembers the last selected map until game’s restarted.

Thread Information