Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Secret Santa 2021

I think it's important to mention that most of us haven't checked up on prices of things we've been wanting, and nowadays everything is expensive. Probably 75% + of what's on my own list exceeds the recommended budget. It didn't start that way, it's just how things are now. A lot of random titles are now big collector's items.

So it might seem like our Santa's are taking the easy route, but honestly it's not. I'm sure we'll all do the best we can considering our own budgets. As much as I'd always like to send a stack of games from the list, it probably wouldn't be financially responsible for me to do so this year, or probably any year going forward with this. So just be aware, at a glance it might not look like much but money doesn't go as far anymore in this market.

Thats why I put a lot of random stuff on my lists as well every year, like Blu-Rays and DVDs and Music CDs. Dont think its right to just put video games considering the prices these days. You want people to reasonably be able to find the stuff in a used store or maybe they already have it and dont want it anymore. That kind of vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I think it's important to mention that most of us haven't checked up on prices of things we've been wanting, and nowadays everything is expensive. Probably 75% + of what's on my own list exceeds the recommended budget. It didn't start that way, it's just how things are now. A lot of random titles are now big collector's items.

So it might seem like our Santa's are taking the easy route, but honestly it's not. I'm sure we'll all do the best we can considering our own budgets. As much as I'd always like to send a stack of games from the list, it probably wouldn't be financially responsible for me to do so this year, or probably any year going forward with this. So just be aware, at a glance it might not look like much but money doesn't go as far anymore in this market.
    Yeah, I mentioned this close to the beginning of the thread. People who go about this the way I do (create a big list and update it as you acquire games or come across other games you want to aquire) tend to still have a good amount of affordable titles on their lists. However, a lot of the titles that may have been going for $5-10 a few years ago are now going for $20-30; in some cases, they're going for $100+. I mentioned trying to make a point of adding more less expensive items to everyone's lists. From my perspective as a buyer, it's nice to see multiple options in different price tiers. I like what Baloo mentioned (adding a variety of items to the list), but it could also be done by trying to identify lower priced games you would like to have and adding them to the list you have already prepared. This probably isn't a good time because the lists were just sent out, but at some point, I want to get people's thoughts on whether they would prefer we increase the expected spend or try to make sure they can have a good amount of items in the $5-25 range on their lists.

My recipient got the perfect Santa. Excellent...

I'd be ok with a little increase in budget. I always go over anyway.

Stimulate the economy. It's always good to spend a bit more.

my local retro shop closed down this year, so I have to get everything online.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

^ That sucks. I'm afraid my local shop is going down the same route. Lately, their inventory has been much worse than recent years - both in terms of quantity and quality. Unfortunately, they have been offering really low amounts of store credit/cash when buying games (at least to me), so this is probably incentivizing people to sell games on their own for a greater return. I used to take a lot of my doubles/unwanted games there, but now I don't bother.

Thanks for the early responses, guys. If other people don't chime in, I'll revisit this topic next year before things get started.

Out here we don't have any local shops and with online offering anything so easily, it's not an issue in the least.

I surprisingly am living in a place now where I have 5 retro shops in 10 minute driving distance, 8 if you include the Goodwills and Salvation Army. I am hopeful that it will make my search easier this year than just buying stuff online.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I have a massive retro store that's just about as much as you could ever hope for, 20 - 30k games in-store. However, that doesn't really help me as most of the high demand titles, they simply don't have. Most of these games are already in collections and are just so hard to find now.

I'm not complaining at all, and it doesn't matter to me who's name I draw but it just kind of made me chuckle how in doing this SS for probably the past 5 or so years, I think I've only drawn like two different names. It kinda goes back and forth, but I've drawn this name several times before.

Just waiting on 1 more thing to be delivered and I'll be shipping my gifts out.

IMO if you can't afford the game, then don't play. Nothing is cheap these days and even if things were cheap, you get what you pay for.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Stirs my heart to still see this happening. I will try and make sure I can participate next year
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Received a package...

I think I've gotten this Santa before lol.

I just sent mine out this morning.

Thread Information