Quantcast

Thread: Help wanted building Chilly's 32X toolchain!

Wildside Expert

Exclamation Help wanted building Chilly's 32X toolchain!

I contacted Chilly directly about a week ago, but I'm thinking he's probably busy and doesn't always get to these forums. So let me try the Sega-16 user base as a whole.

I have been trying to build his 32X toolchain for a week now. I have made progress, and can actually build the TicTacToe example for Genesis, but *can't* build it for 32X. I've fixed many, many issues, but I've discovered that the libraries aren't being built for the SH compiler.

I'm using Windows 10 with Cygwin64. I have GCC 11.2.0 installed. I have a matching G++ installed as well.

Most recently, I did a "make build-sh2". After a long time of compiler and so forth, it fails with the following:

chilly1.jpg

I have searched the web repeatedly to try and make some sense of this. The best I could come up with was someone suggesting when they had this issue, they modified the makefile to use "g++" instead of "gcc" and it worked for them. The problem with that is this is using "xgcc", and the "xg++" counterpart doesn't exist anywhere.

I feel like I'm getting very close to getting this toolchain built in full. M68K and ZASM is all there. Just need to SH stuff to cooperate, and right now I'm just plain stuck.

Does anyone at all have any insight or experience with this?

Looks like it's not seeing the C++ compiler. You're sure it's the right compiler for this toolchain?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Looks like it's not seeing the C++ compiler. You're sure it's the right compiler for this toolchain?
    I'm not really sure of anything to be honest. I can tell you that when I do "gcc --version", or similarly "g++ --version", I get the following:

gcc (GCC) 11.2.0
    Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    And as I said, it builds everything else fine. Is there something else I should be doing for additional verification?

As for the "xgcc", that gets built or copied (not sure which, or from where it comes) to "./build-gcc-sh-elf-9.1.0/gcc". Running "./xgcc --version" from its directory shows the same basic message as quoted above, but the version is 9.1.0.

Also, my understanding is that xgcc is supposed to be able to handle both C and C++. I would think if it's able to find the executable (at least I assume so based on the error screenshot), that would constitute a C++ compiler. Since it apparently doesn't, I really don't know what it's actually looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    I'm not really sure of anything to be honest. I can tell you that when I do "gcc --version", or similarly "g++ --version", I get the following:
    That can't be right. The output of g++ --version is gcc?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    That can't be right. The output of g++ --version is gcc?
    The first line says the following:
    g++ (GCC) 11.2.0

Probably shouldn't say but, j2 superh for llvm from here https://github.com/francisvm/j2-llvm might be useful. Llvm-mingw might work...?

Maybe no-one will answer, but is 3DO Animator for Apple 68000 compatible with the format in D32XR? What format are the bitmaps, textures and sounds in D32XR?

edit
    Probably shouldn't mention this sh4 assembler/disassembler either but, https://github.com/washingtondc-emu/sh4asm.
    Last edited by vexatious; 11-22-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

May I suggest giving up trying to compile it under cygwin and just use Linux bins + WSL? You could either compile them there without much trouble or just use the ones that I've posted on github: https://github.com/viciious/32XDK/releases/tag/20190504

Wildside Expert

Thanks for the suggestions I've gotten on this. I actually got it working... can't say I "figured it out", because I still have no idea why it was having difficulties building before. But, oh well. I can compile things for the 32X now!

If it's not obvious, I'm a little motivated by D32XR to try my hand at some stuff on the platform. I have an idea of what I want to do. I'll discuss the specifics down the road. Right now, I'm just experimenting with the hardware to get used to how it works and what to expect. So far, it's a PITA. Good thing I have Chilly's stuff to help aid my journey

Thread Information