Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Official aMaru Thread: Amazing Mega Drive Hacks!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One aMaru's Avatar

I've had literally zero time to spend on the project lately, but I started working on stage 2, so I'm sharing a few screenshots.
    The work is still preliminary, you'll see a lot of things that need fixing, but overall I think it's shaping up well.
    I'll be glad to hear your opinions

As usual, LEFT: original MD game - CENTER: hacked MD game - RIGHT: original ARCADE game

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Lord Hiryu's Avatar

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Really impressive......love your work and dedication!!!! Keep going please.

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

Simply incredible.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by aMaru View Post
    I've had literally zero time to spend on the project lately, but I started working on stage 2, so I'm sharing a few screenshots.
    The work is still preliminary, you'll see a lot of things that need fixing, but overall I think it's shaping up well.
    I'll be glad to hear your opinions

As usual, LEFT: original MD game - CENTER: hacked MD game - RIGHT: original ARCADE game

It looks worlds better than the MD's original. The last shot, though, as a bit of a rough transition between the floor tiles; IDK if there's a way to improve that.

Ideally, the part of the internal tile that I highlighted here should also be near the edge of the transition for it to look smoother:

Hi aMaru.

How your project goes? any update?

Thanks for your great efforts.

Still working on stage 2, part 1. I've been working on restoring the moving sands animation and - mostly - on the sprites.
    In stage 2 in particular Yuji Naka has had to do quite drastic cuts in terms of sprite size, color count, animation frames, so I'm trying to restore the beautiful arcade art to some extent.
    This required a lot of redrawing and major re-engineering of the original sprites descriptors.

Here are some screenshots of the results; you have the original MD art on the left and the redrawn/recolored sprites on the right

rock turtle

ropes and bridges, blue rock

dragonfly (not sure still if I'll manage to keep 4 frames or I'll have to cut it to 2)

sand beetle

I'm preparing a short video to show the updates in action. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    It looks worlds better than the MD's original. The last shot, though, as a bit of a rough transition between the floor tiles; IDK if there's a way to improve that.

Ideally, the part of the internal tile that I highlighted here should also be near the edge of the transition for it to look smoother:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually at the moment there are many places where the transitions in the terrain are not very smooth.
    I'll work on that as soon as I'm done with a first redraw of the entire stage.

To complicate things further, changing the placement of individual tiles also impacts memory usage, because you have to create a new individual descriptor for every unique block of four tiles to draw your background planes.
    This is something I'll have to reconsider when I have a first version of the entire stage's assets converted.

Quote Originally Posted by aMaru View Post
    Still working on stage 2, part 1. I've been working on restoring the moving sands animation and - mostly - on the sprites.
    In stage 2 in particular Yuji Naka has had to do quite drastic cuts in terms of sprite size, color count, animation frames, so I'm trying to restore the beautiful arcade art to some extent.
    This required a lot of redrawing and major re-engineering of the original sprites descriptors.

Here are some screenshots of the results; you have the original MD art on the left and the redrawn/recolored sprites on the right

rock turtle

ropes and bridges, blue rock

dragonfly (not sure still if I'll manage to keep 4 frames or I'll have to cut it to 2)

sand beetle

I'm preparing a short video to show the updates in action. Stay tuned!

Trully impressive!!!

Still I dont know how you create such kind of magic.
    I assumed you have increased the amount of rom space, and then insert the new tiles and hook to the pointers.

Really a great achieve!!!!!

Amazing work this is why I stay with Sega Genesis there are more games need to be fixed or ported over to the Genesis side to keep the Genesis fans happy 😁

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Looks very good, congratulations!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Road Rasher

Looks great !
    MD version is notorious for wonky hitboxes, will there be some work there as well ?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    Looks great !
    MD version is notorious for wonky hitboxes, will there be some work there as well ?
    I brought up the fireball hit box issue, and he said he'd look into it. Are there other hit box issues? If so, it would be nice to list them.

Thread Information