Thread: Retrobit Gaiares

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

the ad with jamie bunker hahaha

»» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I own a copy of the original, however if you never got to buy a copy, and still have a Genesis, by all means pick it up. It's a great STG, and the weapon powerup system is unique.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

finally price of the original will go down...

of course not, I already see the retrobit repro reaching ludicrous prices similar to the original.

I own the original as a loose cart, so yeah, I preordered this for sure!

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

When did Gaiares get release in the US?

I know it's 1990, But what date

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

According to my copy of the MegaDrive Perfect Catalogue (a Japanese book), it was released on the 26th of December, 1990; retail price 8900 Yen.
    It was also the 2nd ever 8 MegaBits cartridge, after Strider.

»» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Gaiares is a damned fine H shmup. Picked up a cart only of this way back when I was first getting back into the Genesis. Happy to add this one to the shelf where it belongs.

Glad Jamie Bunker is finally once again getting the moon push that he deserves. He needs to grow that mullet back out tho. If they wanted to do this release right purchase of the game should enter you into a drawing for a chance to be flown to Vegas for an intense rooftop head to head score battle against Jamie in Gaiares.
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 11-20-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I picked this up as well. I can totally foresee Retro-bit essentially making us buy the whole Shmup library on the Genesis again... I was hoping these rereleases wouldn't set a precedent, but here we are.

SEGA-Jorge

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I will gladly buy a copy CIB copy of Eliminate Down from them if they ever get the rights.

A super expensive game then.
    A super expensive game now.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    I own a copy of the original, however if you never got to buy a copy, and still have a Genesis, by all means pick it up. It's a great STG, and the weapon powerup system is unique.
    Same. Definitely worth picking this up if you don't already have it. It's tempting to get this anyways for that sweet t-shirt though.

Quote Originally Posted by ichbinian View Post
    Same. Definitely worth picking this up if you don't already have it. It's tempting to get this anyways for that sweet t-shirt though.
    I have both the US and Japanese copy and I'm still tempted to order this for the shirt.
    Looking for the following
    Trouble Shooter Manual
    Elemental Master Manual/Case

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I wish they had released the bare-minimum-edition without t-shirts and stuff for a few bucks less. Just slightly above the threshold for me to jump at it. Never been on my rader tbh. Also, wonder if we'll see some of Konami's Mega-drive games re-released. Would pay good money for TMNT, Castlevania and Sunset Riders triple pack, or even separately. The prices have gone up insanely. They did a rerelease of Zombies Ate My Neighbours, so it might not be entirely out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by mhell View Post
    I wish they had released the bare-minimum-edition without t-shirts and stuff for a few bucks less. Just slightly above the threshold for me to jump at it. Never been on my rader tbh. Also, wonder if we'll see some of Konami's Mega-drive games re-released. Would pay good money for TMNT, Castlevania and Sunset Riders triple pack, or even separately. The prices have gone up insanely. They did a rerelease of Zombies Ate My Neighbours, so it might not be entirely out of the question.
    At what point do these re-releases start becoming problematic? I could imagine Retro-Bit trying to republish shmups across the board. But when you have games like Wings of Wor (Gynoug) coming out on the switch with good CRT shader support, and potential for remixed modes, etc. for $7, it makes the prospect of a physical copy being $60 a bit unimpressive. I love the idea of people being able to buy these games, but I would love for the companies publishing these to really make an effort to add extra content, modes, really anything. (I do think that the region free/PAL/NTSC versions being all sorted out is a good deal.)

I guess, for the people that collected these games (I have essentially all the shmups that came out for the Genesis in the US, and some imports) we are essentially just rebuying games we already own. It would be great if these were versions with additional content. Also, please, do the Japanese instruction booklets, full color, with translated content.

I really think the main focus should be on unreleased games for regions.

Suggestions
    - Undead Line
    - Eliminate Down
    - Slap Fight
    - Verytex
    - Super Fantasy Zone
    - Battlemania
    - Gleylancer
    - Twin Hawk

Additional Options (Discounted?)
    - Fire Mustang
    - Bioship Paladin
    - Heavy Unit
    - Master of Weapon
    - Curse
    - Dangerous Seed
    - XDR

You forgot Twinkle Tale. I think Super Fantasy Zone is out of the question, since Sega owns it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information