Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega 'Super Game' what will it be? in your opinion

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Default Sega 'Super Game' what will it be? in your opinion

I'm inclined to believe that by the amount of money invested that it's not a game but it's not a tangible product either.

In my opinion, the Super Game is the first step for Sega's Return to the market and the second step would be to announce another investment cycle showing the product, whatever it is or the name it could have.

In the near future we will know, and u what you say? :confuso:

brace yourselves

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/se.../1100-6491431/

Sega seems to be reorienting their priorities based on this slide:

However, I dont buy that this Super Game is anything but a way to try to show competitors Sega is still relevant in the market for more than defunct IPs, Sonic, Yakuza and re-releases. This seems like it could end up like Squadron 42, highly expensive and flashy vaporware that never comes out.

Sega business-wise is in an interesting spot, a weird game and anime conglomerate capable of capitalizing on the manic demand from Americans that has increased exponentially since the 90s. They own TMS, creator of my favorite anime Lupin the 3rd. But their stock still goes nowhere, aside from Yakuza and Sonic Mania they havent put out a ton of hits, and they also just shut down their Japanese arcade business. But there is that new announced strategic partnership with Microsoft to develop games for Azure.

I could see them ultimately getting bought by Microsoft, but that has been rumored for 15 years now, and Microsoft ruined Rare after they bought them. So who knows. I guess I should just be thankful that Sega isnt Capcom or Konami who have managed to treat their IPs even worse.

I want to see more of the SEGA that puts out remasters and sequels to House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage. I dont think another sci-fi FPS shooter is what anyone needs. Cyberpunk 2077 is garbage, and Halo is widely available now.

I wish game companies would look back instead of forward to the same expensive, glossy, open world stuff that feels so cookie cutter. You can only do GTA V over and over again. Where is the difference in gameplay?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

From the description of the "Super Game" it sounds like an MMORPG featuring a ton of different IPs. I don't know if that's actually what's planned though or if "Super Game" is just some new marketing term.

What game is worth $882 million? More importantly where does Sega plan to get all that money?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    However, I dont buy that this Super Game is anything but a way to try to show competitors Sega is still relevant in the market for more than defunct IPs, Sonic, Yakuza and re-releases...
    That was a lot of text to show that you don't really know anything about Sega's current business

Just the monthly reminder for Sega-16 that modern Sega does a lot more than Sonic games, such as publishing the Persona/SMT series (including one of the highest-rated new releases on metacritic now). Oh, and Sega was ranked as the #1 publisher in the entire industry for 2020 by metacritic. The company is doing great recently.

I know they do other things clearly than Sonic games, but the fact remains that their publicly traded stock is $16 a share and has been under $20 since 2013. Nintendo on the other hand is worth over $500 per share. Persona, regardless of how many weebs buy it, will never be a flagship franchise. That's a popular niche franchise, as is Atlas. SEGA makes plenty of quality games, but if you're looking to have SEGA be the same innovator of the 1980s and 90s, dumping $800 million into a sci-fi space shooter is not what I envision as breaking a new barrier into video games. This is the company that gave us countless amounts of good games and coordinated with good publishers to make good games. I mean all you need to look at is literally the difference between the active IP category and the Past IP category to see what SEGA was, and what SEGA is.

I've been a SEGA fan, but I don't think you need to see that SEGA, while doing better than many video game companies, still could use a jolt in the arm as far as game development goes. There are literally 20 IPs in the stables at SEGA that would benefit from an $880 million dollar investment compared to some sci-fi space shooter that for all we know could be just another Halo or Cyberpunk 2077. And that doesn't impress me. Maybe my tastes are just different.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

I read an article that claimed the new game might be called sonic frontiers or something. I can't vouch for the accuracy. I think they found the name while data mining, iirc.

people who think it's a simple game should look at the data about it.

by my calculations with this money it is possible for Sega one of the following choices below- to stay only in the field of plausibility.

a- to maintain the same release cycle n quality that it did in the last 10 years 2011-2021
    b- to make 30-40 double A games (modern games) games to the next 6 years
    c- to make 10 AAA games on the same standard as Sony (Last of us 2, infamous, driveclub, uncharted, spiderman, ghost of tutsushima, ratcht and clank, horizon zero dawn, god of war, gran turismo) with only reduced marketing. This is incredible if we think about it, Sega makes a Virtua Fighter in the same league it used to do, ie in excellence. Virtua fighter was synonymous with technology
    d- to make 4 /5 GTA 5 (overhyped game) this money allows ''5'' anything in the same category
    so it is clear that this is a lot of money just for a single game.

It also seems like a lot of money to set up a Sega service to me, so I'm inclined to believe that Sega will do the rest of the announcement, as what was said was insufficient, one more Q is missing imo.

However, I dont buy that this Super Game is anything but a way to try to show competitors Sega is still relevant in the market for more than defunct IPs, Sonic, Yakuza and re-releases.
    you're a fan like me but honestly most of us can come off the defensive, until a month ago no one believed that Sega even had nearly 1 Billion for a project. Now a lot of people are saying oh this is cool. That's about the same amount spent on the entire Dreamcast Project with games included and updated inflation.

it's not vanity that Sega is doing this, there is a lot of money at stake but whatever one thing is for sure they are creating something that will interfere in the gaming world just like shenmue did, to this day shenmue's influence can be felt in many games.

This announcement changed everything, Sega is interfering deeply in the gaming world and if we can't see or feel it now for sure soon everyone (fans and haters) will be talking about it.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    I read an article that claimed the new game might be called sonic frontiers or something. I can't vouch for the accuracy. I think they found the name while data mining, iirc.
    No that wasn't this. That is possible the already announced Sonic open-world game's final name. Not even open-world Sonic would be this "Super game"

More likely a GaaS title may be based on a licensed IP.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

. Cyberpunk 2077 is garbage, and Halo is widely available now.

I wish game companies would look back instead of forward to the same expensive, glossy, open world stuff that feels so cookie cutter. You can only do GTA V over and over again. Where is the difference in gameplay?
    Cyberpunk is far from garbage and MS have far from killed RARE, never mind both SEGA and Capcom have done very well of late. You call Capcom and yet they're a company that's successfully made wonderful sequels to IP like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry of late and Capcom is 'said to be working on a sequel to Dragon Dogma even SEGA been able to update some of its old IP with a wonderful sequel's like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the new Phantasy Star New Genesis and in the Arcades a wonderful sequel to House of the Dead

Here's the think Baloo, try playing some of the games and you might find out they're not half bad at all

Back on the topic. I don't think it is one game, but more a couple of big projects. At a guess maybe SEGA Japan will try its hand at a Dark Souls style game and have the Yakuza team make a big-budget 3rd person action game and hopefully give Yakuza a bit of a rest. Also quite looking forward to what Creative Assembly next console game is going to be, Alien Isolation was ace
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    That was a lot of text to show that you don't really know anything about Sega's current business

Just the monthly reminder for Sega-16 that modern Sega does a lot more than Sonic games, such as publishing the Persona/SMT series (including one of the highest-rated new releases on metacritic now). Oh, and Sega was ranked as the #1 publisher in the entire industry for 2020 by metacritic. The company is doing great recently.
    SEGA is at its best stage since genesis.

The company managed to purge part of the persecutions that had been against it, created a niche for itself in Japan such as it never had, now it is being rediscovered here in the West.

But unfortunately many Sega fans need to cleanse themselves of nostalgia because until they understand that it was that team that they so applaud the co-responsibles for the near bankruptcy of Sega will not be able to move forward in this regard.

SEGA has reinvented itself and done it with mastery, as a fan I want the company to use this creative freedom in bold projects.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post

But unfortunately many Sega fans need to cleanse themselves of nostalgia s.
    The irony coming from someone who wants SEGA to return to being a console manufacturer. The sector that almost bankrupted SEGA.
    SEGA just needs to focus more on console and PC productions and it's being doing well of late on that score. So happy to see SEGA moving more in that direction than the look to move to mobile a few back under Sammy.

I also feel SEGA needs to look to make a few remasters of its IP but with big budgets and its latest tech (like how SEGA handled the Yakuza remasters) and I wish SEGA would work with From on making a remaster of Chromhounds, the best LIVE game ever made
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Rumor has it Yakuza studio working on a spinoff to a Star Fox game. Fucking hell I hope not. Also seems the Judgment series is dead. Thanks to the VA Agency.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The irony coming from someone who wants SEGA to return to being a console manufacturer. The sector that almost bankrupted SEGA.
    I don't understand how people don't get this.

When people say they want a "Dreamcast 2," they do not. They want 1999-2001 to happen again. By itself, the Dreamcast is a computer designed in 1997. What made Dreamcast special was the talent, backing, etc. Getting out of consoles and letting the big players fight over the hardware was one of the best business decisions Sega ever made.

Reboots are pointless in every situation, because they usually have nothing to do with the source material beyond the name. The world really has gone intellectually bankrupt.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

I guess I'll make my wild ass guess:

*breaks open fortune cookie*
    It's going to be a huge open world sci-fi FPS with super cutting edge VR. Microsoft will play a part in the secret project.

https://www.gamedesigning.org/gaming...ity-companies/

And it won't use up all the money.

Tah-Daaaah!!!

Thread Information