Quantcast

View Poll Results: Is Sonic 3D Blast better than half or more of Sonic's 3D titles?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 57.14%
  • No

6 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sonic 3D Blast better than half or most of Sonic's other 3D games?

Default Is Sonic 3D Blast better than half or most of Sonic's other 3D games?

Asked this question to friends of mine for kicks and we actually all came to the agreement that it's much more enjoyable than it gets credit for.

I would say "Yes" personally, I prefer the Saturn version, but the Genesis version was fine too. It's a bit on the slower side, but I liked the exploration for some reason.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are still my favorites, followed by Sonic Generations and Sonic Heroes. Sonic Forces was "okay" for the most part, but the levels were a bit too short for 3D Sonic (though they functioned fine enough to be enjoyable for me).

Didn't care for any of the Wii or Wii U Sonic titles, didn't like Sonic Unleashed though it did have a couple of fun Sonic levels, and Sonic '06 is just plain bad. Shadow the Hedgehog I didn't like either (but I probably shouldn't count that one). I plan to give Sonic Colors another try now that we have a remaster this year (picked up Super Monkey Ball's release too), as I could tell I was up for giving the game another fair shake.

This is all just my opinion keep in mind.

How would you guys say Sonic 3D Blast has measured out in comparison to the rest of Sonic's 3D catalogue? Is it underrated? Or am I giving it too much credit?

Sonic 3D Blast is an odd game, but if forced to I would play it over any of the other 3D Sonic games frankly. 3D Blast at least has good music and no voice acting. But watching those flickies bounce around? Eugh...

Saturn one has amazing special stages. The isometric platforming is just too clunky though. They should have made the game on a 2D plane with the pre-rendered 3D graphics like Donkey Kong Country and Sonic Blast on Game Gear (even though that is a truly trash game.) We all know after Toy Story and Mickey Mania that Traveller's Tales could make some damn good 2D Platformers
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

3D Blast is not 3D and one of the worst Sonic games.

So no.

I liked most of the 3D Sonic games, including Shadow and Unleashed. FYI the Colors remaster is terrible.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

It's isometric, not 3D. Also one of the worst Sonic games ever made and the worst one of the 90s. The only good thing about the game is the Genesis OST.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

I like Sonic 3D Blast, but in no way it's better than any other 3D Sonic, well Colors and Lost World apart (those are terrible).

The real issue of Sonic 3D Blast is that it came after 1,2,3&K.

Colors is the best 3D Sonic game bar none.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Colors is not even a real 3D Sonic.
    it's easily the worst in the series for graphic, level design, gameplay, story...only the music is half decent.

Colors is good, unlike half the 3D Sonic games out there which are largely bad.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I had the Saturn version, and let's just say I don't have it anymore.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Good point, I guess it's not really 3D, but at least we get to assess it's general quality level against the 3D library, considering it would just get toppled against the 2D library.

Also, just to clarify, I don't think Sonic 3D Blast is an amazing game or anything, just that it's an "okay" Sonic game in my book. All I was personally trying to say is that I don't think it's as bad as its reputation makes it out to be, as I didn't have a bad time with the game when I played it. However, pick almost any other 2D Sonic and you'll probably have a much better time in comparison. Or even some of the 3D games for that matter.

But yeah, I would've rather had Sonic Xtreme than this game on the Saturn any day, don't get me wrong.

Pretty heartbroken to learn that my purchase of the Sonic Colors Remaster might not be a good one, I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but now I think I"ll hop right on it and make sure what the fuss is about. As far as it being a "3D entry" I guess that's hard to say. I thought Nights was mostly played on a 2D plane minus being in human form, so I'm always confused with the classification of that game too.

Yeah SEGA outsourced it to a team. It's not a good remaster. They patched some things but still have issues. Wait a while longer to play it. The game has some good level design and platforming. The bosses are fun. Great music well aside from the autotune theme song. I can't take people seriously who complain about a story in Sonic. But yeah it's a typical Sonic story. Robotnick up to no good. Save the day yadda yadda. I rarely like Sonic anything anymore. I've developed a bias against that series in recent years but Colors I still find to be a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post

Pretty heartbroken to learn that my purchase of the Sonic Colors Remaster might not be a good one, I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but now I think I"ll hop right on it and make sure what the fuss is about. As far as it being a "3D entry" I guess that's hard to say. I thought Nights was mostly played on a 2D plane minus being in human form, so I'm always confused with the classification of that game too.
    Sonic Colors is really nice, it was amazing on the Cube and the Remaster is pretty awesome; but of course, the internet tells people it's not that good and so many just regurgitate what the internet and YouTube tells them to think and say.
    I didn't mind Sonic 3D on either the MD or Saturn and it was worth getting as a technical showcase on both systems, but the game was clearly just stocking filler and a game made to patch a hole in the market to have a Sonic game out there, I think it's how Sonic controls in that game, that lets it down a lot, it just doesn't feel right and like Sonic is on ice at all times

I sort of wish TT were given the task of making Sonic Xtreme on the Saturn, rather than the muppets at STI. They would have no doubt done a far better job and got the game out, but really it should have been Sonic Team Japan making a sequel to the IP for the 32bit gen anway.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Kinda interesting that there is sharp divide over Sonic Colors. I'm in the "it sucks" camp, and I also didn't like Heroes at all. Wasn't a fan of Shadow either, and I think everyone agrees that '06 is crap. I did really enjoy Adventure, Unleashed, and the Secret Rings though (the latter two I went into with almost no expectations, so maybe the surprise of "hey, this isn't that bad" made them seem better than they were?). 3D blast, on Saturn anyway, wasn't really that bad. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle if you want to count it as 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Kinda interesting that there is sharp divide over Sonic Colors. I'm in the "it sucks" camp, and I also didn't like Heroes at all. Wasn't a fan of Shadow either, and I think everyone agrees that '06 is crap. I did really enjoy Adventure, Unleashed, and the Secret Rings though (the latter two I went into with almost no expectations, so maybe the surprise of "hey, this isn't that bad" made them seem better than they were?). 3D blast, on Saturn anyway, wasn't really that bad. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle if you want to count it as 3D.
    I played all of them as they came out. I didn't love Colors either. It was too streamlined, like Heroes and the old 2D games. I did enjoy it, just not as much as the other entries.

I liked Unleashed, and I would've liked '06 if it was finished. I loved the soap opera plot of '06 indeed, but the gameplay really did have a lot of holes that weren't fixed before release.

If I really had to think about it, I would say the three Sonic Adventure games (Unleashed is 3) and the Shadow side story together are the best 3D Sonic game.

I've played too many Sonic games.

Thread Information