Quantcast

View Poll Results: Is Sonic 3D Blast better than half or more of Sonic's 3D titles?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 57.14%
  • No

6 42.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sonic 3D Blast better than half or most of Sonic's other 3D games?

Surprising how divided opinion is on most of the games. 3D Blast looks good on paper, but to play it it's just not fun. It's slow, clunky, and difficult to control.

Outrunner

The only issue I had with Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis/Megadrive is the lack of a save feature.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    clunky, and difficult to control.
    LOL those criticisms can be levelled at the more modern 3D Sonic games too😆

I've not played all of them, but I know that is a legitimate criticism of Sonic Heroes. But it's only made worse by the inherent difficulty of controlling anything from an isometric perspective. A game centered around speed and precision platforming, in that kind of perspective?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It might have been a good game, if they had Sonic moving around in his spin dash form, like Sonic Pinball.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    The only issue I had with Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis/Megadrive is the lack of a save feature.
    Totally agree, the real deal breaker was the lack of save feature.
    And even this was fixed in the Sonic 3D director's cut, with a password system.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Sonic 3D Blast on Saturn is a 6/10 game for me. It isn't particularly fun, but is decently designed and more unique among the Sonic games with its experimental isometric gameplay, which thankfully was never attempted subsequently. The bonus rounds are 9/10 however!

Then again, I think that most of the 3D Sonics also aren't too fun and have other gameplay wrinkles that really don't engage me. I'd rate Sonic Adventure1 and 2, Generations, and Colors as 7.5/10 or 8/10 Sonic games. The other 3D Sonics, lower ratings.

I'd rate Sonic 1,2,3,K, and Mania as 9/10 to 10/10 games.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I give Sonic Adventure a big fat 5. It kind of sucked!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Sonic Colors is really nice, it was amazing on the Cube.
    LOL wut! Colors was a Wii game, not GameCube. Heroes and Colors were at least bearable, unlike the cluster fucks like Unleashed or 06 ... 🤮🤮 to either of those.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

yes it is better for sure, but not because 3D Blast is good but well basicaly all Sonic 3D games are weak, I would say Sonic Adventures 2 would be the best if we had the option to play only with Sonic but even imperfect it is the best then comes the first Sonic Adventure then Sonic Heroes and finally Sonic Generations the others are forgettable and deplorable, I know that many Sega fans (supposed fans) like them just because such games exist. The true fan says they're bad but at the same time asks Sega to keep trying.

I honestly prefer Crash trilogy (ps1) or even Sonic Jam 3d map than most Sonic 3D games

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    LOL wut! Colors was a Wii game, not GameCube. Heroes and Colors were at least bearable, unlike the cluster fucks like Unleashed or 06 ... 🤮🤮 to either of those.
    A clear Typo. Unleashed wasn't 'that' bad either, its daytime sections were really good and some of the graphics were stunning for the time; in parts playing the game in real time reminded me of Sonic running on SEGAs ultra highend PC powering its 2005 Sonic tech demo. Its biggest issue was some of the levels were a bit unfinished and needed a little more work
    Really good to be able to play it at 60 FPS too

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I like Sonic 3D Blast personally. If I had to choose between which versions, I liked the Saturn more since I thought the soundtrack was very very well done.

I'm sorry this shit was jamming as fuck back in the day!
    05/05/15

Hero of Algol

I voted "Yes", of course.

The vast majority of 3D Sonic games are, at best, hot garbage.

Sonic 3D Blast has mediocre gameplay dedicated to nursing stupid flickies and it also has many flaws inherited from the isometric perspective.
    But it has one key feature that the 3D Sonic games lack: you actually control Sonic all the time.

No cinematic on-rails crap, no vomit-inducing abrupt camera shifts, no scripted bs action, no dial-in combos, etc.
    And a big fat bonus: no idiotic voice acting to pander to weirdos.

The Saturn version uses some horrendous presentation elements (very common to Saturn games, by the way), like the stage intro cards.
    I've always preferred the MD game due to the chiptunes (albeit the distorted PCM playback hurts the drums) and the Director's Cut version is more pleasant to play than any other IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm sorry this shit was jamming as fuck back in the day!
    My favorite track from 2.5D Blast.

It has earned a semi-permanent spot in my playlists, from the tape days (at the end of one of my best mixes, "Rainy Mix") to iPods to phones. Love Rusty Ruin.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I played all of them as they came out. I didn't love Colors either. It was too streamlined, like Heroes and the old 2D games. I did enjoy it, just not as much as the other entries.

I liked Unleashed, and I would've liked '06 if it was finished. I loved the soap opera plot of '06 indeed, but the gameplay really did have a lot of holes that weren't fixed before release.

If I really had to think about it, I would say the three Sonic Adventure games (Unleashed is 3) and the Shadow side story together are the best 3D Sonic game.

I've played too many Sonic games.
    There's no such thing as playing too many Sonic games!

I could see Colors being more enjoyable if you went through the game/your favorite levels multiple times, but nothing from my original experiences with each level made me want to replay them.

I agree with you about Unleashed and '06 (well... except for the soap opera plot). '06 also had some gamebreaking bugs. I figured a lot of people didn't like Unleashed, so I'm glad at least one other person does.

Sonic Adventure 2 is the worst 3D Sonic game.

Thread Information