Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Favorite Atari Jaguar Games

Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    Do you mean live-action or animated by chance? I remember liking games like Time Gal and Road Avenger back in the day, Dragon's Lair and Brain Dead 13 were cool too.

Speaking of Jaguar and FMV games, I guess American Hero was released not too long ago, and I guess that was an unreleased Jaguar CD FMV game which is interesting. I'll probably pick that up because it looks so funny.

Both. I really enjoyed the likes of Lost Eden, Cluedo and 7th Guest on the CDi and I enjoyed many PC CD Rom Dos and Mega CD FMV games or games with a lot of FMV in them.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I played Super Burnout a little while ago but wasn't as taken with it as I expected to be -- it's technically impressive but the gameplay didn't click with me (yet).
    This is the single most overrated Atari Jaguar game.
    It's just a glorified sprite scaling tech demo but the racing engine is extremely rudimentary and nowhere near as advanced and complex as Super Hang-On; and that remains true if you're talking Mega Drive's Super Hang-On.

I'd go as far to say that it's even inferior to Neo Geo's Riding Hero, which is already a very sad and poor SHO clone.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This is the single most overrated Atari Jaguar game.
    It's just a glorified sprite scaling tech demo but the racing engine is extremely rudimentary and nowhere near as advanced and complex as Super Hang-On; and that remains true if you're talking Mega Drive's Super Hang-On.

I'd go as far to say that it's even inferior to Neo Geo's Riding Hero, which is already a very sad and poor SHO clone.
    I'm sort of relieved to hear that, as I wondered if I was missing something! Too bad there aren't any Jaguar games (are there?) that have that level of sprite scaling but actually back it up with worthy gameplay.

I'm sort of relieved to hear that, as I wondered if I was missing something! Too bad there aren't any Jaguar games (are there?) that have that level of sprite scaling but actually back it up with worthy gameplay.
    Compared to games on other systems of its generation (and even before it) Super Burnout probably isn't that exciting.

But if the Atari Jaguar were the only console that you owned then Super Burnout would be like discovering an oasis in the desert that is the Jaguar library.

It looks good, sounds great and is the most fun (especially when you cheat to use the best bike) you'll find that isn't Doom or Rayman. And I think it's like a $20.00 game still.

I will be fair in that when I say I liked Super Burnout a great deal as a Hang On successor, it's also because nobody does it better than Sega for arcade bike games. Outside of that, I don't think I've played many Hang On-style games that I've enjoyed, but I'm also not a bike enthusiast who seeks that genre out specifically, as I feel the racing genre is one of my weaker genres for game experience. Super Burnout played well enough for me, it's in no way better than Super Hang On, but I feel it's still quite enjoyable considering what it is. Might be too standard of an experience for racing vets though.

Riding Hero was a terrifying experience for me, who even adds a timer to a story mode? That's freaking hilariously awful (and evil too), nobody probably played that crap! Also, driving against the stupidest traffic known to man, some of the evilest AI I've ever experienced, and good luck trying to freaking turn. It's one of the few SNK games I've played where I have almost nothing nice to say about it.

I wouldn't say the Jaguar's best games are bad in any stretch though, but saying other consoles can do better is a generally accurate statement, so I can agree with that notion. You'll get a better game experience if you go with pretty much any other option. You even get Rayman and Doom on other consoles which helps that arguement.

However, I am pretty generous with the arcade revivals, all things considered, because I love old Atari-style arcade games. I even still enjoy games like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Galaga to this day. Of course, nobody wants that kind of stuff when you're bragging about a "64-bit Console" but I feel there's always a place for old-school, high score-style arcade experiences for people who love to test themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Compared to games on other systems of its generation (and even before it) Super Burnout probably isn't that exciting.

But if the Atari Jaguar were the only console that you owned then Super Burnout would be like discovering an oasis in the desert that is the Jaguar library.

It looks good, sounds great and is the most fun (especially when you cheat to use the best bike) you'll find that isn't Doom or Rayman. And I think it's like a $20.00 game still.
    Agreed it's not that bad a game and for me, it looked a hell of a lot more impressive than Gale Racer on the Saturn, even if that game was doing technically more. Given it was a 3rd party Jaguar game I but the budget for the game was peanuts too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post

That music sounds so Amiga like.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

The game was developed by a small team of demo scene developers. It is what it is.
    One of the things I really dislike about it is how the sense of the bike's weight is not there when throwing it from one side to another.
    And then there's the camera, which is on rails most likely to favor performance.
    And then there's the lack of basic sfx such as the skidding one.

And then the track design is poor in a lot of ways and the track courses are actually just ripoffs of F1 tracks of the time.
    Ex: Brazil's track is clearly a slightly modified Interlagos track; but then when you play it you realize how poor the racing engine is in terms of delivering the challenges that the said course would.
    This is one aspect where unknown and quite older games such as F1 Triple Battle, Fastest 1 and F1 Hero MD just rip it to shreds. And it's independent of the kind of vehicle you're using; it's more about how poorly/well your racing engine can "emulate" a track and its nuances.

The way the bike slides, accelerate/decelerate, the cornering/frame angle ratio, etc. It's all very, very, very watered down when compared to SHO.

And then the trackside objects are mostly mirrored from one side to another, come at you as streams of the same things; also likely due to the focus on performance.
    And then if you go out of the track it's like an invisible wall; similar to the Lotus games and unlike SHO.

By the way, in SHO the trackside objects have an important role in the track design and difficulty progression. In the harder tracks, the shrubs are placed, purposely, very near the curbs and the racing line so that you can't afford losing the apex of the corners and/or overspeeding. You can't abuse the inside of the corners anymore.
    You can also dribble some of the objects on the trackside if you lose a corner, 'cause that is still part of the track and the collision is calculated object-based. In these simplified engines, such as Lotus, Top Gear, Super Burnout, etc. you can't do that 'cause the trackside part is pretty much a void in terms of physics calcs and the objects there don't have proper collision boxes.

So, yeah, it runs great but it cuts a lot of corners to get there and as a racing game I find it really, really boring and unappealing.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-05-2021 at 11:26 PM.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Gamevet, are you sure you're not thinking of Daedelus Encounter on 3do? It was a sci-fi FMV game that starred Tia Carrere. It wasn't bad, and I played quite a bit of it years ago, but never finished it. It had at least 3 or 4 discs, and at some point I was just like, enough already. Haha

Edit: this one
    I watched Nextlander play this. Man lol that's something that was made alright.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hero of Algol

Power Drive Rally - The 3D racing games were terrible, but man, the 2D games were actually quite fun! This game feels like a 16-bit game on steroids, but it plays nice, and I like the level details too, given how minimalistic it feels.
    It's a good little game as its predecessor "Power Drive".
    It would be better if the perspective was a bit more isometric instead of top-down, so you'd be able to see more of the track.
    But I really like the colors in this one, at least make some use of the Jaguar hardware.

Ruiner Pinball - For anyone who likes video game pinball, I recommend this one, it's a personal favorite of mine and is up there with the best genesis/mega drive entries. Just great fun!
    I would say that either Devil Crash MD or Psycho Pinball are better than Ruiner Pinball, but in reality it's a bit of a unique game.
    It's definitely better than Crue Ball IMO though.

It was criminally underrated (panned, actually) when it was released. I think it has its own merits, like how tall and colorful the board is.
    The music sucks though.

Raiden - A respectable port, I had a lot of fun playing this one.
    For single player, there's little reason nowadays to play it over the MD version considering fusaru's patch.
    But it still has a much better 2P mode than the SNES version and which the MD port completely lacks.

I'd have ranked it lower.

Alien vs Predator - I personally find this game overrated, I don't think it's bad, I just think it offers less than it leads you to believe. It's fun, very hard, but also insanely repetitive at times. Playing as the Marine is quite scary in this one.
    No, it's not overrated. But the context back in 1994 was very different than it's now in 2021.

Some facts that shouldn't be ignored:
    - It was released 1 month prior to Jaguar's Doom. So, at release, there was nothing nowhere near as good looking as this on the system.
    - The role-based campaigns were quite innovative for the time and it actually started a pretty good FPS series.
    - The texture resolution and coloring are very good. It looked extremely good in screenshots (still does TBH) and the levels were considered "photorealistic" back then.
    - The sfx are high quality and faithful to the source material.
    - The transparent HUD was innovative for the time as well. I'd go as far as to say that Counter Strike's weapon shop screen reminds me of it quite a bit. N64's GoldenEye 007 also seem to have borrowed some ideas from it.
    - The geometry looks really solid, making the environments look more "real".

It sucks that the frame rate is a bit too low, there are some hit detection issues and the enemies animation is quite stiff.
    But all-in-all, it's a very good effort.
    People tend to compare it to Doom which is kinda unfair and doesn't make any sense IMO (even if for the level structure and RNG enemies alone). When you compare it to other corridor shooters you had back then, it holds up pretty well. It looks way better than 1995's Robotica (Saturn) for an example.

Also, I wouldn't really compare it to Alien Trilogy like everyone does. I think that game is quite more action-oriented and doesn't deliver the same horror atmosphere. The same for the Alien vs Predator PC games.

I'd say that PS1's Alien Resurrection is the only true sequel to it as far as the marine campaign goes.

Thread Information