Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Atari Jaguar Games

Default Your Favorite Atari Jaguar Games

Hoo boy! Unlike the Saturn, Sega CD, or even 32X...this console has a lot of bad games in my book. But I'd be curious if some people out there have more forgiving opinions about this console, as I felt it still had some gems hidden within its library (outside the obvious hits).

1. Rayman - Easily my favorite Jaguar game, it's so much fun in its own right and something the Jaguar desperately needed. Also, the PSX and Saturn versions are even better, not trashing this port when I say that, just being real.
    2. Super Burnout - A hidden Jaguar gem, and what might actually be the best successor to Hang-On I've ever played.
    3. Tempest 2000 - One of this console's flagship games, for better and for worse, the Jaguar was known for taking ancient arcade hits and giving them a modern sheen. This game is actually super fun however, and Llama Soft would go on to make a successor over a decade later with Space Giraffe! (also great!)
    4. Protector - A more modern take on Defender, this game actually had an addicting cycle with shops and wacky powerups. Loved this one.
    5. Power Drive Rally - The 3D racing games were terrible, but man, the 2D games were actually quite fun! This game feels like a 16-bit game on steroids, but it plays nice, and I like the level details too, given how minimalistic it feels.
    6. Ruiner Pinball - For anyone who likes video game pinball, I recommend this one, it's a personal favorite of mine and is up there with the best genesis/mega drive entries. Just great fun!
    7. Raiden - A respectable port, I had a lot of fun playing this one.
    8. Iron Soldier - Pretty cool mech game for its day, nice and simple, and very streamlined. It might not age well by today's standards, but I still think it's a fun ride.
    9. Attack of the Mutant Penguins - I have no right to list this game so high, but it has this weird gameplay loop that got me addicted. I can't even explain it, but it makes me laugh hard everytime I play it.
    10. Alien vs Predator - I personally find this game overrated, I don't think it's bad, I just think it offers less than it leads you to believe. It's fun, very hard, but also insanely repetitive at times. Playing as the Marine is quite scary in this one.
    11. Wolfenstein 3D - A great port, 'nuff said.
    12. Val d Isere - Not a bad snowboarding/skiing game, I can appreciate what it tries to do.
    13. Towers II - Actually a fun little dungeon crawling game, but also anti-climactic in that there's no final boss or anything. Game just ends.
    14. Ultra Vortek - Considering how miserable the fighting game selection is on the Jaguar, this game is a small beam of hope in that it's actually fun to play, unlike any of your other options...

Never played Doom, NBA Jam TE, Breakout 2000, Cannon Fodder, or Missile Command 2000.

What are your picks?
    Last edited by Milkymagic; 11-27-2021 at 01:18 PM.

I never had that many games for my Jaguar. Unlike most, I didn't really like Tempest or Alien Vs Predator. My fav game was Power Drive Rally
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

If I ever played a Jaguar it wasn't memorable enough to remember.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

I disagree with the notion that most of the Jag games are bad. It gained that reputation because people were rightfully disappointed in what it had to offer at the time; it wasn't up to snuff for a next-gen console. Judging by the standards of which we now apply to all "retro" gaming, I think most of the games range from average to good. With a few really shitty ones throw in at the bottom.

I agree with most of your list, from what I've played, although Rayman is not my favorite. I also really like Hover Strike, Cybermorph and Battlemorph. Also, Zero 5 is good shooter. Doom is a respectable port for it's time, no music though. Trevor McFur is an okay shoot-em-up. Atari Karts is an okay Mario Kart clone, and Dino Dudes is a decent Lemmings clone.

For a system which only has 40-some original games, far more of them are playable than what it's reputation suggests. Maybe not quite worth the price of admission, but shit, is anything these days? I'd almost say no.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I disagree with the notion that most of the Jag games are bad. It gained that reputation because people were rightfully disappointed in what it had to offer at the time; it wasn't up to snuff for a next-gen console. Judging by the standards of which we now apply to all "retro" gaming, I think most of the games range from average to good. With a few really shitty ones throw in at the bottom.

I agree with most of your list, from what I've played, although Rayman is not my favorite. I also really like Hover Strike, Cybermorph and Battlemorph. Also, Zero 5 is good shooter. Doom is a respectable port for it's time, no music though. Trevor McFur is an okay shoot-em-up. Atari Karts is an okay Mario Kart clone, and Dino Dudes is a decent Lemmings clone.

For a system which only has 40-some original games, far more of them are playable than what it's reputation suggests. Maybe not quite worth the price of admission, but shit, is anything these days? I'd almost say no.
    I think you might be right, it's more the selection is such a letdown in comparison to its competitors, but in reality it's number of duds aren't as large as I make them out to be I would imagine. It's just simply the impression I was left with I guess.

The problem I had with Atari Karts is not that it was a horrible game, but I felt the powerups were kind of boring. The tracks were alright at least, but I got bored of it quick personally. I could imagine the game being enjoyable if it had something like an attack powerup, but it was just something akin to an oil slick or something else. I would've liked a forward attack powerup to spice things up.

Trevor McFur was pretty bland for me, as I felt against any shmup of its era I don't think it even beats Sol Deace (which is my barometer for a decent, mostly enjoyable shmup). I didn't have a terrible time with it, but it felt like it was missing something, like an awesome soundtrack or something. It's at least wacky enough for me to leave a bit of an impression.

Cybermorph was pretty painful for me personally, it was a brave step forward for the time, but I couldn't see diddly squat and crashed into everything under the sun, while being asked where I learned to fly. It's not a bad game, but you need to know the lay of the land to really benefit from a playthrough. I haven't played Battlemorph, but from what I saw, it looked quite impressive in comparison. Hover Strike looked neat too.

Zero 5 was really hard for me to play, but I recognize there's a quality game in that one, I just couldn't find those kernels of joy is all.

Hyper Force wasn't bad either, and Skyhammer was a great showcase for what the Jaguar could do. They're both not huge favorites, but I find them decent titles.

Now if you want straight up bad there's Kasumi Ninja, Checkered Flag, Club Drive, Fight For Life, Bubsy Fractured Furry Tails, and Double Dragon V.

Jaguar has some good games but similar to the 3DO, you just hit a wall after the top ten-or-so titles.

So the "favorites" are typically in the same conversation with the "best" games the system has to offer.

Doom, Iron Soldier, Power Drive Rally, Rayman, Super Burnout and Tempest 2000 are all I own.

If you can find one game that you enjoy playing then a console is worth owning.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The Jaguar library feels like a bunch of European software that was meant to run on the Amiga and Atari ST computers, but was ported to the console. Tempest 2000 is the shining moment for the console, but after that it feels like just a bunch of tech demos and freeware you'd get with your computer magazine. I'm sure that Rayman is a fine piece of software, but I've never liked European platformers.

I can only give a top 5, because none of the rest really deserve to be listed higher than the others.

1 - Tempest 2000: I loved Tempest in the arcades, and this game is like a red bull fueled disco trip down memory lane.

2 - Wolfenstein 3D: It's a solid port of the PC game that was the start of Doom.

3 - Iron Soldier: Yeah, the graphics are pretty rudimentary, but the gameplay is there. It's a little slow and it's certainly no Mech Warrior.

4 - Syndicate: A pen and paper game gets a Jaguar translation of the videogame that was also put out on the 16-bit computers and the SNES. This one is said to be a bit different, and it's a pretty hard game to beat. There's a little bit of everything going on with this one.

5 - Power Drive Rally: It's a pretty cool overhead dirt rally game. There's not a ton of tracks and sometimes the camera angles make it hard to see what's coming up, but still a pretty decent racer.

I would put Alien Vs. Predator on my list, but the piss poor frame-rate, along with the slow moving walls gave me motion sickness for some reason.

The rest of the games that I own.

Trevor McFurr in the Crescent Galaxy
    Cybermorph
    Double Dragon V
    Troy Aikman Football
    Supercross 3D
    Checkered Flag
    I-War
    Zool 2
    Theme Park (Kind of sucks without an option to save your progress)
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

A lot of the games mentioned in this thread were panned for good reason tbh

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I haven't played that many Jaguar games at length. Of those I've beaten, I'd say I enjoyed Cybermorph and Hover Strike quite a bit, in that "crunchy mid-1990s early 3D" sort of way. Cybermorph is a very methodical game, not remotely akin to Star Fox. Hover Strike is cut from similar cloth.

Trevor McFur was bland in the extreme but playable enough. Kasumi Ninja is trash, though with a small amount of camp value.

As for games I haven't completed, I played Super Burnout a little while ago but wasn't as taken with it as I expected to be -- it's technically impressive but the gameplay didn't click with me (yet). Skyhammer seems ambitious as hell though its reputation for crashing makes me nervous. AirCars seemed like a dumbed-down Hover Strike. Iron Soldier intrigues me, need to learn the controls better. Protector SE was unexpectedly fun and Battlesphere Gold sucked me in for a good 25-30 minutes.

I need to play more Jaguar, as the Game Drive is a slick piece of kit. Looking forward to full CD support, i.e. including Memory Track saves.

Road Rasher

Rayman, Doom, Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier 1/2, Wolfenstein 3D, NBA Jam TE, Raiden, Super Burnout, Missile Comand 3D, Battlemorph.

Yeah, half the games I like are available on other systems... But at least itís no Philips CDi

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    Yeah, half the games I like are available on other systems... But at least itís no Philips CDi
    I don't get if it's out on another system myself. I just care if it's out on my main system I happen to like . Also, there are some really nice games on the CDi, well if you like FMV style of games. I feel mind if the Jaguar or the CDi was your main or only system, it must have been a bad time LOL. I've always liked the CDi myself LOL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I don't get if it's out on another system myself. I just care if it's out on my main system I happen to like . Also, there are some really nice games on the CDi, well if you like FMV style of games. I feel mind if the Jaguar or the CDi was your main or only system, it must have been a bad time LOL. I've always liked the CDi myself LOL
    Do you mean live-action or animated by chance? I remember liking games like Time Gal and Road Avenger back in the day, Dragon's Lair and Brain Dead 13 were cool too.

Speaking of Jaguar and FMV games, I guess American Hero was released not too long ago, and I guess that was an unreleased Jaguar CD FMV game which is interesting. I'll probably pick that up because it looks so funny.

The CDi had a couple of Sci-Fi fmv games with live actors in an interactive environment. I believe one was called Burn Cycle. Tia Carerra starred in one of them. They pretty much had the actors filmed on green screen and then used CGI backdrops.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Cycle
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Gamevet, are you sure you're not thinking of Daedelus Encounter on 3do? It was a sci-fi FMV game that starred Tia Carrere. It wasn't bad, and I played quite a bit of it years ago, but never finished it. It had at least 3 or 4 discs, and at some point I was just like, enough already. Haha

Edit: this one

Yeah, I thought that the game was on multiple CD platforms.

It turns out that it was just on PC, MAC and 3DO. The fame was ported to the 3DO from the PC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daedalus_Encounter

Thread Information