Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stopping Grinch Bots Act - New Law to control down scalping of popular items

Possession and ownership are two different things but at least one is required before something can be stolen and applying such principles online is difficult to say the least. IMO you only possess something (online) when the item is reserved for you to work out the financial details in the brief amount of time allotted. Companies do not care who buys the products as long as purchases are made and that's a huge reason why "scalping" and bots are well exercised practices when it comes to VHTF goods. Best Buy did make OLED's available to those with the geek squad membership thing but it also made it available to those with a free rewards membership. Believe me, I watched it transpire online. Batches rotated and it did not allow a Johnny-Come-Lately to reap the benefits or outdo those who were prior customers. If the person who relies on bots to acquire X amount of consoles is wrong, so is the individual who keeps checking websites or walking to a store and scoring gaming gold.

Ticket scalping? The dredges of society telling the public for how much they can sell THEIR item? Preposterous is how I define it. Our government was more than fine with scalping Morgan silver dollars in the 1970's but that was fine since it was crooks who devised such a scheme. Ironically though, our government acts just like the companies who choose to look the other way. More specifically, the United States Mint. It might and I stress might place a limit on items but that isn't an absolute and many times there isn't a household limit. Our congressmen interjecting themselves is extremely piss poor comedy.

The frustration is warranted and understood but the way around it is the issue at hand.

I agree that this question is thornier than many would have it be for the person choosing to do the reselling. I resold games a lot of years, and basically sold off all of my collection by 2016. I used to buy games at the flea market and flip them for 5x, 10x, one time 250x the price I paid. I put in the work educating on what was scare and rare and what was common. Is this inherently wrong? I still dont think it is. Is coding a bot to get the item first really any different from waiting in line at midnight-5AM before a store opens to get scarce goods? Or digging through goodwill to find the gem in a pile of crap? It is hard to see the difference. Middlemen are always frowned upon in some sense, but in others you could argue that they more easily deliver a product to an individual who didn't have to go find it, particularly with used goods. Why comb through thrift stores and clean dirty crap when someone else can do it at cost? The ticket reseller is a little murkier because they might be able to get to the box office before anyone else does, or they could be the folks that take free tickets off of the hand of someone who doesnt need them and cant sell them, and sell to the person whose demand came in after the box office closed, serving as a continuation of the box office at a different, possibly deflated possibly inflated price.

I still maintain my position though that the fault 100% lies with the companies who sit on IP rights in the digital age waiting for the right moment to re-release or favorable terms. Just look at the Harmony Gold/Tatsunoko fiasco over Macross 82-99. This is more of a uniquely software (with minimal hardware) phenomenon.

If McDonalds stops making hamburgers, I can go buy a replacement good down the street at some other restaurant that will undoubtedly open. But if George Lucas doesn't want to re-release the original Star Wars, or SEGA refuses to re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga, or Nintendo decides they will only make 1,000,000 NES Classic Minis and then discontinue them, that is the fault of the manufacturer who deliberately creates scarcity. The worst is still the Supremes of the world who announce in advance there will only be X number of hoodies when they know that demand greatly dwarfs supply, which then causes greater demand because the middlemen jump into the line waiting and bot coding for resell value to make a buck.

At least you know stadiums can only hold so many. There is NO reason why all games cannot get an infinitely available digital release. Someone mentioned the WiiU/Switch a while back. This is why I refuse to buy a new console. I am not paying money for hardware so I can pay money for a monthly subscription service to play games. They can kiss my ass, I'll stuck with my hacked Wii, PSP, and Nintendo DS right now.

Still salty that games like Cing's Last Window for DS and Panzer Dragoon Saga have no way of re-release because one company went bankrupt and the other has their head up their ass. Copyright law should honestly be use it or lose it after 10 years. Not create something then sell to companies and sit on it for 80 years. I'll be dead before Macross: Do You Remember Love makes it officially to Blu-Ray.

Ultimately, here are my tips:

Buy physical media or replicatable digital media at all times on principal (NEVER subscription services. Looking at Mario 35)

Use open source software at all times, even if you pay for it (I have done this with some Android apps such as FairEmail.)

Donate to open data and open source software projects, like KOReader, etesync, Pale Moon, the Web Archive, EFF, FSF, GNU, Linux Foundation, Mozilla Foundation, Apache, Libreoffice, and many more. Use Gnudb and Kodi over Gracenote and Roku.

The more we cut down on obsoleted hardware and buy media that the company doesn't control, the more power as consumers we will have. It is why I do not buy consoles anymore, you're basically paying a company for the privilege of paying a company. No thanks. I built my own PC and run Linux. I use a 2012 eReader running KOReader and get all my ebooks from Project Gutenberg, the Web Archive, and other free sources. Every Star Trek novel can be bought without DRM.

And most of all, don't pirate goods that are easily purchasable. It is how we got into this mess in the first place.
    Last edited by Baloo; 12-17-2021 at 02:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

Baloo, you're exactly right. With new consoles you never truly own the games; even if you have physical media you're still dependent on how long the servers stay up. I dumped the keys from my Switch so I could decrypt and backup all my games, when it dies I'll run them in emulation. DRM only hurts low information gamers who can't mod a console.

I wish I could go fully open source too. Unfortunately I haven't found replacements for Pro Tools or the Adobe Creative apps yet, so that means I still need Windows and Mac OS for the foreseeable future.

It was often said SEGA were one step ahead of the rest, that is true for shortages LOL. Love looking around and finding old crap in mum's garage

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information