Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Grinch Bots Act - New Law to control down scalping of popular items

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Thumbs up Stopping Grinch Bots Act - New Law to control down scalping of popular items

That's right, a law that might finally push back scalpers is in the works.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/democrats-...ing-christmas/

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Yeah they tried in 2019. Hopefully this time it sticks but not getting my hopes up.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The government decides what is considered popular?

"Our Grinch Bots Act works to level the playing field and prevent scalpers from sucking hard-working parents dry this holiday season." Yet it is fine when the government sucks tax payers dry?

Just allow us to beat the snot out of these people with impunity, and we'll call it even. If someone could just drop-kick the one dude into his mega-stack of scalped up hand sanitizer, that would be the tits.

I still say, marketplaces should take it upon themselves to do the moral thing, and disallowed new products priced over MSRP for an extended period of time following release. Simple strategy, allows time for supply to catch up to real demand. If you can't flip it, then they won't buy it.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

This should have happened back in January, not a little over 3 weeks before the holiday season. It's pretty much a joke, at this point.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

I just buy unpopular items instead. Plenty of gems to be found there.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Thank goodness for the government. Remember when they got rid of robocallers, pedophiles, murderers, drugs, alcohol, with legislation? Those dark days are long past, thanks to new laws.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I just buy unpopular items instead. Plenty of gems to be found there.
    ^^ this is the way to go. If nobody bids on items priced hundreds of dollars over MSRP, people will stop buying to resell.

Anyway Rich Blumenthal is an idiot. I miss the days of Linda McMahon calling him out on his bullshit.

In my view anything that curbs even some of this behavior is beneficial, even if it does not eliminate it. The fact is that anything sold with scarcity in 2021 has an ease of being hyper inflated because it is easy to relist and resell in a matter of seconds, and people are dumb enough to pay 4-5x over list with it. You see it with Supreme streetwear. You saw it with the NES Classic Mini. And you see it with anything that has been discontinued, when sellers will list something of which there is less than 10 of on the internet at any given time at an outrageous price. It works because some sucker decides a Donkey Kong Country cassette tape is worth $600, or they can't complete their life without some intentionally scarce made trinket.

Frankly, Limited Editions are what cause this nonsense. Companies should have supply meet demand on all their goods unless there is an environmental or ethical concern. Not intentionally create scarcity in order to drum up business and scare people.

Nintendo is a master of this. They made Super Mario 3D All-Stars discontinued and sold enough copies to make $500 Million dollars on 8.32 million copies of a game sold at $60 each.

Resist consumerism, dont fall for this nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

All-Stars? Of course the interweb lost their minds when Nintendo announced the game would be pulled from production in March of '21 although nine months later it is still readily available in your average B&M establishment. The game was never scarce and never will be.

The government is acting like the alcoholic believing he is holier than thou when it comes to the junkie. Taxing people out their asses is fine yet the individual selling goods at a higher than MSRP price is where the line is crossed? I understand both p.o.v.'s but is it the place of the government to stop the reselling of an item that is not a necessity? If I want to be blind and give someone double the price for a PS5, that's on me. Now I wouldn't be foolish and reckless but that needs to be my choice.

On an unrelated note I knew Suzanne Goldklang looked familiar. She was with the local ABC affiliate for a few years but I see now she is wading into serious topics!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Nintendo is a master of this. They made Super Mario 3D All-Stars discontinued and sold enough copies to make $500 Million dollars on 8.32 million copies of a game sold at $60 each.
    That was simply a way for Nintendo to recoup the costs of developing emulators for the Switch. Give them time and you'll be able to play those games and more for one convenient monthly fee. Nintendo has decided you can no longer buy their back catalog, you can only rent it. Guess I'll be keeping my Wii U hooked up for awhile longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    The government is acting like the alcoholic believing he is holier than thou when it comes to the junkie. Taxing people out their asses is fine yet the individual selling goods at a higher than MSRP price is where the line is crossed? I understand both p.o.v.'s but is it the place of the government to stop the reselling of an item that is not a necessity? If I want to be blind and give someone double the price for a PS5, that's on me. Now I wouldn't be foolish and reckless but that needs to be my choice.
    Correct, the government should stay out of this. People blow money on stupid stuff all the time, we don't need Rich Blumenthal to play price czar to protect us.

They just need to illegalize the use of purchase bots.itís no different than walking over to my shopping cart and stealing the item.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Actually it is different than such an example.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Actually it is different than such an example.
    No itís not. You can have an item in you online cart and by the time you can hit pay, a bot has not only bought the item in your cart, itís also bought up the item from another person or two. Itís like cutting to the front of the line and taking it out of your cart while doing so.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    No itís not. You can have an item in you online cart and by the time you can hit pay, a bot has not only bought the item in your cart, itís also bought up the item from another person or two. Itís like cutting to the front of the line and taking it out of your cart while doing so.
    While unethical, it is not illegal to take something from someone else's cart in a store, take it to checkout and buy it. The person with it in their cart has no ownership rights yet, it still belongs to the store until the cost has been paid to the store.

If you've ever dealt with crazy people at thrifts you would not be surprised how much cart stealing happens. Saw a dude pick up a shoe to examine it (looked like a high end loafer) and another guy nearby took the other shoe. Neither refused to give up their mismatch, yelling occurred, in the end, each just bought his half of a shoe from what I saw. Not illegal and the thrift didn't care, they still got their money.

Same with Best Buy, Walmart and all of them, they don't seem to care unless they get paid. Though the "premium membership" model seems to work as a bit of a deterrent.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information