Quantcast

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Haul thread: Electric Boogaloo

Got this last month and really kicking myself for not paying attention to Nichibutsu's gaming soundtracks. Some really A+ stuff here.

This is spring through first half of summer 2022 haul. A lot of racing games, shooters, a few RPGs, some odds and ends. Some PS3 staples I've neglected to grab for years; I'm just now getting around to the Ratchet and Clank series for the first time ever. Some more obscure Wii titles. I don't have a PS5 yet, but I'm actively looking for one and figured I might as well start building the physical library, as it's looking more and more like it will be my console of choice this gen.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I may not like Star Wars but I have nostalgia for Ep 1 Racer and until recently not played it since it was released.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Remake Geist Force!

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Recent pickups:

Game Boy:
    Donkey Kong Land 3

Famicom:
    Road Fighter

SNES/SFC:
    Chrono Trigger (SFC)
    Hook

Genesis:
    Hook

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Nice, Leynos, Soul Hackers 2. I didn't even know that game was in the works before it was released (shows you how much I pay attention) - and it was also released for PS4! That's one I'm gonna have to pick up one of these days as I enjoyed the first one.

Late summer haul. Going HARD on the collecting, perhaps a bit too hard.

I never realized Airforce Delta was such a rip-off of Ace Combat... but holy crap, even the sound effects and everything are lifted straight from it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Daang. Hopefully you will be able to make a Secret Santa list this year!

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

I love Air Force Delta. I played a ton of it on the Dreamcast.

I picked up these this week.

Attached Images Attached Images
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I love this thread btw guys. Always interesting to see what random goodies you've snatched up that I've never seen or heard of before.
    05/05/15

Remake Geist Force!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I picked up a CIB copy of Alisia Dragoon whilst on holiday yesterday.

A lot of fall pickups, already. Went to Cleveland Gaming Classic the other weekend, but most of this actually wasn't from the show.

Knocking a few more off of my Saturn list. The western library is often maligned as crappy, but I love this kinda stuff. I love 5th gen, early 3D, low poly.

Thunder Strike 2 by Core is one I've sought after for some time. When did this simple arcade shoot and blow things up style gameplay become obsolete? Who deemed it shitty? TS2 got high scores from EGM back in it's day. These sorts of games were considered really good... so why do they get slept on and written off so hard nowadays?

Black Dawn is a game by Black Ops which also developed Agile Warrior on the PS (which is another one I really wanna get). Plays very similar, it's almost like a sequel in spirit.

Soveit Strike Sadly relevant subject matter for the day, but I've actually never played any of the Strike series. It looks really cool, kinda like the aforementioned flight based shooters but a top-down perspective.

Tunnel B1 This is an oddity. It suffers from a terrible tittle and terrible 90's cover art, but it's another shooter in a similar vein to Descent but on fixed pathways or... tunnels I guess? It's cool.

Gun Griffon Been on my wish list for ages, looks like a fantastic mech FPS. Way underrated by the Saturn loving crowd. Why does no one mention this game?

Independence Day Way over-hated, has a terrible reputation. It's just another arcade flight based shooter, and I see nothing wrong with it other than being just an average shooter in a market that was kinda saturated at the time. Radical Entertainment sort of began as a peddler of shovelware garbage, but ended on a high note with games like Prototype. ID4 was kind of somewhere in the middle of that evolution.

Slam and Jam 96 I randomly discovered this. Crystal Dynamics made a basketball game? It touts some sim aspects, but this is arcade game at heart. It's face paced, over the top dunks, easy to play, and the third person perspective is cool. If you're tired of the NBA Jam affair, give this a look.

Defcon 5 This is an interesting game. It looks like an FPS, but really it's more of an adventure/survival/strategy type of game. Really unique and ambitious idea for it's time. I don't always like the super cryptic type games, but this one is intriguing.

THE Mansion of Hidden Souls Recently learned that this is NOT just a port of the SCD game. It's kind of a walking sim for the Saturn, and is said to be a bit on the easy side. That's good, because I'm bad at adventure puzzles.

Daytona USA I've had this game for 20 years as a disc only... so now I have a case and manual. Unfortunately not the best version, IMO.

ESPN Extreme Games X-TREME racing on boards, bikes and blades. This would have blown my balls off back in the day, had I owned a PS.

Kileak This is an odd FPS from Japan. Corridor shooting and managing your battery supply, it's weird, but cool. Has a sequel called Epidemic.

Return Fire This is awesome. Just choose a vehicle and blow the fuck out of things, and capture the flag. It's glorious, mindless fun.

Tiger Shark Another little known flight based shooter! This one takes place below (and above) water.

3 Xtreme Trying to get all of these. I've yet to find part 2.

Grand Tour Racing 98 Just another obscure racing game that no one has ever heard of. Very arcade, very 90's, lots of variety, very cool.

Turbo Prop Racing How could you not like a power boat racing game? This was published by Sony. Yeah, a first party game. Interesting.

Bug Riders How could you not want to race giant insects as you whip them to go faster?

Killing Zone I love these early 3D fighters with a roster of odd and bizarre characters.

Rage Racer The last RR game that I didn't have. Some say that this one is actually the best in series, we'll see.

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 The start of my wrestling game collection. I used to play these back in the day, and fell out of them. I kinda now just view these as a type of fighting game. The N64 ones were so damn good, and this was one that I never actually played. There's several on the N64 that I wanna get.

Army Men Air Combat Just a scrolling shooter, spin-off on the Army Men series. Looks solid. I'd really like to get the Sarge's Heroes games.

Wayne Kretzky's 3D Hockey First hockey game in my collection. It's another fast paced arcade game from 90's era Midway. Probably the only Hockey game I'll ever need.

Oops! Prank Party It's just a party game, but I believe it's the last Hudson Soft Wii game I didn't have, so I wanted to snag it. The Wii was Hudson's last hurrah before Konami shat all over and buried their legacy under a landfill of pachinko machines.

Here are some pick-ups from the past few months.

GAIARES just arrived yesterday and I forgot it included a T-Shirt.

Strictly Limited's Panorama Cotton release was a great way to get an expensive game for a normal price. I have the Japanese version but I do like collecting and supporting these licensed re-issues. I hope they continue.

Cleopatra's Curse is a good game. I'm about 50% through and despite the mediocre graphics it's a lot of fun (sometimes a bit frustrating because of the whip mechanic). If there's room for Indie titles in your collection you should watch for the next batch; which is coming.

Andro Dunos II is a good shooter. The games menu and limited options feel pretty basic but the game itself it solid and fun. I still haven't beat level 5 but I found I like going back and replaying the previous levels for high scores. I don't normally bother with scores but I found it was a good option for when I didn't have the stamina to try and tackle level 5 again.

Gear Shifters also feels very basic in areas but the gameplay is good. It's not as good as Andro Dunos II but I am enjoying it so far.

Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Thread Information