Quantcast

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Haul thread: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    First time playing Rez. Yeah, I know. How dare me. Liked what I played a lot. I was always under the impression it was just a rhythm game and I don't like those. No one told me it was a shooter. Yeah, an atmoswave game. And the mission stick I have wanted for over 20 years but never had the right opportunity nor price where it seemed worth it. I got this one really inexpensive and in good shape. I don't even know what I will play on it. Just to me way back then I thought it was the coolest, sleekest most futuristic peripheral much like the DC itself back then.
    Rez is awesome for me the 2nd best game SEGA made in their history, just wait until you play Aera 5 for the 1st time and the Mission stick is an awesome pickup. I love mind

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Today's hoard. First Valkyria game I've ever owned, and it's the one everybody hates... just how I like it. I thought Genesis Alpha looked like a cool survival game, and I'm going on all in on WRC for the PS4 since I'm getting the Dirt games on Xbox. Concrete Genie came highly recommend from a channel I watch, and Raid while it's co-op focused can be played solo.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

I picked up a 55" 120 Hz LG CX OLED television (with G-Sync/Free-Sync) today from Microcenter. It's replacing my 2009 52" Samsung 1080p (120 Pure motion) television that I'd bought for $1,500 that year. LG's OLED was ranked as the best display in 2020 and 2021 also had it ranked at the top spot. MicroCenter listed it as "Refurbished" since it was last year's model and the television is pretty much a new unit. I saved about $300 over buying the 2021 display.

Here's my old Samsung LCD running a PS4.

Here's the box of the new television showing off the technologies of the new display.

This television has amazing upscale technology. This 1080p Blu-Ray version of The Force Awakens looks stunning. I might not even need to buy 4K Blu-Ray movies, because of how well this television upscales everything.

You can see every detail in this scene, and the black bars aren't even visible.

Here's a screen capture of a 4K youtube video I'd made a couple of weeks ago, running Forza Horizon 5. It looks crazy good.

Here's a link to MicroCenter, for those that have a store in their area. My local store had 3 of them, but it's down to 2, since I bought one today.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...v-(refurbished)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Welcome to the CX gang and you need to buy an Ultra HDR player. Dolby Vision is incredible inthe likes of Mad Max , but sadly can't be shown in the screenshots

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I have a PC hooked up to it, but will likely get a 4k Roku.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Are you worried about burn in? My brother swears against ever owning an OLED because of that. He's a QLED fanatic. Not to deride, I'm one of those who just can't claim to notice the difference at a certain point with a picture. I can't really tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, HDR and not, 60 frames vs 120, etc. So I find cheap panels are good enough to suit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have a PC hooked up to it, but will likely get a 4k Roku.
    I have a Panasonic player and Dolby Vision is awesome on the CX for films and games . Also, love the 4K transfers to Starwars and love the Doly Atmos support too. I had the Skywalker collection off her for my birthday last year

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Are you worried about burn in? My brother swears against ever owning an OLED because of that. He's a QLED fanatic. Not to deride, I'm one of those who just can't claim to notice the difference at a certain point with a picture. I can't really tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, HDR and not, 60 frames vs 120, etc. So I find cheap panels are good enough to suit my needs.
    It has technology to dim an image, if itís on the screen for 2 long. Yeah, if I used it as an every day PC monitor, it most certainly suffer from Burn in. Itís main use will be movies, television and gaming.

And yes, you most certainly feel the difference between 60 and 120 fps with racing games. Racing games less than 60 fps feel sluggish.

I considered QLED, but those sets still have some back light bleeding from lighter objects. A 4K display will have 8.1 million pixels, while 1080p will have slightly more than a million. This set is a massive jump in quality over my 2009 52Ē Samsung LCD

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I have a Samsung 4K TV and a 4K Roku. Love them. Just not enough 4K content yet.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

I got a cheaper LG 55" 4k last year and it was massive jump from my old 32" 720p with massive burn in. It may be considered low end TV, but damn it looks great to my eyes... just not with DVDs. Those look like shit, even playing on a PS3.

I got a cheaper LG 55" 4k last year and it was massive jump from my old 32" 720p with massive burn in. It may be considered low end TV, but damn it looks great to my eyes... just not with DVDs. Those look like shit, even playing on a PS3.
    Did you have a Plasma? Those sets had excellent colors and were very close to that of a CRT.

I was seriously thinking about getting this Samsung QLED for $600 from MicroCenter, but I told myself that I would regret not waiting another week and getting the OLED.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tv(refurbished)

You really can't explain to someone about how cool a 120Hz display is for gaming. I highly recommend to anyone looking to get a 4K TV, to look into getting a 120 Hz model with Freesync. Dirt 5 supports 4K 120Hz on the PS5 and Series X and so do another 20 or so titles. You spend an extra $150 for a television that is more future proof than an old 60 Hz display.

Here's an example of the black levels of OLED. The stupid phone camera puts a little bit of bloom around the left side, but I assure you, it is pitch black.

Not to deride, I'm one of those who just can't claim to notice the difference at a certain point with a picture. I can't really tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, HDR and not, 60 frames vs 120, etc. So I find cheap panels are good enough to suit my needs.
    It doesn't matter which you get, you'll going to see a massive jump. I think that's also why many people seem to look to rubbish this gen, when they're viewing content on a bogstandard TV or watching it on YouTube and I don't mean that in a condescending way either
    4K was a huge jump in itself but top quality HDR/Dolby Vision and VRR are game changers. But sadly you need the tech to see and appreciate the difference.

Playing Daytona USA in HDR makes it look so bloody awesome for example

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

1080P to 4K is not the jump from 720P to 1080P. It feels minimal in comparison. It's nice but 720P to 1080P is a bigger jump. HDR is the real jump not the resolution.
    Last edited by Leynos; 02-04-2022 at 02:43 AM.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Nah, you still have to use a lot of AA to cover up the jagged edges of the images at 1080p to make it look good. Once you hit 1440p on a desktop monitor, you can keep AA down to a minimum, because of the pixel density. 4K doesn't need AA at all, because the pixel density is much greater than 1440p and 1080p.

I needed a faster HDMI cable to get 4K/120Hz.

Thread Information