Quantcast

Thread: A Winner Is You 2022 Edition...

Default A Winner Is You 2022 Edition...

A new year, and new games to beat. LET'S GO!

Currently Reviewing: Desert Strike (SMS), Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Finally knuckled down and got the Normal 1CC of GG Aleste 3. Amazing game with great and varied level design, pitch perfect difficulty.

And just followed that up with a Master System Aleste 1 life clear. It's actually easier to do that than lose a life, since you power down to nothing on death, and trying to build back up again without chain deathing is way more difficult. I had 49 lives in reserve by the end of the run.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Persona 5 Royal.

I finished Vanilla P5 in 2017. I kept hearing how much of an improvement Royal was. Finished it and they did make some cool changes. Was fun to play P5 again. I played Strikers last year and planned to play it again on PS4 but wore myself out on RPGs and persona for the moment.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Remake Geist Force!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

Super Mario World.

95 exits clear, can't for the life of me figure which level I'm missing (it's one of the normal exits I think) so I'm calling it beaten.
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

I just had a bicentennial win at the Google assistant's Movie Quiz game

Attached Images Attached Images

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

The first game I beat of 2022 is...

1. Shrek: Fairy Tale Freakdown - GBC

I got this game recently for a friend. For some reason, he wants all of the Shrek games and didn't have this one. I thought I'd pop it in to make sure it worked and beat it not too long after. It kind of feels like the developers went to the Shaq-Fu School of Game Creation before making this.

Just cleared Power Strike II Master System, normal difficulty, which put me 38th on the JP Switch leaderboard.

Went into the final boss with around 10 lives and proceeded to chain death through half that until he finally kicked the bucket and the credits rolled.

The skies of Italy are safe from the Sky Pirates once again.

Giga Wing. I know more people like this one over 2 but I don't see it. I like it but I much prefer Giga Wing 2.

Remake Geist Force!

DoDonpachi. I wanted to try this series for a while now. Finally have on Saturn. Man, I loved it. Not that I have had the chance to play all of Saturns shmups but this is with HyperDuel, Radiant Silver Gun among my fave Saturn shmups. Esp love that OST

Remake Geist Force!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Not too much activity here. This is what I've been up to:

2. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - PS2

I was in the mood for a JRPG's JRPG's JRPG's JRPG, and this game delivered. I liked the point system when leveling up and how it encouraged exploration early on. Unfortunately, there wasn't too much to find, and it was a bit longer than it had to be. The Monster Arena was a cool Dragon Quest Monsters throwback.

3. Space Channel 5 - Dreamcast

I'm not sure what it is about these types of games. I really dislike Guitar Hero and other similar games - they are probably better than I give them credit for, but this game an Um Jammer Lammy type games... I probably like them a lot more than they are good. I think the way the story was presented, the way the game held itself, and even the voice acting helped everything play up. I also really like the short length - I don't think it needed to be any longer.

4. Golden Sun - GBA

I had been meaning to play this one for quite a while and had a good time. I liked how you could equip different djinn to access different areas on the overworld map, and it was implemented pretty well. Now, I have to get my hands on the second one...

5. Marvel Land - Genesis

I like the art and aesthetic of this game a lot. There is a bit of clunkiness to the controls, but it isn't anything gamebreaking and the password system is handy (especially when you don't know where you might get teleported).

6. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PS4

This game was pretty great. It would have gotten pretty old had it been any longer (it might have been a taaad too long), and I enjoyed myself.

7. Kid Niki: Radical Ninja - NES

A solid game for what it was, and the boss designs are cool. Definitely gotta pick your spots when you jump though.

8. Golden Axe: Beast Rider - PS3

I remember hearing a lot of bad things about this, and I kind of agreed at first. The more I played it though, the less bad it felt. Not great by any means though - the gameplay was definitely lacking.

9. Spice World - PS1

I remember how big of a deal this movie was when it first game out, but I only watched it for the first time last year. I was looking for a PS1 game to play and pulled this one out when I came across it and remembered that I got it at the Goodwill Bargain bin for a quarter quite some time ago. This game definitely sucks, but I like that it exists. The bonus interviews at the end are longer than the game, and I'd say it was worth a quarter.

10. Renegade - NES

At first, the controls for this game felt awkward. After a while though, they made sense, and this game ended up feeling pretty good to play. This is a much better beat 'em up than I thought it was going to be. I probably would have loved this game had I played it when it came out.

11. Dead or Alive - Saturn

I never know what to expect when I pop in a fighting game. Normally, I am terrible at them. I actually liked this one quite a bit though. The game encourages you to play defensively, and it felt more apt to my play style than a lot of fighters do. The boob physics are a bit ridiculous though.

12. Magic: The Gathering Battlegrounds - Xbox

I was in the mood for a CCG of sorts, but this didn't really deliver. I thought there were some good ideas implemented with MTG abilities, but there just weren't enough options for it to reach its potential. I would be interested to see this attempted again.

13. Pong: The Next Level - GBC

I beat each game individually then the last option where they are all combined, so I suppose this is beaten? I could see this being fun if you could use a link cable to play against a friend. Otherwise, I think I'm probably done with it.

14. Revolution X - Genesis

This game is bad. For some reason, I kept wanting to play it. Not sure exactly what that drive is, but it definitely isn't anything that has to do with the gameplay. Maybe it's the ridiculousness and that it seems like it should be fun based on the genre?

15. Enchanted Arms - PS3

I was in the mood for a tactics game, and this is the one that found its way into a console. Similar to the MTG game, it didn't really scratch the itch. I actually enjoyed it though despite it being longer than it felt like it should have been. It kind of felt like a generic RPG, but it also seemed like it was making fun of generic RPG tropes. The music also made it feel different from your typical RPG setting. I also thought it was kind of funny how similar this game is (from a gameplay standpoint) to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. That's another game I enjoyed more than how good I thought it was.

16. Light Crusader - Genesis

I was expecting more of an action/adventure type of game, but this was really a puzzle game first. For what it was, I found it enjoyable. The main downside is that almost everything was a bit easier than it felt like it should have been.

17. Saint Sword - Genesis

It had been years since I played this one. I remember it being much harder than it actually is. Maybe the difficulty came from not getting used to the (clunky) controls. Although the fish guy was really tight and good, but that's about it. This is one of those games that didn't end up living up to what it could have been.

18. Rumble Roses - PS2

According to my notes, a couple of people and I started the story mode for this game back at the end of 2018. After completing one, we decided all story modes had to be completed to consider this game beaten. Just finishing one didn't really leave us with any sense of satisfaction. This game was sitting right next to my PS2 in the living room since then, and I have been chipping away at it. Finally took it out. This is one of those games where, if they had taken it more seriously by writing better stories/dialogue, done better voice acting, etc., it probably would have taken away form the enjoyability factor. Not a good game by any means, but I consider it a fun experience despite the repetitiveness.

19. Ico - PS2

As I was going through Rumble Roses, the PS2 that has been my main one stopped reading discs. I wasn't getting an error - it would start to boot the game then go right back to the browser. I looked through my memory cards while I was there and noticed that I still had my saved data for Ico. I decided to revisit that game next as I stopped playing it at the time because I don't think I was in the right mindset for it. (Fixing the PS2 ended up being easy - just gave it a nice, thorough cleaning.) I'm really glad I came back to this one as it hit the spot this time and was an enjoyable experience. There are a lot of aspects here that would be annoying in other games, but they were done so purposefully that the overall experience was enhanced by them - especially while looking back at it.

20. Dead or Alive 2 - Dreamcast

I enjoyed the first one earlier and thought I'd try out the second. I feel like the first one felt better to play (maybe it was the controller? I'd have to try both of them again), but pretty much everything else was improved here. Less boobydiculous too. I also appreciate the (sometimes ridiculous) cutscenes between matches. As someone who isn't huge into fighting games, I am enjoying these.

21. Battle Arena Toshinden - PS1

Thought I'd try another fighting game and... this one wasn't as enjoyable for me. The camera can be a bit disorienting in the moment, and the time it takes to face the correct direction seems like it takes too long. I could see myself enjoying it more if I spend more time with it though.
    Last edited by BubsyFan1; 09-17-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: No new posts, so I just added to this one.

Cleared Forgotten Worlds MD Normal difficulty on 1 life a while back, 1CC'd Hard too. I think it's my favourite of the Sega Capcom ports.

Since I got an Everdrive recently I've been digging in to the MS library and playing around with it's shooters a bit. Definitely slim pickings in that regard, but I cleared the first loop of Submarine Attack at least.

It's 'sister game' Aerial Assault, has stuff in common with P-47 Freedom Fighter (including having it's working title of Freedom Fighter, apparently). It's strangely compelling, despite having some extremely trollish aspects to the gameplay, dodging unwanted power ups makes the ones in Fire Shark look easy sometimes 😁

Thread Information