Quantcast

Thread: pw_32X's Game Development Thread

Hero of Algol

32X pw_32X's Game Development Thread

https://twitter.com/pw_32x

"Working on Untitled Sega 32X Game. No idea where it'll go, but let's do it anyway."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Thanks to Barone for starting the thread!

I've posted primarily on Twitter so far but I wanted a place like here to write larger posts and share major milestones. There's also a more technical thread (where I basically just act like a noob) on SpritesMind here if anybody is interested.

Thanks!

Wildside Expert

Good luck looking forward to following your progress.

32X

Finally reached the point where I could mess around with using the second CPU and the results are very promising.

I split the scaled sprite drawing routine across both cpus. The main cpu draws the top half of the sprite and the second cpu draws the bottom half. It was a sloppy implementation but it still gave me a ~10fps framerate boost. I had been hovering around 30 on hardware this week which was worrying me a bit so getting more performance room is real nice.

It's currently only for the "game field" objects, so just the spheres, sphere shadows, trees and player. I'll convert the clouds to use it too, as well as the screen clearing. I plan to use the second cpu a lot more. It was a lot more straightforward than I expected.

pw.jpg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

Soooooo, whatcha do-in?

Is it going to be a prop plane version of Afterburner?

Looks good!

Wow, 32x homebrew development is quite rare. Are you making use of the 2nd CPU out of necessity or simply trying to do it because why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    Soooooo, whatcha do-in?
    Is it going to be a prop plane version of Afterburner?
    It's most likely going to be some flying shooty thing. It's a prop plane because that's only what I could manage to model in Blender

I sure would like to attempt a racing game, though! Next time.

I don't have a lot of gameplay ideas for flying shooyet. One idea is since the plane is generally set closer to the ground than in Afterburner, I'd like to have ground-based enemies that are more than just targets. Stuff like high speed tanks and train bosses.

Another is to have larger targets in the sky like airships.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    Looks good!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Are you making use of the 2nd CPU out of necessity or simply trying to do it because why not?
    Totally necessary. One CPU doesn't give enough pixel drawing throughput. I've been pushing the main CPU as much as my modest skills could manage and I wasn't coming close to matching Afterburner 32X's prodigious pixel pushing prowess. Using the second CPU was the only remaining avenue for getting better performance.

Spent the week continuing to work on the screen clearing system. It's the system where only the dirty parts of the screen are erased. The idea was to save time by not clearing the entire screen every frame. After much experimentation, including splitting the work across both CPUs, it turns out that the simplest brute force method is best. I'm using the 32x fill function to clear the entire screen at once on the main cpu, before splitting the drawing work across both cpus.

At least I know which method (out of three I've tried) works best. I'm about 49 - 50fps on hardware for a static scene.

Probably the next thing that I need to look at is game object sorting. it's ridiculously expensive.

I did look at object sorting and it turned out it wasn't expensive at all. It was all the code around queueing up objects to render and doing the 3d projection math before sorting them that was horribly expensive. Did an optimization pass and knocked down the time it took to about a third of what it was. Currently struggling to find easy optimization wins.

Thread Information