Quantcast

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So M$ is gobbling up Activision/Blizzard!?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You don't want Microsoft owning Sega.
    I don't want any console maker owning publishers. Cannibalize and playing monopoly hurts the industry.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Yeah, lest we forget Rare. Once a maker of legendary proportion, bought my Microsoft, and then relegated to producing Kinect Sports for years. A waste of talent, like handing Leonardo da Vinci a mop and bucket. But it's a different era, different priorities and goals hopefully.

Rare at least exists technically but Lionhead and other studios MS shut down. Not to the same degree but kinda like EA bought so many studios and shut them down after a few years. That's what this future will be. Persona would just die on Xbox. MS is a joke in Japan. People who want an industry run by megacorps are short-sighted. People are still pissed with good reason how Disney owns half of Hollywood now. I don't like Bethesda or Activision but stuff like this just is not healthy. The more a big corp owns the more they can control and manipulate the consumer to do whatever since they have no other option. Kinda like US Cable/ISP companies do.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Rare at least exists technically but Lionhead and other studios MS shut down. Not to the same degree but kinda like EA bought so many studios and shut them down after a few years. That's what this future will be. Persona would just die on Xbox. MS is a joke in Japan. People who want an industry run by megacorps are short-sighted. People are still pissed with good reason how Disney owns half of Hollywood now. I don't like Bethesda or Activision but stuff like this just is not healthy. The more a big corp owns the more they can control and manipulate the consumer to do whatever since they have no other option. Kinda like US Cable/ISP companies do.

Sony bought Psygnosis, who made PlayStation games like the Wipeout series, Colony Wars, Lemmings and several other franchises that are no longer around. Sony shut down that studio sometime @ 2012.

I love the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series. Why you want to hate on that?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Sony bought Psygnosis, who made PlayStation games like the Wipeout series, Colony Wars, Lemmings and several other franchises that are no longer around. Sony shut down that studio sometime @ 2012.

I love the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series. Why you want to hate on that?
    No one mentioned Sony. But yes they also are guilty of closing studios. It sucks. When I said it wasn't healthy despite me not liking those games is not healthy for the industry when mega-corps gobble everything up.
    Last edited by Leynos; 01-20-2022 at 01:55 AM.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

No one mentioned Sony. But yes they also are guilty of closing studios. It sucks. When I said it wasn't healthy despite me not liking those games is not healthy for the industry when mega-corps gobble everything up.
    It most certainly fits in the discussion. You'd mentioned EA buying studios, which included Bullfrog (Populous) and in the case of Sony, they had bought another big European studio that eventually got shut down. Bullfrog and Psygnosis were beloved studios by computer gamers in the 80s'. Now both are gone, because they were used up and tossed aside, when the talent behind those companies left.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Sony have closed down a number of Studios like Zipper, Stuido Liverpool, Guerilla UK, Evolution Studios, SEGA themselves shut down No Clinch, Secret level.

All big corps will higher and fire. I'll be very happy to see SEGA output on Gamepass on day one and to get some serious investment into their games myself, but I guess not everyone will want it
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

Rare being a shell of their former self can likely be attributed to the fact MS forced them to change their particularly unique work attitudes and style to a more stereotypically corporate one, according to one of the ex-members (I can't remember who, think it was Dave Wise who said about it).
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I do thanks. I'd love to see SEGA part of the Xbox family.
    No, you don't.
    05/05/15

Master of Shinobi

This is clearly the most logical explanation for Microsoft's actions:
    https://www.giantbomb.com/intellivis...te-wi-1900897/

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    No, you don't.
    I'll be quite happy with SEGA unified and developing for just one console again, the thought of Series X powering SEGA Arcade division and where you have a backer willing to invest tens of billions in its developers and so much of SEGA IP then being up on Gamepass
    . I very much rather than to SEGA going to Tencent.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    No, you don't.
    When someone is deluded, hard to convince them. His fantasy is SEGA back in consoles! When it would not work out like that at all. Not like oh all of a sudden all these old IPs are back! Nope. Arcades are back! Nope. They'd be reduced in size and be a Sonic/Yakuza machine with the odd HD remaster here and there. Just be another studio lost in the crowd.

When someone is deluded, hard to convince them. His fantasy is SEGA back in consoles! When it would not work out like that at all. Not like oh all of a sudden all these old IPs are back! Nope. Arcades are back! Nope. They'd be reduced in size and be a Sonic/Yakuza machine with the odd HD remaster here and there. Just be another studio lost in the crowd.
    And you're like a child and also wrong too. MS/XBox is on both console and PC and this isn't about having SEGA make its own console. It's about SEGA being unified and developing on a single console again to go along with the PC and all its titles on Gamepass, a big difference.
    No one is saying Arcades are back either, but SEGA still makes Arcade games and them nice to see go back to how it used the best console hardware around to power its Arcade games like with Chihiro, it opens up the door for more ports and the old dream of the Arcade users playing against the home user. Given with every one of its recent investments, Xbox is increasing the studio size and their budgets, why you think it would be any different with SEGA, I do not know, that's to overlook currently for SEGA it's been mainly about Sonic and Yakuza's to bring in the money for decades along with Footy manager.

Still didn't people like used to make fun of the Xbox and how MS was going to pull the plug?. Those days are long gone and that chequebook still isn't finished, SEGA next please Phil...
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I never understood this sentiment. Why be locked to one platform when you could let the hardware makers battle out their razor-thin margins and develop for all platforms? We'll never have a Panzer Dragoon Saga situation again. Even back in the day, Sega was releasing ports for PC.

David Rosen himself said Sega only made custom hardware because in the early days the technology wasn't there to realize the vision. As soon as the hardware caught up, there wasn't any more reason to have custom hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I never understood this sentiment. Why be locked to one platform when you could let the hardware makers battle out their razor-thin margins and develop for all platforms? We'll never have a Panzer Dragoon Saga situation again. Even back in the day, Sega was releasing ports for PC.

David Rosen himself said Sega only made custom hardware because in the early days the technology wasn't there to realize the vision. As soon as the hardware caught up, there wasn't any more reason to have custom hardware...
    Think like that. SEGA would have never made it's own console hardware and just developed on the NES. The dream of SEGA taking on EA to be a giant in the multi platform world never really worked out. It seems the best games from SEGA when they're focused on a single platform.

I've also never had any issue with SEGA on the PC. It's why I've never understood why people make such a big deal over MS games being on the PC. The users are different and it's clear with nearly 13 million Series Xbox being sold, it's not hurting the demand with Xbox games being on the PC, even SONY is starting to embrace the PC.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-21-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information