Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: So M$ is gobbling up Activision/Blizzard!?

SEGA hasnt made good in-house games since the mid-2000s. Let's face it. SEGA just licenses out its franchises to indie developers who do right by it, but they dont do anything themselves. Note the following:

Sonic Mania
    Streets of Rage 4
    Panzer Dragoon (Remake)
    Shenmue III

Sega is a rudderless ship at this point with a ton of IPs that sit dormant. Someone name me a worthwhile Sega game from the last five years not named Yakuza that was developed in-house. Puyo Puyo Tetris? The Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania HD Remaster? SEGA was putting out quality games for even the Gamecube and the PSP. They haven't put out anything quality in ages. They blocked two sequels to Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 for god knows what reason.

Consoles like BonusKun said would just complicate things and further waste development money.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    SEGA hasnt made good in-house games since the mid-2000s. Let's face it. SEGA just licenses out its franchises to indie developers who do right by it, but they dont do anything themselves.
    What are you talking about? Are the tens of brilliant Yakuza/Judgment games not enough for you? Atlus is now a subsidiary of Sega too. Where are your contributions?

Think like that. SEGA would have never made it's own console hardware and just developed on the NES.
    Did you even read what I wrote? In the times of NES 20+ years ago, MD was necessary to realize the specific hardware requirements for games at the time. Now? The entire industry is different, even Sony does very little in-house hardware engineering anymore. Both Xbox and PS5 run on chipsets from AMD.

Hero of Algol

In terms of new games developed/published, I honestly don't see any big damage if Sega would be owned by Microsoft.

It could be even be better in terms of not having cheapo remakes like Panzer Dragoon being made; maybe some better production values. Maybe.
    And likely better modern Sonic games.

The part that worries me is how the brand would be used and *protected*. We have gotten some cool fan service stuff like the Mega Drive mini, Sega Forever, Sonic Mania and quite a lot of leniency with homebrew/fan made projects.

As I really don't care about current gen games, I'd still prefer things to stay as they are. The homebrew communities probably have a lot more to lose than to gain if big shot Microsoft becomes Sega's owner.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    What are you talking about? Are the tens of brilliant Yakuza/Judgment games not enough for you? Atlus is now a subsidiary of Sega too. Where are your contributions?

Did you even read what I wrote? In the times of NES 20+ years ago, MD was necessary to realize the specific hardware requirements for games at the time. Now? The entire industry is different, even Sony does very little in-house hardware engineering anymore. Both Xbox and PS5 run on chipsets from AMD.
    Not to mention Persona is enjoying it's most successful period ever. 5 is a massive success and got a Sequel on multiple platforms. Massive sales success on the systems most successful in Japan and in the west. Shin Megami Tensei V in 2 months on Switch became the best-selling mainline SMT game in the series history. SEGA is far from rudderless and directionless. They are enjoying some great games with success right now.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    SEGA hasnt made good in-house games since the mid-2000s. Let's face it. SEGA just licenses out its franchises to indie developers who do right by it, but they dont do anything themselves. Note the following:
    Let's face it, I doubt you've actually bought a SEGA In-House game since the min 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post

I did actually and if it was all about waiting for hardware to catch up. SEGA would have never bothered with the Master System and just stuck with the NES and who needed the MD when you had the PC Engine?, NEC even gave us CD ROM before the rest too.
    And MS and SONY use variations of AMD chipsets and use offer different development systems and development environments, both are not the same.

People had fun calling MS out, now those times have changed. MS is serious about gaming, console gaming and committing billions & billions to it, I like SEGA to be a part of that myself.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-21-2022 at 01:34 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Some interesting thoughts regarding the acquisition from Phil Spencer in a recent interview:

In discussing some of the intellectual properties owned by Activision Blizzard, Spencer’s excitement may have mirrored the enthusiasm of a “StarCraft” player noticing the long-dormant franchise’s logo in Microsoft’s acquisition announcement.

“I was looking at the IP list, I mean, let’s go!” Spencer said. “ ‘King’s Quest,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ … I should know this but I think they got ‘HeXen.’ ”

“We’re hoping that we’ll be able to work with them when the deal closes to make sure we have resources to work on franchises that I love from my childhood, and that the teams really want to get,” Spencer said. “I’m looking forward to these conversations. I really think it’s about adding resources and increasing capability.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...-phil-spencer/

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post

People had fun calling MS out, now those times have changed. MS is serious about gaming, console gaming and committing billions & billions to it, I like SEGA to be a part of that myself.
    It's not that simple. When a company takes over, they usually like to impose company policies on the acquired company, changing things like benefits, management structure and who reports to who. I'm working at a company called L3 Harris, that had merged with another company 2 years ago. The guy I'm working with says that the new policies suck and that their benefits have been totally changed. When things like this happen, some talent just walks away and starts their own company, or finds another job.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's not that simple. When a company takes over, they usually like to impose company policies on the acquired company, changing things like benefits, management structure and who reports to who. I'm working at a company called L3 Harris, that had merged with another company 2 years ago. The guy I'm working with says that the new policies suck and that their benefits have been totally changed. When things like this happen, some talent just walks away and starts their own company, or finds another job.
    Go back just a few years to the likes of 2017; when we had rumours of MS having a small E3 booth and in come loads of people saying the XBox is dead, MS is pulling out, selling the XBox Division, the Xbox got no exclusives, lacks In-House teams and is only about Forza, Gears and Halo, Xbox One will be its last console. Now contrast that to the last couple of years. MS is Mega serious about gaming and spending a small fortune on its IP and In-House teams

MS has kept very hands-off with its recent buys, I would see no reason why it would be that different for SEGA. The big irony will be mind, now that SONY is on the back foot and can't match the spend of a $2 trillion dollar corp that is spending BIG on gaming SONY can't buy the likes of Take Two, but will need to answer back and so SONY could buy the likes of SEGA or Capcom given they're only a few billion dollars. I rather see SEGA on XBox and Gamepass myself, but I wouldn't be too upset if they went with SONY. Just as long as the evil Tencent don't buy SEGA.

Either way its a great time to be a Xbox gamer and fan.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Are you typing that trainwreck of a response on a phone TA?

I wasn't talking about the whole Xbox is dead nonsense. I really don't give a fuck, because my Xbox is a PC and MS surely don't care if I play their games on a PC, or an Xbox. They care about Xbox gaming services, which will eventually encompass cloud gaming and then no gaming console at all.

The whole Activision purchase can be blocked by the Federal Trade Commission, and most likely will. Nvidia tried to purchase ARM for $40 billion and the FTC stomped a mud hole in that idea.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/9/2...ductor-lawsuit

There's no proof that MS has been hands off with any of their acquisitions. Where TF has RARE been?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Are you typing that trainwreck of a response on a phone TA?

I wasn't talking about the whole Xbox is dead nonsense. I really don't give a fuck, because my Xbox is a PC and MS surely don't care if I play their games on a PC, or an Xbox. They care about Xbox gaming services, which will eventually encompass cloud gaming and then no gaming console at all.

The whole Activision purchase can be blocked by the Federal Trade Commission, and most likely will. Nvidia tried to purchase ARM for $40 billion and the FTC stomped a mud hole in that idea.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/9/2...ductor-lawsuit

There's no proof that MS has been hands off with any of their acquisitions. Where TF has RARE been?
    I have tried to make the point with you before on MS making money off the PC gamer, so let's not go there.

This all about intent and when you are spending the levels that MS is spending on gaming, MS isn't going anywhere and is serious about gaming.

I love Xbox and would love SEGA to be a part of Xbox studios given the commitment and money MS is now putting beside the Xbox

Either way, it's a fabulous time to be a Xbox gamer now.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I have tried to make the point with you before on MS making money off the PC gamer, so let's not go there.

This all about intent and when you are spending the levels that MS is spending on gaming, MS isn't going anywhere and is serious about gaming.

I love Xbox and would love SEGA to be a part of Xbox studios given the commitment and money MS is now putting beside the Xbox

Either way, it's a fabulous time to be a Xbox gamer now.
    This purchase isn’t about Xbox dude. They don’t care about Sony and their cute little console. This is about the future and fighting for Cloud gaming between Google, Meta (Facebook) and Apple. The days of Sony and MS manufacturing new consoles are coming to a close. There may not be a PS6, or Xbox next, because they want us all to be on digital gaming services.

Hero of Algol

This purchase isn’t about Xbox dude. They don’t care about Sony and their cute little console. This is about the future and fighting for Cloud gaming between Google, Meta (Facebook) and Apple. The days of Sony and MS manufacturing new consoles are coming to a close. There may not be a PS6, or Xbox next, because they want us all to be on digital gaming services.
    Dude, I wish I could have repped you twice but I did it once at least.

You're dead right about the real target here.
    The Xbox is nothing more than a smokescreen for MS at this point. It's all about the cloud service race.
    The gaming service is one area of cloud computing where MS has a clear advantage over Amazon and they're trying to explore it as much as possible. The pandemic was a blessing for all companies you cited but especially for Amazon.
    OTOH, traditional companies such as IBM and Oracle have pretty much lost the race and they're in clear decline.

I'd suggest reading articles like these:
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/ora...th-51615478653
    https://www.ft.com/content/ded67317-...1-fc72646dee12
    https://siliconangle.com/2021/11/13/...-accelerating/
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...oft-vs-amazon/

This is all about making the 'Xbox' being the gaming capital of the world. I love SEGA to be a part of that myself.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Dude, I wish I could have repped you twice but I did it once at least.

You're dead right about the real target here.
    The Xbox is nothing more than a smokescreen for MS at this point. It's all about the cloud service race.
    The gaming service is one area of cloud computing where MS has a clear advantage over Amazon and they're trying to explore it as much as possible. The pandemic was a blessing for all companies you cited but especially for Amazon.
    OTOH, traditional companies such as IBM and Oracle have pretty much lost the race and they're in clear decline.

I'd suggest reading articles like these:
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/ora...th-51615478653
    https://www.ft.com/content/ded67317-...1-fc72646dee12
    https://siliconangle.com/2021/11/13/...-accelerating/
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...oft-vs-amazon/
    When you're spending nearly $90 billion dollars, it's no smokescreen, but intent.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

This is all about making the 'Xbox' being the gaming capital of the world. I love SEGA to be a part of that myself.
    It has nothing to do with Xbox. It's about becoming a digital service where everything from your games saves to the games you play, will be streamed from the cloud. There's no money in selling physical hardware. The Xbox console, itself, will never make back that $68 billion and in the past 20 years Xbox hasn't even scratched the surface of that number. Cloud gaming is the future and MS is making a hard push to be at the top, while Google, Sony, Nvidia and the rest of the gang are still trying to figure out how to get in on the game.

You might want to brush up on Cloud Computing. Nvidia is using it to do deep learning and other services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-22-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Thread Information