Quantcast

Thread: The Cheap-Ass Gamer Thread: What game is the best bang for your buck in 2022?

Default The Cheap-Ass Gamer Thread: What game is the best bang for your buck in 2022?

We talk so much about prices on this forum that it feels like people miss out on the bigger picture of some really excellent games out there that are dirt cheap right now and very playable and fun.

The last few years I've been playing basically everything on the following consoles: Steam/PC, the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS, the PSP. I am having a hard time finding a classic great game that WASNT on these systems in some fashion. And I am not necessarily talking piracy or hacking or emulation either. I am talking buying a system/game and it just being cheap and good. If you're talking to a young gamer, what are you telling them to play for cheap in 2021?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

PC, etc : Battle for Wesnoth (free) and Faster Than Light

edit: Sorry I misread OP. There are lots of great somewhat obscure and probably not ported cheap games on MD, aren't they ? Particularly if you buy them loose, or without manual or in medium condition

Also as this kid seems to be able to time travel, why not go back to the 80s or 90s and just but a console on release day ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Banned by Administrators Road Rasher

Balan Wonderworld - roll your eyes at all the unfavorable "reviews".
    Superb game of imagination and exploration. Original characters and world. It's just there for you to figure it out, no hand holding. No instructions, no tutorial - explore and figure it out.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

If I were just getting into older games today, I'd get an everdrive or some variation thereof for the console I was interested in. Or perhaps even better yet, the mini consoles. I don't know exactly how retropies work, but people talk about those all the time. There are a lot of inexpensive ways to get into older games nowadays, seemingly more than ever. Ten years ago, or even less, you could make a list of the best games that went for under $20 a piece or so on ebay, but nowadays you don't need to be a computer expert or whatever to experience entire libraries via emulation. It's actually a great time for younger people to get into retro gaming because there are so many cheap options available.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Balan Wonderworld - roll your eyes at all the unfavorable "reviews".
    Superb game of imagination and exploration. Original characters and world. It's just there for you to figure it out, no hand holding. No instructions, no tutorial - explore and figure it out.
    I've just bought the physical version for less than £10 new including postage. I'm going into it with an open mind and whilst conscious of the reviews, I'm going to make my own mind up. The art and concept looks interesting and the game is hard to ignore given how cheaply it can be picked up.

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Iím not quite sure what your aiming for Baloo. Are you taking about games for current hardware, or just everything in general?

Iíd recommend getting a PS2, for anyone looking to get into classic gaming, and the graphics are not so old that they would turn them off. Gran Turismo 4 can be had on the cheap and it offers a ton of gameplay. Iíd also recommend Final Fantasy X. Itís very common, has a lot of side objectives that can be completed and it is probably one of the last traditional style FF games.

The new hardware Iíd say the switch and Cruis Ďní Blast. The game can be had for $30 and it just has that classic arcade style racing thatíll have you wanting to play just one more round. Thereís lots of hidden areas to find and looking to collect all of the keys will have you returning to tracks to complete the collection.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Rocket League may just be my favorite game of all time, and it's absolutely free on a number of platforms. All monetization is purely cosmetic, and the game gives you lots of free stuff just for playing. It's not for everyone, but it'd be the first game I'd push. Second would be Phantasy Star Online 2, which has a ton of content (though not nearly as much on the updated open world New Genesis side) and playable for free. Kind of blows my mind paying $99 (~$191 today) for PS4 back in the day but now you can play something so much more advanced for free.

Games are cheaper now than they've ever been. I'm completely jealous by how good kids and people in general have it now. The only time I personally feel sticker shock is looking up used games 10-20 years old... which is sad, but that's how things are now. If this question was intended to be in context of retro games, I'd agree that the PS2 is probably the system to get since you'd get two whole console generations' libraries to access and a number of cheap, fun options available such as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses, Otostaz, Katamari Damacy, Klonoa 2 (JP version), etc. I think the Wii's library has a number of good, cheap games, and I'd also consider an Xbox One/Series S|X with Game Pass as a great option for playing games on a budget.

Modern games, I'll say Titanfall 2 and the Elite Dangerous & then Gamepass
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information